Naughty Dog “extensively” explored new Jak & Daxter before The Last of Us

Monday, 6th February 2012 10:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells has said the newly-founded second team at the studio was initially throwing around ideas for a new Jak & Daxter on PS3 before starting work on The Last of Us.

The story of the studio’s second team’s formation has been told before, but Wells said in the latest Game Informer it “extensively” looked at bringing Jak & Daxter to PS3.

“We’d all talked about it in interviews with fans asking, ‘Where’s the next Jak & Daxter?’ I don’t know if this is going to make them happy or sad, but we did explore the idea fairly extensively,” said Wells. “Something that we talked about early on was, ‘Lets go back and apply what we’ve learned with the Uncharted games to Jak & Daxter.’ It’s one of the franchises that’s near and dear to us, and, in all honesty, we’d like to somehow honour.”

But exploration talks, obviously, failed.

“Even if we felt like we’re going to give the fans another Jak & Daxter, we felt we weren’t going to give them the game that they wanted. We would end up limiting the direction that the company had this passion for while simultaneously not creating the game that fans wanted. We just realised we were going to just do everybody a disservice. So at that point, the conversations started to move in a new direction.”

Wells did throw fans a bone regarding the series, noting the Uncharted team could still handle development on a brand new J&D. Don’t hold your breath, though.

“Naughty Dog’s got a long history and I think it’s got a long future, so to say we’ll never go back is kind of crazy. But right now, we’ve got this new IP that we’re definitely going to be supporting,” he said. “I guess there’s a possibility the Uncharted team could move on to Jak & Daxter. It’s still up in the air, but I wouldn’t think that’s going to happen because I think we’d run into all of the same problems with that team that we did with this team.”

The first Jak & Daxter, The Precursor Legacy, launched in 2001 following the studio’s buy-out by Sony earlier in the year. Naughty Dog would go on to release three more titles in the series, the final being Jak X in 2004 for PS2. A HD collection, featuring Jak 1, 2 and 3, launches this week for PS3.

The developer is currently working on The Last of US. Get new details on that here.

1. TD_Monstrous69

I hope that there is a new Jak and Daxter game for PS3 at some point. But personally, I’d like it if it were developed by another studio with Naughty Dog working in a support role, much like what Sucker Punch is with Sanzaru Games with the new Sly Cooper. Mainly cause as a fan of Naughty Dog, I’d hate to see their new IP (The Last of Us) as well as future content/entries with their existing IP (Uncharted) suffer creatively because of stretching resources thin in an attempt to finish these projects.

2. reema

As much as I love Uncharted and am excited for The Last of Us, I still want to see a new Jak.

3. absolutezero

I actually hope they sit on Jak and let no one else near it. Look what happened to Crash, please never let that be repeated with something else.

4. McLovin85

I did love Jak and Daxter but I think they should leave it alone.
    In the movie industry people always criticise that franchises are milked to death. I think the same is true of the video games industry. People need to move on and just appreciate that certain titles are there to be remembered as classics.
    Naughty Dog have proven that they are a capable studio and I’d much prefer them to continue down the route of creating new IP as opposed to creating Jak & Daxter 22 and Uncharted 38.

5. Christopher Jack

@3, Crash not only changed developer, but also changed publisher, everything ActiVision touches goes to poo. CoD will one day even fail, it’ll take some time but it will happen.

6. ManuOtaku

#4, you know i agree with what you said, but i do also like to see past great games done with newer tech, graphics,AI and gameplay Wise, therefore i wouldnt mind a new game in a longtime series, when a new generation arrives,the thing is that these series alongside with sly and ratchet games, did came to many on the same console, i did rather prefer if those games were spanned over three consoles generations, rather than just one,therefore a new game of an old series each gen, as much as it can bee seen as milking out the franchise, it will be fine by me IMO

7. Bringit

Crash died long before Activision got their hands on it. Actually, Vivendi still owns Activision. So really, Crash has only ever changed developer.

8. Christopher Jack

@7, Vivendi owned the IP, Sony published Crash 1,2,3 & CTR, all critically acclaimed & by ND, the only one that Sony publisher that wasn’t great was Crash Bash by Eurocom, since then every game has been published by ActiVision & sucked.

9. DSB

Jak 3 was pretty shit though. It felt like the gameplay was trying not to get in the way of the gimmicks.

10. Erthazus

Jak 3 was not shit. It was a good game. I don’t know what you are sayng, yes, it’s not better than the first two games, but Naughty Dog never failed in it’s vision in most cases.

They are very good on what they are doing.

11. absolutezero

Daxter was shit.

12. DSB

I think someone went and built a pedestal a wee bit too high.