Razer CEO: “The PC giants have stopped innovating”

Monday, 16th January 2012 00:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan has challenged rival PC tech companies to live up to the manufacturer’s push for innovation.

“Why is it that the giants of the PC industry have stopped innovating and taking risks?” Tan asked Kotaku at CES.

“The PC giants have stopped innovating and we’ve been left carrying a very small flag. I’m sick and tired of it. I wish they would do something about it. I wish we could do something together.

“Even as these companies continue to shy away from what we do I have their CEO’s coming up to me and saying, ‘Man you guys have got some balls.’ We were just given 50 million dollars for research and development, so we’re clearly not alone in our fight to bring innovation to this industry.”

Tan said that gamers either love or hate Razer because they’re passionate – as is Razer itself – about their hobby.

“We don’t say PC gaming is not dead simply because we’ve unveiled a handful of new products. We say PC gaming is not dead because as long as we’re around, we’ll keep it alive any way we can. This is what we’re passionate about. This is what we do,” he said.

Asked whether Razer would welcome competitors, Tan said it would make it “easier” because production costs would drop.

“It doesn’t matter, because we’d still do it better,” he said of the possibility of competition for the same market.

At CES, Razer unveiled Project Fiona, a gaming tablet capable of running PC games natively.

1. Talkar

Not only has the innovation stopped, it is actually moving backwards. Who remember the day when you’ve had to use a joystick for almost every game, or some type of controller, and now, it is all just keyboard and mouse x)

2. Phoenixblight

Oh Razer, maybe you should look how you run shop with oh lets say your drivers for your Keyboards and Mice occasionally not working or suddenly just stopped functioning before you give advice about what PC developers should do. PC market is not the majority of the consumers and as long as that is the case PC won’t be a innovation device.

3. DSB

Bragging will get you everywhere!

Seriously, did everybody forget how to run a business? Who’s supposed to respond positively to that crap?

“We say PC gaming is not dead because as long as we’re around, we’ll keep it alive any way we can. This is what we’re passionate about. This is what we do”

That’s even crazier than listening to Crytek or DICE. Holy fucking shit.

4. Virginityrocks

Only console gamers define innovation by stupid peripherals…

5. Christopher Jack

The only innovations have really been in minimization because that’s what the people want, the interesting innovations are there, they just don’t go too far because it only covers niche markets that are too small that they’re not financially viable.

Expect touch screens will be the next big push, which will mean a big push for slates so we’re bound to find some interesting designs like Asus’s Transformer & Slider & Lenovo’s IdeaCentre A720 which folds down flat, or their IdeaPad Yoga which is a new type of convertible laptop that can bend to an extreme turning it into a slate.

6. unacomn

What PC giants? There haven’t been any for ages.

7. GwynbleiddiuM

The putting of PC inside a handheld-like console device is innovation how? We already have PSP, VITA, DS, DSi, 3DS, PS3, PS2, Wii and XBox 360, Andriod and iOS based platforms. Someone need to draw a line here, Didn’t it occur to people that if we wanted to treat PC as Consoles, why the fuck would we want a stupid looking device like that for? There are many platforms that does the same, and I bet they’ll be much cheaper than project whatever…

8. Edo

As long as they are modest I’m fine with it …

9. silkvg247

Innovation? You mean like the PS move, the wii motion plus? Controls that almost let you move a “pointer” around the screen real time albeit with noticable lag and inaccuracy?

It’s kind of like a mouse but not as good.

It’s hard to innovate past an already near perfect controller (the mouse). I’ll admit the keyboard can be a bit clunky especially for mmo’s with 200 hotbar buttons but rather than do anything to fix that, lets go back to thumbsticks which are harder to use than a mouse. Yeah. “innovative”.

10. Da Man

Honestly, I really hate the mouse, really glad I can now use a trackpad with the home computer. It’s probably the least comfortable controller I ever used for anything, if it wasn’t for the need for pinpoint accuracy at times the thing would ‘ve been in my trash can already.

And as for videogames, aside from pointer induced actions, kb/m is inferior to pads in every possible way.

11. silkvg247

FPS games are pointer games! :)

They only work on the console thanks to aim assist. That says it all really.

That leaves us with driving games and action games, both of which yes I usually play on console. Although lately I’ve taken to getting the PC version with an xbox pad, so long as the port is decent. I find the consoles are starting to look a bit dated compared.

I don’t think someone who says they hate the mouse is qualified to say what is inferior or superior. I like both controls, just, as I said above, some are better for some games than others. And when we talk about innovation, nothing new has been a “better” control mechnaism than anything we already had, in my humble opinion.

I dont see this razer product is innovative. It’s a few existing ideas tacked together in what looks to be a rather uncomfortable tablet.

Also hating a mouse is a very generic statement, there’s loads out there, and until you find the best pad/mouse combo for you personally, you’ll never really know.

12. Da Man

I hate using it for non gaming tasks (and gaming, but since you spend more time on the computer not playing videogames..) in terms of comfort when compared to gestures/multitouch. that’s what I was saying. I don’t hate the control method, I hate the device being uncomfortable.

There ‘re more and less wrist pain inducing mice, but regardless it’s fundamentally less comfy and natural than the trackpad. Or gamepad for videogames.

I never played CoD on a console. Halo was designed with a pad in mind from the start.