Top Cow hopes 2K want to produce more Darkness games

Saturday, 3rd March 2012 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Marc Silvestri, co-creator of the Darkness franchise, has told IGN Top Cow is “hoping to continue the video game adventures of Jackie Estacado.”

He even hinted that other games based on the firm’s graphic novel franchises were a possibility.

“We at Top Cow are, of course, hoping to continue the video game adventures of Jackie Estacado and his, um friend,” said Silvestri. “If we get that call from 2K it’ll be a great day for us…so fingers are crossed.

“As for more games pulled from the Top Cow universe well… that would be spoiling the surprise, wouldn’t it?”

As far as his closing comment is concerned, where the hell is that Witchblade game mentioned at ComicCon 2010, Silvestri? Or how about combining it with the Darkness and make one based on Artifacts?

We’d be tickled over any of it, really.

[image]

1. xino

good!

darkness 2 ending was sweet.

2. Talkar

I’m still waiting for the patch containing the FOV fix, but once that arrive, i’ll play it!

3. triggerhappy

@ 2: is the FOV that bad?? I got it for PC yesterday and i was going to start it on sunday mabey…

4. jldoom

Funny thing I just played the Demo on my PS3 and I actually enjoyed the bit I played. Most likely going to pick it up once the price drops a bit more.

5. absolutezero

Its bad but the worst thing is that once you get The Darkness itself even more of the screen is obscured with tentacles. Which makes it even worse.

Its not as bad as Syndicate and its playable but its still pretty irritating.

6. triggerhappy

I remember FarCry 2 having FOV issues, when i had just started playing it I felt sick… had a google about and BANG! i was introduced to the world of FOV and it’s effects. FarCry 2 had an unofficial fix though… wonder if theres one for The Darkness II…

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-N2eYKIcA

This youtube user says theres a fix. Might have a mess around tomorrow…

Here’s a proper link to the site: http://www.widescreenfixer.org/

TBH the default FOV looks just the same way the original Darkness did.

7. absolutezero

Its the same FoV as the original Darkness, only its no longer on a widescreen TV 6 feet away its on a 22″ monitor a foot away.

8. triggerhappy

Ahhh, I use my HDTV as my monitor and I have a gamer chair so it won’t be as much of an issue for me, but even so i found the original Darkness FOV to be quite restrictive… Whats your take on the new graphical style??? I much prefered the originals looks :(

9. SplatteredHouse

Ha! Yes, where is the Witchblade game that was mentioned before! Well remembered!
    Artifacts…Now, to do something around that story, it makes for a fantastic opportunity, and the timing’s good. :)

But, I’d be interested to see how, if that’s what they’d go for, they’d bring in all the people around that event, and have a game at the end that feels focused, and not just a who’s who of Witchblade.

edit: http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/01/hunter-killer-game-announced-by-saw-developer/
    Silvestri could also be talking about that project, but the Witchblade sounds the more compelling, especially if they work the Artifacts storyline around it somehow.

10. Edo

I was actually surprised how good The Darkness 2 was,my only 2 complaints were that it was a bit too linear and the SP campaign is really short.

11. absolutezero

I really like the new style. The increase in sharpness of the PC version really makes the whole thing “pop”. Altogethor it also gives the whole thing a little more of its own personality opposed to the first one which was really just another FPS. A great FPS but derivative and generic all the same.

12. triggerhappy

@ 11: LOL to me The Darkness was always not that good an FPS but a very good adventure game. I don’t even like FPS’s that much but the story, atmosphere and RPG like hub areas were the things that drew me in. Theres a bit more to do than just point and shoot. Just shows you different people can take different things away from the same experience.

13. DSB

The first one was pretty shit in my opinion, but 2 is quite good. It feels to me like Digital Extremes didn’t have the money and resources to really flesh it out though. If they could’ve built on the singleplayer campaign and really added some substance to the quiet bits, it would’ve been a monster.

It was right up there with the best of them when it really shone. I’ve heard that the coop is supposed to make up for the short singleplayer though. Gonna have to give it a go.

14. triggerhappy

@13: Just how short is single player? The original lasted me about 12 hours i’d say…

15. Stephany Nunneley

@9 ” but the Witchblade sounds the more compelling, especially if they work the Artifacts storyline around it somehow” – exactly my thoughts on the matter! That would be day one for me – providing it was done right. :)

16. DSB

@14 Mileage varies, but it’s not longer than Call of Duty, basically.

17. Phoenixblight

I clocked in at 5 and half hours on HItman difficulty. It isn’t that long and the ending is quite anti-climatic.

18. triggerhappy

@ 16+17: Thanks guys.

19. triggerhappy

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! THEY’VE TURNED THE DARKNESS IN TO A GENERIC FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!! I just played it there and what can i say… if feels like im playing COD with demon arms. ACTION ACTION ACTION. They’ve removed everything I liked about the series.

20. Phoenixblight

I felt the same way I liked how the first game had atmosphere like being able to watch flash gordon or have classic songs on the radio along with new talking about Jackie’s latest destruction. And now they have that little monkey thing who reminds me of Jar Jar Binks who was just created for purely comedy relief.

21. triggerhappy

@20: Yeh it was the small things like that I enjoyed too. There was lot’s of attention to detail. I always felt the original was a sort of first person-action-adventure hybrid, I had never played anything like it before. I know it got slated for the WWI bits but I thought they were excellent, when it happened i was like WTF?? Anyway the whole game world was convincing, it drew me in and it didn’t treat me like I was stupid, thats how I like my games.

22. Night Hunter

My playthrough lasted for about 8 hours on Don difficulty setting but I for one really took my time in the hub parts.

@article: Please, do it, The Darkness 2 turned out much better than I had hoped and the ending just screams sequel

23. YoungZer0

@21: Agreed. The second one felt like every other shooter one the market. Except with demon arms. The first one felt more mature and much darker.

24. Isaaclarke37

Yes please, i own the first and second game. Just finished the sequel and can’t to find what happens next.