Quick Quotes – WWII, feudal Japan and Egypt considered too “boring” for Assassin’s Creed

Wednesday, 4th April 2012 22:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“People on the internet suggest the most boring settings. The three most wanted are WWII, feudal Japan and Egypt. They’re kind of the three worst settings for an AC game. Writer Corey May really wants to do India. I would too. I’d really love to do the Raj.” – Assassin’s Creed 3 creative director Alex Hutchinson to OXM.

1. The_Red

No, they are not. Egypt would have made a really unique and interesting game. Same for feudal Japan. The only boring one is WW2.

2. DSB

No shit, the French got steamrolled in WW2. “Boring”. I bet, next time you should consider putting up a fight.

Egypt and Japan would be pretty lame. You can’t roll back the technology like that. Maybe Manchuria or Korea in the early 20th century.

3. Edo

Egypt…would really be a colourful setting(brown….and then some more brown)and Japane is something that could have been interesting…and could still happen in the future (as AC main writer Corey May hinted in one of his GI interviews).

4. JimFear-666

i would fucking love to see a game with shao-jun.

5. TheWulf

It’s not that it would be boring, but it would be even more anachronistic, and … you know, people. People flip a shit at anachronisms.

So if you started going clockpunk or steampunk with Egypt, you’d have people flailing around screaming about how it wasn’t historically accurate. And this is why we can’t have nice things.

As a side note, Atomic Robo did clockpunkish things with Egypt and it was absolutely hilarious. Sigh. To see such creativity and fun commonplace rather than rare.

6. Sini

No way Egypt would be boring. FIrst part of game Egypt, middle part Mesopotamia, and for finale some kinda dinosaur Neanderthal thing.

or better yet,
    just substitute terminator for assassin.

but instead we got american revolutions, which no one gives a shit about; even americans dont care how many stars the flag has.

7. MadFingerz

For AC maybe, but feudal Japan’s an amazing setting for an assassin’s game with free running gameplay….

8. Brenna Hillier

I think when they say “boring” they probably mean “overused”. Japan and ancient/classical Egypt are both regularly used as “exotic” locations in various forms of media. Everyone knows what a samurai is; everyone’s seen a pyramid. Do you know anything about the American Revolution besides a list of names and dates?

Also, Assassin’s Creed and Assassin’s Creed II both examined periods of history that are often overlooked, but had incredibly important implications for the whole world, right up until the present day. While both Egyptian and Japanese history are full of worthy tales, neither country has the kind of flashpoint conflict AC does best. I’d love to see an AC game about the Sengoku conflicts or the Meiji restoration, but it wouldn’t fit in with the franchise’s themes very well, because both were largely local affairs.

The American revolution seems “boring” to some people because they had to study it at school and it’s part of the western cultural background; it doesn’t have that exotic flavour (or they’re anti-American). All world history is equally boring or interesting depending on how you approach it. I hope Ubisoft can demonstrate that.

9. DSB

I really hope you’re wrong about that Brenna.

I’d say the French and American revolutions marked the end of the dark ages and the beginning of our time. It’s the big bang of enlightenment, and they’re still 100% relevant 300 years after the fact.

It’s a scary thought to think that people would be allowed to vote without knowing or caring about those events.

10. Brenna Hillier

Do you mean, you hope I’m wrong about people finding them boring? Did you read Sino’s comment? I see stuff like that all the time. It really worries me.

Personally I’m really excited about it. I should have made it clear that I think the American Revolution is precisely the kind of important period the AC series is keen on – as opposed to the Japanese examples I mentioned.

11. Fnoros

how could they implement the parkour/free-running gameplay in egypt? i may just be horribly ignorant, but wasn’t it mostly desert, with some low buildings, and a few huge monuments scattered about? And from what i’ve seen, traditional japanese buildings don’t seem very climbable. At least feudal japan had some forests, so the whole tree-climbing thing ubisoft is adding could still work.

12. DSB

Yeah, I guess I just don’t get how it could ever be put in that category.

I mean when I was 13 I would scoff at literally anything. I couldn’t even take the World Wars seriously. That’s one thing, but when you’re a person with a developed brain, it’s kinda hard to see how the American Revolution could ever be boring.

Even beyond the societies it created, it’s a fundamentally great story. David versus Goliath, practically note by note. I’d just hate to think that people could become desensitized to that sort of thing.

If it helps though, I’m all for writing a few Autobots and Decepticons into the history books.

13. Erthazus

I don’t know. I’m not a fan of American revolution either. Not because it’s history sucks or anything, but because 1750+ – 1810 years are not really interesting to be honest and it’s not just America, it’s Europe and everything else too. That’s my opinion.

For example i’m a big fan of what Rockstar did with Red Dead Redemption. My favourite game in 2010 and it’s setting was freakin’ fantastic, especially the last act when they showed the start of the Industrialisation in The United States Of America. The atmosphere was amazing.

but American revolution feels just empty and Assassin running in his stupid and weird clothes in 1777 fighting American leaders is just retarded. + Not to mention that Assassins Creed team can’t really make a great atmosphere since the first game despite it’s settings.

I think the reason why they took American Revolution is because of conspiracy theories. To this day people speculate a lot about illuminati, about American flag creation, dollar and etc.
    Illuminati movement was founded on May 1, 1776 in Bavaria so no doubt they are going to milk everything related to it especially in 1777.

PS: Also, WW2 as a setting for Assassins Creed? I’m just sorry… Someone who wants that just don’t understand what happened in WW2 and what it is about.
    I want to say that it is not about running and jumping and doing shit know what with sexy blades.
    Egypt could be interesting though.

14. albo88

im not a fan of American settings games just for the simple fact that there are so many game out there in years that talk all a but USA
    fuck that shit
    in games of to day i will like to see more for Romans empire Greeks ect
    sure there are a lot of strategy games there but they don’t really tell a detailed story

15. Ireland Michael

lolamericahate

Kids will be kids, I guess.

16. back_up

india lol
    AC4 beggars country
    beggers all over the street

17. YoungZer0

My biggest concern about the american settings had been destroyed by everything the developers and the previews said.

The revolution is not the big part of the story (Sorry, i just don’t care about the American Revolution, it has been explored quite a lot in videogames and none of those games managed to make it interesting), the story is focused around the character of Connor and his revenge. His motivations for joining the assassins are much more interesting than Ezio’s. He seems to be the complete opposite from Ezio, which to me is a damn good thing. The cities are small, but there is now tree climbing, so that’s good. The wild life aspect is intriguing and one of the best parts about RDR.

I think AC set in WW2 would be interesting though, but people who might be interested in that can play Saboteur.

I still want my AC set in pre-soviet russia though. Now that’s a unique setting. Never touched in any videogame before.

@13: “Someone who wants that just don’t understand what happened in WW2 and what it is about.”

Clearly you don’t understand how the previous AC Games worked.

“Feudal Japan is interesting, but i think Japanese developers will do it better and there are already a lot of games with Japan.”

Oh yeah, go on show me a proper Feudal Japan game from Japan. One that was made for the 360/PS3. Japanese developer don’t seem to be able to produce a proper Ninja game for years. The last good Ninja game was Shinobido, compare it to AC and it sucks.

18. YoungZer0

Oh and i really, really hope that Connor has some better costumes. His current look just doesn’t fit the setting and kind of breaks the immersion for me. Native american clothes without a hoody would be nice.