WH40K: Dark Millennium no longer an MMO, lay-offs at Vigil, Relic

Thursday, 29th March 2012 19:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ has announced Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online is no longer an MMO, and the titles will be “refocused” as “an immersive single-player and online multiplayer experience with robust digital content, and engaging community features.” The resulting change has led to lay-offs at Vigil and Relic.

Team sizes at two THQ internal studios will be reduced by 79 full-time employees at Vigil Games in Austin, Texas, and 39 employees at Relic Entertainment in Vancouver, B.C. which in total is 118 employees.

“As previously announced, we have been actively looking for a business partner for the game as an MMO,” said Brian Farrell, THQ president and CEO. “However, based on changing market dynamics and the additional investment required to complete the game as an MMO, we believe the right direction for us is to shift the title from an MMO to a premium experience with single and multiplayer gameplay, robust digital content and community features.

“Because we believe strongly in the high-quality and vast creative work that is in production, this is the right decision for both our portfolio and for gamers devoted to this powerful property.”

Vigil Games will continue to focus on Dark Millennium as well as Darksiders II as Relic continues to focus on Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

Further product details, platforms and release timing will be announced at a later date.

1. LOLshock94

warhammer? that shit excuse for 40 year olds to collect toys?

2. Erthazus

Dark Millennium is no more MMO?

Oh shit. That’s just great. =/

3. TD_Monstrous69

Can’t say I’m a fan of Warhammer all that much, though sad to hear about the trouble that THQ is facing. I wish those lay-offed by THQ’s re-shuffling of the project nothing but the best, and hope they land on their feet.

4. Sam Clay

Never cool when people lose their jobs over this sort of thing :(

5. Ercarret

80 layoffs at Vigil? That sucks. I like them. 40 layoffs at Relic sucks too, but only, well, half as much. I guess.

Too bad it seems like Relic won’t be a part of the project anymore (if I’m reading the article correctly?), since a Vigil/Relic collaboration would have been very interesting to see. Not to mention that Relic have a great understanding of the W40K universe, which I think the project would have benefited from. Perhaps it already has, but their departure is a shame nonetheless.

I am, however, not especially sad to see the game transform from an MMO to whatever it’s becoming now. I’m not that into MMOs, so this is really changing an interesting game that I wouldn’t play into an interesting game that I may well pick up and play.

6. DSB

Retooling an MMO for a singleplayer RPG is not gonna do much except create a shitty RPG.

7. absolutezero

Thats pretty much all modern RPGs though, like Amalur that was just an MMO without other people to play with, the quests were just as dull.

I don’t know how I feel about this really I don’t really know if the MMO was going to be any good in the first place, but hearing its going to be made into a single player games just makes me doubt its quality even more.

I can’t wait for that shoe horned in Multiplayer component.

ugh.

8. ManuOtaku

I like the idea of this game turning into a rpg with a little bit of an online touch, i dont play MMO in the first place, and because i did like a lot amalur, i hope is as good as that one, if thats the case well it will be a day one purchase for me.

9. NeoSquall

I’m just relieved that THQ didn’t outright cancel it, that would’ve pissed me off much more :\

I wonder why they don’t roll it all in a sequel to Space Marine; it’s the same engine, the same setting, and now they have the chance to broaden the experience with more playable races and stories.

@1 LolShock, I thought you were more mature in the past, but in the last month you degraded very much. Did you get hit in the head perhaps?

10. TheWulf

Sadface.

This had the potential to be amazing.

Still, nice to know the assets aren’t being wasted and that something may come out of all that work.

Only if it’s a bad MMO.

11. LOLshock94

@9 because i have no life, confused and i am a full retard

12. DSB

@7 Yeah. I wouldn’t say it’s out of control, but the (first) Witcher was like that as well.

Running around grinding mobs isn’t my idea of fun.

MMOs are always sacrificing quality for quantity, and it’s the quantity aspect that makes up for that.

13. YoungZer0

@10: And by that you mean Kingdoms of Amalur.

14. Christopher Jack

@11, Wouldn’t surprise anyone on this site.

What’s with the ridiculously lone time to announce DoWIII? Brian keeps on teasing the announcement but it never happens… Shame what’s happening to both studios.

15. Jackie

RIP THQ

i have a feeling darksiders 2 will be their last game for a while

16. NeoSquall

@14 I reckon Danny Bilson saying at last GDC that the game is expected to come out in 2013, so I suppose they’re going to announce it at this E3 or GDC if they’re still “sticking to the plan”.

17. back_up

how many developers will PC gamers kill by pirating games

18. Kalain