Borderlands 2 Mechromancer class to be added via DLC

Tuesday, 10th April 2012 00:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Gearbox has announced a surprise fifth class for Borderlands 2, and revealed players will have more customisation options in the anticipated sequel.

During a panel at PAX East 2012, as reported by GameInformer, Gearbox unveiled the Mechromancer class, a new female character who controls a giant robot known as D374-TP, or Deathtrap.

Only concept art has been released from the event, as the class is stil under development; the Mechromancer will be available as post-launch DLC in addition to the four shipped on-disc.

Players will have greater flexibility to shape each of the five classes as they see fit, unlocking costume pieces and character heads through levelling up and completing missions. Players with a Borderlands save will automatically receive an exclusive costume and head.

Gearbox also made mention of a special edition, which will cost $149.99. We don’t have any images yet, but the packaging is said to resemble a loot box.

Borderlands 2 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in September.

1. LOLshock94

gay or wut

2. Talkar

I don’t see what this has to do with anyones sexuality tbh…

3. Brenna Hillier

LOLshock94. Your repeated use of homophobic and sexist language has not gone unnoticed and is not acceptable. Pull your head in.

4. Giskard

I am slightly interested, although I wonder why they’re releasing this info now. Surely all the anti-DLC people will have a field day with this?

Depending on pricing, I’ll pick this up.

Okay, who am I kidding? It’s Borderlands. Consider it sold :(

5. Mystic Sage

Sounds like a badass pet class for Boderlands. When I read the tittle for this article I was thinking it was going to be like a Necromancer for machines bringing dead robots to life or taking control of enemy robots to fight for you. I wonder if the class will have abilities like this just a thought

6. LOLshock94

i was on about gay as in happy as im very happy about this class as it sounds like it suits my style of play, the sexist comments ive said are to minor to take serious and if they have offended you, you should of said it before and not now.

7. Brenna Hillier

I’m saying it now. Cut it out.

8. Gigabomber

WTF. Announcing DLC I’m going to want and not saying it is a gamestop exclusive? madness..

9. The_Red

Seriously!? Announcing a FULL class as DLC more than 5-6 months before release? I love Gearbox but this is just a major DICK move. It’s not a free DLC (pre-order free one doesn’t count). F*** you GB.

10. endgame

So? Day 1 DLC! Yay! :)

11. Telepathic.Geometry

I think it’s a bit off too, but fuck it, it’s Borderlands 2. They know they’ve got us by the WubWubs.

12. CMcAfee

As a pre-order bonus it makes perfect sense to announce it this early, then they can show it off a bit to drum up the pre-orders which are so important to shareholders.

Thanks Brenna, I have been shocked that the little troll hasn’t been banned before now. You’re the best.

13. DSB

I guess it depends on the overall strategy. If they’re gonna keep adding classes, and the price isn’t atrocious, then it’s a great way of keeping the game alive and interesting.

A bit like Dungeon Defenders or League of Legends.

@12 It does say post launch though. I hope it won’t be one of those on-disc DLC scams. Gearbox should be too good for that.

14. Phoenixblight

Uh where are people getting the whole Day 1 DLC stuff from or that it is exclusive to Gamestop. Neither this article nor the Game Informer one specify this. They do however state that the DLC is post launch and it will be free for those that preorder the game.

Lrn2Read.

15. OrbitMonkey

I can’t wait to see what the special edition will contain to warrant a $149.99 pricetag!! I want a gun… That shoots fire!!

16. DSB

@15 Just take a moment to think about how many lapdances you can get for that money. Then consider the fact that some people are gonna blow it all on junk that was made in China and a “schhhhuper eschcluschive artboohk”.

I’m sad now :(

17. OrbitMonkey

@16, Yeah, true that. Do you think in 20 years or so we’ll see guys on the antique’s roadshow getting their heartbroken, when told daddy’s heirloom isn’t worth it’s weight in shit?

18. DSB

@17 Who can tell.

All I know is I’d rather have someone who was born in China on my junk, than something that was made in China, and is junk.

19. OrbitMonkey

Careful what you wish for DSB ;-)

20. DSB

@19 Hahahaha!

Holy shit. That’s the last time I leave out the qualifying adjectives.

21. LOLshock94

@7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yyY_Gk-tgY

22. silkvg247

Ugh, DLC. That’s a no, then. I mean I pay for DLC that’s an “expansion” as I did for all the borderlands expansions. But extra pixels? Or a new class? How about no..! You greedy arses. :p

Shame, she looks awsome, it’s rare to find a female avatar I can relate to.

23. freedoms_stain

@22, we don’t know what form the “dlc” will take yet though. It might come as part of an expansion, or as part of a larger content drop.

I’m not going to hang Gearbox on this until full details emerge.

btw, did you ever get that alternative PS3 controller and is it any good?

24. silkvg247

Ah yes, I did and it is! I’ll update le post.