GameSpot, Giant Bomb stream recording goes up

Friday, 16th March 2012 08:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

For those who missed it, GameSpot’s put live on its YouTube channel the recording of its live stream last night between Giant Bomb‘s Jeff Gerstmann and GameSpot VP John Davison. The video talks about Gerstmann’s firing in 2007, the future of Giant Bomb and more after it was bought by GS parent company CBS Interactive yesterday. Get it below, with a full report here.

1. TheBlackHole

So… they treated me like shit, but then I wanted to sell the business, and they were like ‘hey, here’s some cashish’, and I was like ‘well alright man, that’s cool’.

2. djjoejoe

@TheBlackHole: You couldn’t be farther from the true, or any more ignorant of the situation between the people at Gamespot and Giantbomb, try actually watching the interview.

3. Ben

@1: I’m with @2 on this one I’m afraid – you need to watch the video and read about what went on.

4. TheBlackHole

I did watch it, thank you. They were very chummy, it was all very pleasant, and he explained that he loved lots of people there and that the his dismissal was done by a management team that may or may not (they never state) still be in place.

My point stands though. He wanted to sell the business and they offered the best deal – he freely admits he was shopping around.

I’m joking a little of course with the ‘dialogue’, but I can’t personally imagine going back to a business that fired me under such dubious circumstances. Also, wouldn’t he have had every right to sue for wrongful dismissal, if what he had done was true? You can’t fire someone for giving a game a bad score…

5. Ben

@4 The management team that fired him is no longer in place, it’s stated in the video.

To clarify, as well, he’s not going back to a business that fired him: the parent company, which also owns Gamespot, bought GiantBomb; GiantBomb remains an independent operation which will be sharing resources. The bosses at Gamespot are not now the bosses at GiantBomb.