Dear Esther trailer is ridiculously beautiful

Wednesday, 18th January 2012 04:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

I don’t care if you don’t think it counts as a game, this Dear Esther trailer wins my Video of the Day Award.

Don’t you just want to wander around those beautifully crafted landscapes, exploring a haunting narrative and being assaulted by glorious audio?

The long-awaited professional release of former Half-life mod Dear Esther launches on Steam on February 14, which totally bollocks any plans you had to spend the day romancin’ anything other than your computer monitor. Which you will want to kiss. With tongues.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. jowadmax

Is it just me or it’s awesome?

2. YoungZer0

@1: Nope, not just you, it’s definitely awesome.

3. Dimaco

What is this exactly? Never heard of it… Doesn’t look half bad!

4. absolutezero

Dear Esther is a ghost story told through a game engine, you walk to hear the story and through interaction with the world by exploring you piece togethor the disperate, skewed story as it emerges.

Imagine something by Tale of Tales but less smug and self satisfied, more filled with love for the medium its working with. Excuse the pun but its pretty damn haunting to play through. It has an amazing score aswell.

So much looking forward to this.

5. _LarZen_

Never heard of this before, but as of today it is on my day 1 buy list!

6. Stephany Nunneley

Really, really, been looking froward to this for ages. As if you couldn’t tell from my previous thoughts on the matter. :)

7. ManuOtaku

Any one knows if this will be hiting PSN or XBLA?, Any chance at all?

8. shogoz

thanks vg247! i absolutely love this site because you find cool stuff like this and not just write stuff about what today finds “popular”. you guys rock! so looking forward to this game.

9. DSB

Nah, publishers are right. Modding should be banned, sabotaged and otherwise discouraged.

I’ll take overpriced DLC over actual creative accomplishment like that any day.

(I’m not serious)

10. TheWulf

It’s amazing what can still be done with the Source engine, really. I’m quite looking forward to this one as it fits in with my desire for gaming to be about more than killing things. (After all, one of my all time favourite games is Uru.) You can do more with a 3D environment than just combat.

This sort of thing exemplifies what I’d really love to see more of in gaming. This, Amnesia, Portal 2, and older stuff like the aforementioned Uru. Just a bit of exploration perhaps tied with a little riddle-solving and puzzling. It’s always a joy to see a game like that pop up, and we don’t have so many as we used to, really.

Cyan Worlds is going through hard times, so no more Myst games, and I can’t see many other developers actually working on something like this. I appreciate it though when one does pop up.

And this really has all of the graphical fidelity too, how’d they do that with the Source engine? It’s baffling.

(And I’m likely going to be talking about PC games more here now as I got myself banned from RPS due to ‘picking fights.’ Actually, I was just getting mad at those who use the term “consolitis” or hate on consoles with no valid reason to. And I was banned by Mr. Alec “Console Toy” Meer himself. :P I must really have pushed some buttons.)