Mists of Pandaria’s plot has “lighter tone” to Cataclysm

Tuesday, 3rd April 2012 10:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Blizzard’s said that WoW add-on Mists of Pandaria isn’t going to be as bleak as previous expansion Cataclysm.

“The big hook to Pandaria is that as we roll up on the beach, all the hate and violence we bring as Alliance and Horde really kind of begins to make the Sha bubble up,” Blizzard VP of creative development Chris Metzen told PC Gamer.

“And the Sha is something that’s been contained for ten thousand years. It has been a very serene place, and of course our shenanigans break it, heavily.” he says in contrast to Lich King feeling tragic and Cataclysm’s bleakness, Pandaria has a lighter tone.

“The pandaren just help facilitate that contrast and that soul-searching. Because Pandaren don’t get super hot, they don’t get super cold. They’ll fight and they’ll fight well, they’ll fight to win. But it takes a lot to make them angry. I don’t imagine they fight in a state of anger; they fight in a state of need, thoughtfully, and with gusto. But rarely out of anger. It’s been an interesting culture to write.”

Pandaria is currently in beta. Thanks, Shack.

1. back_up

Kung fu panda 3 Mists of Pandaria LMAO

2. GwynbleiddiuM

@1 OH, You again, this place was much nicer when you didn’t make any comments. For the hundred and twenty sixth time, Pandarens were in Warcraft universe before pandas were cool.

3. back_up

OH you place was much nicer when you didn’t make any comments again for two hundred and twenty seventh time this time poo
    is going to make special appearance in it

4. OrbitMonkey

Eesh, if I have to hear the whole “Panderians were here before Kung Fu Panda!” speel again -_-

Yeah ok, so why they not a staple of WoW? Oh because they were not very popular and dropped? It’d explain why their not really remembered by anyone but a few….

So why they back? Oh because of a popular cartoon that Blizzard are hoping to cash in on and attract some more subs? Of fucking course.

5. LOLshock94

@3 AHAHHAAAAHHAHAHA

6. OlderGamer

As long as they stay away from so many scripted events where you just watch your toon being wisked away as a story cut scene unfolds, I will be a happy gamer. Cati really irked me with stuff like that. It might be neat the first time through, neat is too strong a wrod, tolerable might be better. But by the time your doing it with your fourth, sixth or tenth toon, you just wanna reach into the screen and smack something.

I really hope MoP will be better then Cati. I didn’t enjoy cati much at all. Tho I like worgan, not their starting story, but the race.

7. TheWulf

What bothers me about it is that they had a completely different design for the Pandarens originally, completely different. And now they’ve gone with this design that reeks Kung-fu Panda.

Yes, Pandarens were a JOKE in Warcraft before Kung-fu Panda. But here we see them retooled to be very Kung-fu Panda-ish and retrofitted into the lore.

Then again, after Jesus Thrall, I can’t take Metzen seriously in regards to anything. I mean, really… Jesus Thrall. That is a thing, it happened. They turned Thrall into Azerothian Jesus.

And they follow up Jesus Thrall by turning a joke into a fully fledged expansion with an art style that looks directly ripped off of the likes of Kung-fu Panda.

Sorry, #4 is right.

For those curious…

Original Pandaren
    Mists of Pandaria Pandaren
    Kung-fu Panda

Obvious observation is obvious, needs no words.

8. Phoenixblight

All forms of media do this, look at Harry Potter or LOTR. Blizzard is not exactly known for their story writing they heavily “borrow” from other popular media.

9. TheWulf

Not denying that. Doesn’t make it right that they don’t give a shit about originality, that they don’t even try.

10. Erthazus

@7, Jesus Thrall?

What do you mean? He is the most powerful shaman in Warcraft universe and Blizzard achieved what they hoped for the expansion. Tell the story about the Thrall.

11. TheWulf

I’m not explaining it to you if you don’t already know. I’m really not. Just… Google ‘Jesus Thrall’ or just look up what they did with his new model and textures, COMBINED with his storyline.

Okay, fine, to save arguments…

I know you’re going to be lazy…

HERE

If you still have trouble figuring it out. Combine the above realisation with the new model and textures for Thrall.

“We’re not even trying to hide it anymore, guys. THRALL IS JESUS. ALL HAIL JESUS THRALL!”

12. Phoenixblight

THats the thing though Blizzard is not exactly original. Warcraft and Starcraft are two series that were “borrowed” from the Warhammer series. Its pretty much complaining about Michael Bay and his over use of explosions.

13. TheWulf

I know that too. I’ve picked them up on outright theft of Games Workshop IPs many times.

Again, I’m just saying that knowing this doesn’t make it right.

