Video: Rocksteady has “lots of exciting ideas” for next game

Sunday, 18th March 2012 22:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City developer Rocksteady is enthusiastic about its next project.

“We have lots of exciting ideas about what we want to do next,” game director Sefton Hill told us at the 2012 BAFTAs, where Rocksteady’s Batman: Arkham City nabbed the Best Action game award.

“It’s kind of interesting. When you come to the end, you feel like you’ve put everything in; it’s really convergent, the end of the game. And then when you start a new game it’s diverging, and everything becomes possible again.

“Immediately we sat down and thought right, what do we do next? And there were so many exciting ideas on the table.”

Nobody’s ready to say what Rocksteady’s next project will be, but Hill admitted he has Bats on the brain.

“You’re constantly thinking about what can we do to improve the game,” he said.

“If you could press CTRL+ALT+DEL in my brain, it would be 90% Batman at any given time. It sort of means that I can’t function in any other social capacity other than to talk about Batman,” he joked.

See our full chat with the positively glowing Rocksteady guys above.

1. Takeshi

I wouldn’t mind them going out of their way to try a new project as long as they eventually come back with a third Batman game. Just seems silly to even mention the TMNT rumour.

2. Cee

“I’m ready to wait and buy just about anything they release as long as they stay within the action and adventure genre.”

Waits for a Rocksteady announcement on their brand new My Little Pony action adventure game.

Awaits for takeshi to shoot oneself in the big toe..Unless you have Morton’s Toe…. if this is indeed the case… the big toe is next to your longest toe

3. Len

Be quite helpful if they fixed the pc version first of AC. I still can’t bloody play it, is a joke.

Patch coming next week apparently and I hope to god it sort the issues out as there are so many pissed off ppl, have a look on their forums.

Can someone at vg247 get them to comment on the problems?

4. Kabby

Why can’t you play it?

5. HauntaVirus

They need to give batman a rest and come back to it after a new game, that’s just me though.

6. The_Red

Agreed. Make a new ip or something different and then finish Arkham trilogy (We know they’re gonna call it that soon :) ).

7. Takeshi

@2: Who knows? With Rocksteady behind the game it could be awesome! :D

I just think the action and adventure is what they do best. Also my favourite genre for video games.

8. Edo

I have so much respect for these guys,for their work,the way they are thinking and their approach to Batman universe.The first two Batman games they made were genuine masterpieces and I have no doubt in my mind that what ever they do next(whether it’s another Batman game or a new IP)it will be equally epic.

9. YoungZer0

@3: Don’t bet on it. The game has been broken and without proper support for the past 4 months.

For me personally, the game runs in the single digits. On the lowest settings. With DX9.

Battlefield 3 runs on high with solid 60 fps.

The problem is that the support is only managed by one person, who just the middleman, not someone who can really help. We keep hearing the following things since release of the first (broken) patch:

Working hard on it.
    Final Stage.
    Seeking confirmation from our partners.
    Problem encountered.
    Sorry. Thanks for your support.
    Working hard on it.
    Final Stage.

Repeat.

Saturday was THE day. Reports about it being already uploaded to Steam … which for some reason apparently takes two days and then …

Problem encountered.
    Working hard on it.
    Sorry. Thanks for your support.

This is the last time i buy a game from Rocksteady. Crooks.

Why not a single gaming site has caught up on the story is beyond my understanding. They never really explained themselves. We’ve no idea what takes so fucking long. We don’t even know what’s going to be fixed, if ever.

10. Len

@4 What Young Zero just said basically.

I can get maybe a cpl of mins play and then it just locks up, get gfx driver issues/warnings (tried last years worth of official drivers) and so is totaly unplayable. Only managedf ot get past the intro with the Penguin twice. Like YZ – I can play bf3 on ultra settings on my rig so it’s not the machine.

Absolutely appaling by Rocksteady/Warner, someone needs to pull them up over it. I also won’t be buying another of their titles as I feel like I’ve been robbed.

11. DSB

I didn’t have any trouble playing it, but I have a pretty strong rig.

12. freedoms_stain

After finishing the mediocre piss streak that was The Force Unleashed 2 over the last couple of weeks I couldn’t help but wonder what these guys would do with a Star Wars license after the stellar work they’ve done with Batman.

Next game? Arkham Asylum>Arkham City>Arkham State/Country/Continent/World/Universe?

13. Takeshi

@12: I bet they’d make a heck of a game, but I doubt George Lucas would let them be in enough control. One of the reasons that The Unleashed games evidently suck is that Lucas has trust issues with games using the Star Wars license. Otherwise how come Unleashed II sucks as much as the first one?

14. YoungZer0

@13: Yeah, didn’t he write the story for Force Unleashed? That’s the worst thing next to the story.

What i really liked about FU though, was the art-direction. Definitely refreshing.