Half-Life communication group hits 10,000 members

Tuesday, 17th January 2012 13:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A member group on Steam that has demanded more communication from Valve over the future of the Half-Life series has already hit 10,000 members in three weeks.

In an open letter viewable on the group’s homepage, it says the a “lack of communication” between the developer and the shooter’s fanbase is one that’s been “frustrating”.

“Instead of focusing efforts in a negative and disrespectful way, we have decided to gain Valve’s attention by delivering a basic message: your oldest and longest running fanbase would like better communication,” it reads.

“Waiting patiently for over four years is a daunting task, especially when E3 comes and goes without any beat of a Half-Life pulse, time and time again. Valve had stated that information was scheduled to be released towards the end of 2008, and we believe that if they have chosen, for whatever reason, to withhold this information, fans should at least be acknowledged in some way, regardless of developmental plans for the next Half-Life project.

“The entire trilogy of episodes was supposed to be completed and released by 2007, and if Valve have decided to do other things for the time being, that is fine; all that we ask for is a basic response on the matter, and to let fans know whether or not the current story arc is scheduled to conclude at another point in time.”

It made clear that the point of the group isn’t to “rush the development of the Half-Life series,” however.

“In fact, most members agree that Valve should take the time needed to deliver a complete and polished product.”

Valve has been quiet on the development on future installments in the Half-Life series since Half Life 2: Episode Two launched in October 2007. Fans have since been anticipating word on Half-Life 2: Episode Three or a full-blown Half-Life 3.

However, Valve’s been doing various games inbetween, including Portal 1 + 2, Left 4 Dead 1 + 2, DOTA 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and continued support for Team Fortress 2.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. LOLshock94

valve: \_/< not a single fuck to be giving.

2. DSB

I think they’re taking it way too seriously.

On the one hand I can definitely see how you’d be disappointed, when the release you were promised doesn’t materialize, but isn’t it too good of a joke at this point?

Valve are perfectly capable of making a statement, but I think there’s more value in keeping the joke running than there is in killing the suspense.

Maybe that’s just me. I was never dying to see Episode 3, and it’s never kept me awake at night. I don’t even know when E3 is held.

3. freedoms_stain

What happened to Operation Crowbar?

4. endgame

5. StolenGlory

DSB: “I think they’re taking it way too seriously.”

endgame: “@2 u’r clearly not a HL fan so I’m just going to tell u what I tell every idiot out there that posts about stuff that he hates or that he is not interested in. GTFO! let the ppl who know what they’re talking about to post here.”

I think they call that Q.E.D.

;)

6. DSB

@4 If you expect to act like a hysterical little girl and still be taken seriously, I think you’re the one who needs a little time out.

I own all the Valve games, I don’t have to prove anything to you, and I think the fact that you can actually kid yourself into believing this comment section somehow belongs to the “Half-Life fans” is hilarious.

7. Edo

Gabe’s response http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oik6dXm-0l0&feature=related .

8. Colin Gallacher

@4 & @6

There’s only one way to settle this. Half Life 2: Deathmatch toilet throwing match :D

(£5 on DSB for first ‘toilet to the head’ kill)

9. endgame

@6 oh I was tame. u haven’t seen hysterical yet. and just because u own all valve games doesn’t mean s**t. the situation is clear: ppl want to know more about the game and u don’t! so again: GET THE F**K OUT! this way everyone minds his/her own business.

10. Phoenixblight

The game is not being developed on. WOuld you like to hear those words or keep the idea of it being worked on alive. 10k people is not enough to sway anyone to doing anything.

11. DarkElfa

@10, personally, I’d like to know one way or another if it’s being done. Would you want to wait another couple of years hoping only to have those hopes dashed?

Better to reward faithful fandom than to abuse it. I’m not sure which Valve is currently doing. I want another one as much as any fan, but it’s getting to the point where I’ve learned to live without it and I’m not so sure that’s a good feeling to install in your fans.

12. Phoenixblight

Really I can care one way or another its apparent what Valve current priority is and what is making them most of their money. I just rather be pessimistic and assume it won’t be made anytime soon and be pleasantly surprised if/when it does release.

A team of 100 people that runs a Digital Retail that is worth 4 billion dollars. SOrry but I would quit developing games too with that cash cow.

13. Virginityrocks

@10, two kids did it with cardboard, and lunch was paid for. 10,000 can do more than you think. http://kotaku.com/5831805/what-did-gabe-newell-say-to-the-half+life-3-protesters

14. Phoenixblight

Right and look at the answer they got. Thats exactly what you will get in return. THats just how Valve does their business when they know, we’ll know.

15. TheFreeman

In my opinion The Half-life series is the best in FPS and maybe the best game ever. My first tat was of a head crab, I chose Gordon Freeman looking glasses because of my obsession with playing through The HL2 game and episodes, but I’m getting bored. In all honesty, I’ll stay faithful and wait until I hear there will never be a HL3 or whatever, but I’d like a heads up. Any kind of reassurance would be very much appriciated and I’ll freak the fuck out.