And who likes Michael Bay films? Seriously.

14. Phoenixblight

No not at all but its a part of their model and it makes them money.

“And who likes Michael Bay films? Seriously.”

Enough to warrant 3+ transformer movies.

15. TheWulf

One thing I will say at the end of this is that there was a part of Blizzard that I liked – Blizzard North.

What happened to them? They got sick of the corporate nature of Blizzard, which stifled their creativity and forced them to do the populist thing rather than what they wanted to do. So the founders of Blizzard North left, followed by such a mass exodus that Blizzard had to close Blizzard North.

Where are these guys now? At Runic Games and ArenaNet. And they’re either the founders or important employees of those development houses.

It’s all out there on the Internet if you want to read it. But the thing is is that Blizzard had been heading down the road of lowest common denominator pop-culture pap for a long, long time now. Blizzard North saw it coming and got out when the getting was good.

16. Phoenixblight

We have spoken about this and Blizzard North was going to be a part of Blizzaard after the first year of WOW’s release but Blizzard corp had left Blizzard North while the contract and paperwork were being drawn up. Blizzard North had signed the paperwork but Blizzard Corp didn’t finish the process. Need to stop romanticizing Blizzard North they are out for the same thing as Blizzard to get paid. The difference is Runic and ArenaNet are much smaller teams which allows them to be far more flexible than Blizzard Corp.

17. GwynbleiddiuM

@TheWulf, that is – with all due respect – horseshit mate. You could say that thing about a variety of historical and mythological icons not just some Prophet wannabe. Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Muhammad (the holy prophet of most fucked up religion), Ghandi, Moses (the other prophet), Buddha, etc, etc, etc, they all fit that description, also there are many people in Norse mythology, Persian mythology, ancient Egypt and east Asian mythology. I don’t like Thrall but I’m no hypocrite either and I certainly wont take anything I find on the internet as facts. And since when some dude’s forum post in what-was-its-name forum counts as fact? Jesus and Thrall can both cure disease? So does all mages, all druids, all paladins and all priests in WoW, doctors IRL as well as african witchdoctors, indian shamans or other equivalents in every culture, extinct or existing. What that even suppose to mean? And jesus did not had a father and it was said that God had his way with his mother, Thrall actually had a father and that father was murdered by Gul’dan’s men. And that absolutely has nothing to do with anything. I can accept and understand if you just don’t like Blizzard and their lore designs but what you’re saying is absolutely ridiculous.

BTW, other than Pandarens, we have many other races across the Azeroth that are inspired by wild life, like Taurens, Taunka, Tuskar, Worgen, Gnoll, Quilboar, Furbolg, etc. Why should Pandarens be a problem now and not Taurens, worgens, etc?

Also you didn’t bother yourself with the rest of the argument on that forum post and see the error of OP’s way.

18. DSB

@4 It is really something.

Apparently, you can make humanoid cows, walrusses, wolverines, wolves, pigs, rats, bears, snakes, and even fish… But pandas? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU PLAYING AT, BLIZZARD?!

Gotta love the batshit logic that goes into trying to making an argument like that :P

I fear for Blizzards love of pop culture references. I’m pretty sure most know that the universe has always been irreverent to itself, but I’ll bet you, the first ingame Kung Fu Panda joke is going to trigger yet another tsunami of loud digital WTFs.

Nobody minds the cows, a lot of people love the humanoid fish, but pandas.. That’s some controversial shit.

19. Giskard

I don’t see what you’re all complaining about – the story is simpler, but heck, it looks fun. Nothing wrong with a bit silliness in a game, once in a while.

20. OrbitMonkey

@DSB, Listen your Blizzard fanboy boner has obviously drained the blood from your brain. It’s pretty obvious that Blizzard are trying desperately to bring in some new blood by cashing in on Kung Fu Panda.

To deny it would be as silly as saying that DreamWorks probably got the inspiration for Po after playing a few games of WoW back in the……………………………………………………………………..

……………….. Oh shit :$

21. DSB

Uh oh!

I don’t understand why the discussion is worth having though.

Pandas come from China. China is the home of kung fu. Making a kung fu panda styled on Chinese culture is more than slightly obvious.

It’s a bit like asking two different artists to do a “British fox”. The chance that you get something similar is overwhelming. I’d go for a redcoat without even thinking about it.

I haven’t seen the movie, but based on the artstyle I really don’t see what the fuss is about. The pandaren were popular long before Kung Fu Panda, and as I recall, a lot of people were hoping for it to be the first race they added to the game.

22. Erthazus

@21, I remember during the TBC era people hoped that pandarens will be in the game (for alliance), but they were removed because of Draenei in the end.