The Last of Us will “turn the model of the hero on its ass,” says actor

Monday, 27th February 2012 11:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The Last of Us is set to overturn the typical sterotype look of a hero on its side, one of the voice actors for the game has said.

Troy Baker, who voices Joel in the game, told OPM UK the way the hero is told in the new Naughty Dog is completely far different from what is found in other action games, in that he’s not going to kick ass on the pursuit for something.

“He’s not a hero, he’s not a badass,” said Baker, well known for other roles in games such as Snow in Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 and Booker in BioShock Infinite.

“He’s a guy that learned how to use a gun because he had to, and he’s fighting every day because that’s what you do. Does that mean that [he] steals this, that [he] does this? Maybe. But it’s not that he has a plan, or that he’s a strong archetypal character.

“I really think it’s gonna turn the model of the hero on its ass.”

The Last of Us is expected to launch either by the end of this year or early 2013 for PS3.

1. alimokrane

QUOTE: ““He’s not a hero, he’s not a badass,” said Baker, well known for other roles in games such as Snow in Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 ……”

I am sorry I burst out laughing at the end of the above. This guy simply looses his credibility because of this.

2. Strandli

@1 alimokrane: Why? Don’t blame the actor for how Square Enix made the character of Snow. Troy Baker only follows a script after all, why should he lose all credibility for that? :p

3. YoungZer0

@2: +1

4. revolting

“He’s not a hero, he’s not a badass. He’s a guy that learned how to use a gun because he had to, and he’s fighting every day because that’s what you do. Does that mean that [he] steals this, that [he] does this? Maybe. But it’s not that he has a plan, or that he’s a strong archetypal character. I really think it’s gonna turn the model of the hero on its ass.”

Really? The regular, normal everyman forced to take up arms and do desperate acts in the name of survival is every bit as much recycled a plot device as the bullet-chewing war hero. It’s no more new, big or clever than any other protagonist archetype we’ve seen a dozen times before.

The game still looks interesting, mind you, especially if they do manage to get the desperate struggle for survival across as a functional game mechanic, but it is amusing when actors enthuse about stuff they don’t appear to know much about.

5. The_Red

I’m already sold on this and don’t need any more proof. The first M rated game from Naughty Dog is all I need.

6. NinjaMidget

@4 Not quite sure I agree with you there. As I casually look at my games collection I have with me at the minute (around 20 mainstream titles on PS3 and 22 on Steam), there are none that solely focus on survival in narrative sense which goes hand in hand with the underlying mechanics of the game. Some may have certain small motifs of survival in them, but it is not the overarching theme of the game or characters within.

What I personally find interesting about the Uncharted series for instance is how they tell the story both in-game whilst the player is in control with short bursts of dialogue and in cut scenes. With them understanding and contemplating how players interact whilst being told a story in game and in relation to other characters I’m interested to see how they will bring the necessary tension and themes that comes with pure survival.

Whilst you said that survival is “no more new, big or clever than any other protagonist archetype we’ve seen a dozen times before”, I think you may be attributing it to films. And we should remember that videogames are not films and because of this medium it opens up several opportunities for interesting narrative storytelling.

In terms of you attacking the guy for apparently not knowing anything about what he is saying. I’m sure he is closer to the development process than yourself, and whilst this is not meant to be an attack on your opinion, but a little open mindedness for the successes that Naughty Dog have had in the past and the sterling work that Mr. Baker seems to have done on Bioshock Infinite might go a long way in understanding: that in terms of narrative, there is so much that this medium can do temporally, spatially, and with character arcs, that the theme of survival actually might make you excited. For as you know, this is Naughty Dog, and they’ve rarely made a bad game!

7. minxamo

Inb4 all the characters are Mary Sues

8. DSB

I really think they need to take the hypetrain into lower gear or risk some serious backlash.

First it wasn’t a zombie game, but a fungus game.

Now they’re promising to redefine what a hero is.

They might not be as obnoxious as Bioware or Crytek, but if you can’t talk about a game without promising that it’ll change everything, ever, then I personally think it’s better to keep people guessing.

Obviously, it’s going to be a zombie game. Obviously the hero is going to be similar to things we’ve encountered in fiction before.

I think it’s better to surprise people with a truly good game than to outright tell them that that’s what they’re getting before it’s even finished.

9. revolting

@6 I think you kind of missed my point.

I wasn’t talking about survival as a game mechanic. That IS immensely interesting, and like I said, I hope they do pull it off, because while it has been hinted at in games before, it’s never quite been done justice as a primary element.

What I was commenting on was the actor’s appraisal of the protagonist, the everyman in dire straights. This character archetype itself is not new, but he (the actor) seems to think it entirely revolutionary and will completely change the face of gaming as we know it. This man needs to play a more diverse selection of games.