Ninja Theory reiterates that Capcom didn’t want the same old with DMC

Thursday, 8th March 2012 20:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniade has reiterated that Capcom wanted the team to create something different for Devil May Cry, going as far as to tell the studio if it wanted the same old thing, ot wouldn’t have handed over the project.

Speaking with PSM3, Antoniade said originally, the team’s concept was very close to the original series, but Capcom shook its head at what NT came up with.

“Original concepts were very close to the original DMC, taking mixtures of the previous four games and creating a new interpretation,” Antoniade explained. “Capcom said something which they’ve said to us often, which is: ‘If it was going to be the same as the old DMC, why would we give this project to you guys? The reason is to surprise us, to come up with a reinvention. To create something we couldn’t have conceived in Japan.’”

Furthermore any Internet accusations of him asking the designers to make the new Dante look like him are ridiculous.

“What can I say? He’s a decade and a half younger than me, way better looking… The only thing he’s got is black hair. And he’s male,” he said.

“I didn’t design the character. I didn’t go to our designers and say, ‘I think it’s a really good idea if we make the new Dante look like me, because I want to be in the game.’ They’d laugh at me. They’d throw me out the window.”

Thanks, CVG.

1. YoungZer0

There. Have been telling people all the time. Never listen to me. Stupidity always seems to win when it comes to old DMC “Fans”.

I’m glad Capcom was so brave. To tell NT to go a completely new direction? This was definitely a bold move and i applaud them for that.

Something the “Fans” never seem to appreciate.

2. LastExile

After the disappointing DMC4, I really can’t wait for this. It looks amazing, gameplay looks fantastic, and while the “fans” want more of the same, it needed a reboot. Please don’t mess this up.

3. TD_Monstrous69

I was hooked on this new DMC from the first trailer that came out for it at TGS 2010. I’m looking forward to playing it whenever this comes out in 2012. Also, kinda don’t get where the accusations of “oh, they’re making Dante look like the guy who’s making the game”.

4. Gheritt White

This is a D1P for me, no doubt about it.

5. Maximum Payne

@1 Agree.Everyone can critcised fifa,cod… for looking/playing same then when you have like reboot with MoH or DMC that is also bad.

6. absolutezero

Ill be sad to see True Style Tournaments die to be honest. Ah well something that niche and rewarding and skill based was never going to exist in this day and age anymore.

Ta ta DMC Ill pick up your HD collection then bid you farewell.

May Donte treat you correctly chaps.

7. YoungZer0

@6: Thanks for supporting lazy HD ports.

8. LOLshock94

@7 i would rather support lazy hd port with over 30 hours of content then a 10 hour game made by the shittest devs known to slashers.