Rebellion: The “market is ready” for WWII games again

Tuesday, 24th January 2012 15:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rebellion’s Steve Hart believes gamers are ready for titles set within World War II again as the setting is a “breath of fresh air” compared to those with modern conflicts.

Speaking with GamerZines, Hart was discussing the firm’s shooter Sniper Elite V2, in which players take on the role of a WWII sniper trying to track down Nazi scientists.

“I think the market is ready for World War II. You’ve seen the extra press the likes of Red Orchestra 2 have gotten because all of a sudden WWII is a breath of fresh air whereas modern conflicts perhaps aren’t,” he said.

While there hasn’t been very many games based on WWII of late after the deluge released over the last decade, Hart said he doesn’t think it was because developers had moved on from the setting, having instead given the subject a well-deserved break.

“I wouldn’t say developers moved on, instead they gave it the respect it needed and said ‘Right, we’ve done that to death, let’s go look at something else’,” he said. “It just so happens that our timing for a World War II game is better than others out there, and gamers are ready for that now.

“Even better for us is that we’re coming out before perhaps another Call of Duty set during World War II, as I’m sure we’ll be seeing another one of those at some point.”

Sniper Elite V2 is slated for a May release with 505 Games as the publisher.

1. Patrick Garratt

Good gravy. The circle, she turns.

2. Johnny Cullen

I AM ALL FOR THIS! We need more Infinity Ward-made WWII CoD!

(it ain’t going to happen :( )

3. Edo

Looks promising,it’s coming out on May 4th for PC ,PS3 and xbox 360(If I’m not mistaken).

4. Maximum Payne

I didn’t play the first one but if game will have similar atmosphere like in this trailer with optional stealth then count me in.

5. ManWithNoName

Why not the Korean War? Vietnam? Damn, maybe even the wars at the Balkans? Simple, because nobody complain about killing Nazis. Sigh.

6. sk4r

So all Activision needs to do this year is to make an HD Remake of the 1st Call of Duty?

7. SplatteredHouse

There’s that Brothers in Arms: forgotten subtitle?
    There’s also an alarmingly insufficient number of caveman war games.

8. Erthazus

Yes, it’s true. I’m ready for WWII games.

@2, OH PLEASE. Fuck no, for the mother of god. This is the only WWII bullshit game i really don’t want for sake.

PS: although the remake of the first CoD on the new engine can be really cool.

9. DSB

@5 Come on now. Killing nazis is one of the greatest things about videogames, like ever.

There are two things that’ll make me buy a game right away. Nazi-killing and huge, pretty explosions.

The problem with the Korean War extends a lot further than just videogames. Most people don’t give half a fuck about it, even though it was a lot bloodier than Vietnam.

I think people were exhausted after WW2, you didn’t have the kind of mass media that you had to document the Vietnam war, and finally it was an extremely complex and confusing war.

In terms of gameplay specifics, it’s just (mostly) World War 2 equipment being used against commies instead of nazis.

10. ManuOtaku

I rather prefer more Sci-fi FPS, like halo or resistance, with good sci-fi told stories and settings, that or at least other past wars like vietnam,etc

11. Edo

#10 Good for you.

12. OlderGamer

Gonna be hard to make it feel like we haven’t already been there and done that to death already. I have never been a big WII game fan. Kind of limiting in terms of scope of what can be done.

Besides in the FPS side of things I am happy with BF3. I am sure CoD fans are happy with their game too. I don’t know, I just think the market is too crowded at this point already. And I don’t think that making a new game that reminds people of an old game is going to tear people away from their current games.

13. DuckOfDestiny

Screw this shit. Future Warfare I say!

14. BULArmy

@10 That is pretty good idea, we need more shooters with aliens and monsters.
    Also we haven’t seen many “what if” shooters. Like in Fallout the world is stuck in a certain timeline(50s or actually soemthing happened in the Cold War).

15. DSB

@14 The Cold War (WW3) is one of the most unduly neglected settings for videogames in my opinion.

You only have very few games showing off European forces between 1950 and 1990. And that’s a damn shame.

16. xino

NOOOOOO

i am sick and tired of WW2!!!

Developers are now sticking to modern military and gamers complain about them:/

17. GwynbleiddiuM

Well I had my share of wanking and mass murdering Nazis in one lifetime. I wanna do some religious genocide now. Make some Holy Crusade games, where I can be an Atheist and kill the shit out of everyone whom fights for whatever God wills it. I’d happily play that.

18. Edo

#17 Play Asassin’s Creed series :) .

19. absolutezero

I don’t know if im ready for the full return of WW2 but im more than happy to get more Sniper Elite, the first game was fucking great. Brutal but so very bloody rewarding.

20. GwynbleiddiuM

@Edo, Well, that’s just one series. I NEED MOAR!

21. TheWulf

Moving the setting off earth entirely and doing something that’s distant future or even fantasy would be better than any of the above alternatives.

I mean, one of the reasons I loved Dead Space was in its unique approach to shooters. Tycho summed it up best by describing how the weapons shot planes or shapes of damage, essentially being just tools. Another favourite of mine is Rochard, because it revolves solely around the use of gravity. Of course, then there’s the obvious reference – Portal.

I just think that by going further away from war and warlike scenarios, and even from the mundanity of our world in general, past or present, more interesting scenarios can be found. And I’d personally desire to see more of that. I’m not ready for more mundanity, but I am certainly ready for less.

22. albo88

if ill dress that SS uniform them im ready if not then fuck off