Nintendo to launch Wii U by Christmas for major markets

Thursday, 26th January 2012 08:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Nintendo will bring Wii U to major markets, including Europe and the US, in time for Christmas this year, president Satoru Iwata has said in Japan this morning.

Wii U

Announced at E3 2011 for a 2012 release.

Next generation Wii with tablet controller.

Tech specs are yet to be confirmed: it’s rumoured to be twice and powerful as Xbox 360.

Was pitched at E3 as a core games console. Darksiders II and other action titles were shown running on the hardware.

Wikipedia page.

Speaking at an investor meeting following the release of its Q3 financials today, Iwata said (via Reuters) that Wii U will launch within the holiday period in EU, US, Japan and Australia.

A 2012 launch was confirmed Wii U’s debut at E3 last year, and was narrowed down for release between E3 and December at the end of last year. This is the first time Nintendo has been specific on release timing and regions since the console’s announcement in Los Angeles last summer.

Nintendo has said it will re-reveal Wii U at this year’s E3. That will take place between June 5-7. The console was shown to press at CES in Vegas this month, an event which included the debut of a new panoramic demo of a Tokyo street.

On the first-party front, not much is known to be in development for the system besides Super Smash Bros. A Zelda HD demo was also shown at E3 last year, as was a New Super Mario Bros-like experience.

For third-parties, EA, THQ, Ubisoft and Warner are some of the studios who have committed to Wii U, with local versions of Darksiders II, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham City, Assassin’s Creed and Ghost Recon planned for the system.

It was rumoured by Develop yesterday that Wii U will have twice the power of Xbox 360, but it’s said to be underpowered compared to developer expectations.

1. OrbitMonkey

The next Next Gen starts here!! ;-)

2. xxJPRACERxx

Twice as powerful than the 360 but 20% less powerful than xbox 720 which is 6 times more powerful than the 360… Something is not right here.

@1 For me it’s not the start of next-gen, more like Nintendo is very late for current-gen.

3. Razor

To quote Jack Tretton: “Welcome to the party”.

4. Erthazus

No Games = 0 excitement

5. Razor

Don’t worry, the ports, er, I mean games, are coming.

6. roni1175

@2 it’s all rumours. I promise you the next XBOX won’t be 6 times more powerful than the current version

7. Moonwalker1982

To launch by Christmas, oh really now? That is exactly what i was expecting Nintendo, so this is nothing new. I don’t expect it to release right after E3 then, which makes me wonder about one game in particular. Darksiders 2, it’s coming out in summer, but its also a Wii U title. It’s just one title, but it would be stupid that all the 360/PS3 owners already have the game and probably finished if Wii U comes out much later, no reason at all to buy Darksiders 2 anymore. And wait…not just one game, also Ninja Gaiden III, Batman AC, oh my. Who cares about an almost one year old game by then?

Retro Studios new project could be real interesting, but nothing is confirmed on that. I hope Nintendo will finally have a great launch instead of the very shitty Wii launch and i don’t think Gamecube was all that strong of a launch either.

I hope they will surprise everyone at E3 and blow them all away, but i don’t know. I shouldn’t get my hopes up too much.

8. ManuOtaku

#2 “@1 For me it’s not the start of next-gen, more like Nintendo is very late for current-gen”.

I think they are right on time right now, now is when the adoption rate of HD tv are really high, surpassing the 60 % in the consumers houses, so to me now is the perfect time to bring an HD console, and if someone looks at the adoption rate of 360 and ps3, that also did increase while the adoption rate of HDtv also did increase in the last few years, i wonder if in reality sony and microsoft were to early and nintendo decision was the right one in the beginning, that gave them the early strong lead in this gen because of this issue, but that will need further investigation, but is a strong possibilty.

To the topic at hand, i cannot wait i hope for Pikmin 3, some sort of last story xenoblade in HD, a surprise title like luigis mansion was on the gamecube, and a resonable price point something between 300-350$, and also the news that you can have more of the tablet controllers for one console, with that i will be pretty happy.

9. reask

I would maybe be interested in it if it is bc compatible.
    I had the wii for 2 years and spent about 10 minutes in total on it.
    I just didnt get it really but I often hear guys on here talking about some of the games and I would like to have a chance to try them out whilst having a few exclusives that were worthwhile.

I own both ps3 and 360 and am glad I do as I like gaming and it gives me more choices.
    For example I got skyrim on 360 having read about the ps3 issues so by having both I can decide which version of a game to get whilst also been able to play both consoles exclusives.

10. BrutalZen

@ ManuOtaku

You are probably right about the X360 and PS3 pushing sales of HD tv’s, but for me, their sales figures does not in any way represent a loss of potential sales due to a lack of HD tv’s installment.

Probably the biggest problem will be, and it’s just a guess I am by no means an analyst, why would anyone buy a Wii U when they already got a PS3 or X360 both of them are ‘HD’ consoles. It’s more like a ‘lite’ upgrade from any of those HD consoles. Furthermore, XBox Live and PSN are far superiour to anything that Nintendo have offered thus far. So, again, why upgrade. Also, Nintendo’w Wii was advertised (not only, but for a large part) as a ‘get slim’ through gaming or as a potential exercise machine. Those people who bought it for the ‘slimming’ part cannot be bothered by an minor increase in a specs because their old Wii will do fine even though the graphics are non-HD. They are used to the SD output of the Wii and mostly do not care about ‘games’ in general.

IMHO, Nintendo should’ve entered a few years back with the Wii U as a second console next to their Wii. Wii U as a console for people who care about the way games look and thus will cater for the core gaming public while the Wii would’ve been ideal for those who care less about actual gaming and is a cheap alternative for those interested in the ‘lite’ gaming experience.

Again, I am no analyst (for they are always right) but Nintendo has a problem and that is that it is ‘too little too late’. The follow-up to X360 and PS3 are in the works which are far more powerfull than the Wii U and they offer better online experiences. Games are multi-plat so the Wii U will get minor upgraded games which, for me, means less than the massive upgrade that will follow when X720 and PS4 are released. Also, why Wii U when a PC is far more capable than the Wii U ever will be.

I just hope N has more up its sleeve than a gimmicky tablet controller, Mario and Zelda.

11. ManuOtaku

#10 is a great possiblity what you said, and i understand that they are strong valid points maded by a lot of gamers, but i truly believe the Wii U will fare the same fate as the 3DS, many people can said that the Ds was oriented to the “Casual” market, the granmas and the like, just like the wii, and therefore those people will not invest in a new enhace in graphics 3DS, just like you stated with the Wii and the WiiU analogy, both share the same approach, but one thing that is needed to remember is that all gamers, an a serious gamer by that, start with a casual mindset, then they evolve and become a more dedicated gamer, and sometimes people tend to forget this, for that i think the Wii U will sell well,as long as it will deliver great games with a great price point, becuase all the casual gamers by this time will become a more dedicated gamer, and for that they can aslo go to the microsoft or sony system, and viceversa, therefore i dont think this will be a hughe factor as long as the games and the price point is good.

And regarding the HD issue, i said that it maybe was a possibility that will need further investigation, as iam not a analyst neither, but is something worth considerating in such topics, i guess.
    Thanks for the input and nice talk.

12. Da Man

Will this thing be backwards-compatible. I want to play Xenoblade but I don’t want to buy a Wii for just a few games.. well, I will if the new one isn’t.

13. poketrainer

thankfully it seems to be more powerful than what was rumored earlier

14. Moonwalker1982

But all of these are STILL rumours.