Vita firmware 1.65 coming soon

Tuesday, 3rd April 2012 06:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has flagged an upcoming Vita firmware update which adds a couple of new system settings options.

It’s not clear whether the update is optional or mandatory, nor has Sony provided a release date.

Update 1.65 includes:

• A “Notification Alert” option will be added to Settings, so you can toggle alerts on or off
  • “After 10 minutes” will be added to the time options under Power Save Settings
  • An Arrow icon will now appear when PS Vita finds new activities in the LiveArea
  • Caps Lock will be supported in the On Screen Keyboard

Expect further details on the PS Blog.

1. Erthazus

Sony, how about new games for the system?

2. back_up

that question suits more to PC where graphics card are released almost every 6 months but none game maximize it hehehehehehe

3. awaltzforvenus

That’s nice. I’m still not interested in a Vita until it can natively play the PSOne Classics that I’ve already purchased, though. I’m finding very little reason why the Vita can’t offer that functionality, considering the PSP and PSP Go handle the games with no problem at all.

4. Goffee

#3 I think Sony wants folks to buy some new games first before opening up the archives, its a bit dumb but kinda makes sense from their perspective.

5. Erthazus

@3, Reason for this is simple: Piracy

Sony just don’t want some pirates to crack Vita by using PS1 classics exploit. So they are working on it.

6. awaltzforvenus

@4 & 5 – Fair points, both of them. Still, though…on the other hand, they’re telling me that, for the time being, I’d sooner enjoy a PSP purchase than a Vita purchase (much larger games catalog, PSOne/Minis compatibility, etc). Time will tell with the Vita, I suppose; I’m interested in it, but don’t have any plans to purchase one until I see more of the games I like (RPGs, mostly) and PSOne compatibility. The only truly impressive game I can recall seeing lately has been Uncharted. And even then, there were a lot of gimmicky touch controls in the demo I played that I didn’t care much for.

7. awaltzforvenus

That said, if they can bring out some solid RPG and FPS offerings for Vita, that could absolutely change my mind a bit. I’m actually surprised to not see an FPS for Vita out of the gate, considering that was something of a pain point on PSP (lack of a second analog nub).

8. Cozzy

@7 Yeah, at the moment there are only three Vita titles that I’d be interested in which kinda puts me off getting one as well. What they have planned however looks pretty decent which is why I have faith in the Vita and is why I’m getting one fairly soon.