Double Fine Kickstarter project hits $2 million

Monday, 20th February 2012 11:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Double Fine’s attempt to fund a point-and-click adventure through Kickstarter has now exceeded $2 million, having first started on February 8.

The original target for the drive was $400,000, a benchmark beaten in eight hours.

The adventure game will be made available for Linux, Mac, PC, Android and iOS.

Four non-English text translations are to be included – French, Italian, German and Spanish.

Thanks, @MaryKateClark.

1. Razor

With a kitty that size, this had better be the best damn point-and-click game ever made :P

2. Karooo

Didn’t he say that they need $20-$30 million to create Psychonauts 2?

Found it. “He said that if the funding goes beyond a certain limit ($20 million), his studio may give fans the “bonus” of Psychonauts 2 with the $19 million surplus.”

I find it hard to believe it requires that much money. Most big budget AAA games cost that much.

3. Mr-Brett

Psychonauts was a AAA* game but it just didn’t sell like one.

It cost about $13m I think and taking inflation and increased costs of advances in tech etc, $20m sounds about right.

*A ridiculous term that seems to just mean expensive…

4. Noodlemanny

Well they’ve got my pledge as well now.
    But that’s not quite 2 mill

5. TheWulf

Psychonauts 2 would truly be something. I dug that game.

Though I’d be interested in whatever they do, really. I mean, as it currently stands, DoubleFine are the Nu LucasArts.

I think Ron Gilbert signing on with them has cemented that.

6. TheWulf

Also, on an unrelated note (and thus a new post)…

DoubleFine have my respect. I mean, with this, they’re saying that the profit isn’t as important as the game. They want the money to be able to make the game, and they full well realise that the game may not sell so well. Yet they’re doing this for themselves and for all the people who’re as passionate about those sorts of games as they are.

Obsidian are now doing this, too. They’re in the planning stages, anyway.

I mean, what’s popular at the moment seems to be generic settings with characters that have about as much character as a plank of wood. But that’s not what Obsidian do. So they’re going to do what they do best, to hell with the current market (which is apparently mostly comprised of zombies, at my best estimate).

This is the greatest thing these developers could be doing. I would pay well above the average to see these developers do what they’re good at, as opposed to marketing toward the lowest common denominator. (Henceforth known simply as ‘the zombies.’)

7. freedoms_stain

I notice they upped the number of $10K reward packages from 1 to 4.

8. fightclubdoll

So great now to look back on that night… now that we just broke 3 Million… Tweeting with Tim Schafer in the middle of the night and hitting Refresh over and over and over til it finally hit 2 Million!

THAT was a great great night. =-)

Thank you, VG247 for this story!