Quick Quotes: Reckoning’s world is “really, really big” and “incredibly dense”

Saturday, 21st January 2012 21:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“It’s big. Really, really big. And perhaps more importantly, it’s incredibly dense. I couldn’t tell you the exact square footage of the overworld map, but I can tell you that it takes over half an hour to sprint at full [speed] across the map, even if you somehow avoid all combat. As for dungeons, there are around 130 of them in the game, and each one is hand-crafted in several different art styles, from crystal caverns to the organic innards of an ancient tree, so there’s an awful lot of variety to experience there.” – Big Huge Games’ Ian Frazier to 360 Magazine on the size of the game world in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

1. TheWulf

Much better.

That’s how you say something good about your game without putting down other developers in the same breath.

They should just let this guy speak for their game instead.

2. OrbitMonkey

Ugh… A few hours happy exploring before the size of map fills you with a ball shriveling knowledge that you’ll need to spend over a hundred hours to see it all… And that the majority will all be the same and full of shite fetch/kill quests..

Followed by a few hours power play to just finish the fucking thing and hoover up the cheevo’s/trophy’s.

3. DSB

Really that is what’s gonna make me buy it, if I decide to do so. The gameplay is alright, the setting is a little derivative, but if the world is as pretty as the screenshots make it out to be, I could definitely go there.

@2 Are you sure? I get the sentiment, it’s the story of me and every Bethesda RPG – ever – but Amalur looks more like an expansive take on Fable 1, which in my book can only be a good thing.

And it’s not made by Peter Molyneux, so it has that going for it at least :P

4. OrbitMonkey

@DSB, Careful bro, you’ll incur the wrath of the Molynuex Massive!! :-D

I guess though I’m just expressing how I feel about Skyrim at the mo :-( I’ve got no reason to explore and no real desire, other than to finish the beast… I never felt that that way about Fallout 3 or New Vegas… Smaller worlds, but for me a more interesting place to visit.

Plus you couldn’t craft weaponry/armour vastly more powerful than what you might find.

Still that’s a very personnel view and I hope that Amular can really pull it off, but I’m kinda bored of ye old sword and sorcery at the mo.

Bring on the sci-fi epic of Mass Effect 3!! I hear you like totally loved ME2? Tattoo of Shepard on your bicep and everything ;-)

5. GwynbleiddiuM

As I said before the demo wasn’t anything exceptional but I sort of liked it. Story didn’t look that great either. Having a huge world is great but I’m more interested to see how that world interacts with the player and how the player interacts with the world. I mean I want more than just simple stuff. I want it to be like reputation be of importance, the friends and foes you make in the game be the consequence and result of you actions and decisions through out the game. Gimme those and I’ll look the other way about what Rolston said.

I usually buy every RPG game I can so even though I’m not hyped about this I still wanna play it to the full.

6. Gekidami

So wait, this is an open world game? Jeesh, i really havent been following this one. *goes to download the demo* Lets see then.

7. noherczeg

@GwynbleiddiuM There is a reputation thing with the in-game factions. Dunno any specifics, but there is.

The problem with the demo was, that it was the very start of the game wich is in 99% of thecases the mostboring part. This is why it wasn’t that great of a thing to try out imho. I’d have welcomed much more a mid level mid gear-ish part of the game where I could’ve tried out the core game mechanics and stuff instead of the learning phase and the level 1 content, but meh, I’ll still buy it day 1 :)

8. Telepathic.Geometry

My only worry about this game is bugs. The demo has some weird bug in so that the first time I played it, I liked it but the speech and sound got all fucked up, and the second two times it crashed my PS3. :-/ I’m still hurting from Skyrim’s fucking unforgivable bugs and to be honest, I think that games with bugs like this should be crucified at review.

9. DrDamn

Same here. Worked ok until I got outside then conversations started skipping over too quickly and it finally froze mid combat. Had to hard reset the console. (360).

In terms of content I thought it was well judged and generous. The trouble with mid level content is you sometimes don’t appreciate the play without getting there properly.