Physical and digital forms of Mass Effect 3 PC to require Origin

Saturday, 14th January 2012 19:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bioware’s Chris Priestly has confirmed on the firm’s forum that Mass Effect 3 on PC will, as suspected, require Origin and will not “initially” be made available on Steam.

“Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital,” wrote Priestly in a post regarding frequently asked questions. “Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.”

He goes on to say that during the game’s “initial release” it will be made available through other digital PC retailers, but not on Steam due to “a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content.”

“We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers,” said Priestly.

Obvious news, but still something you should be made aware of.

Mass Effect 3 launches on March 6 in North America and March 9 in Europe.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. Stardog

It’s just a lame run-and-gun shooter anyway. Who cares?

I hope they don’t release it on PC at all. We can do better.

2. hosseincode

Pre-order cancelled

3. someguy2

Console purchase for me then

4. osric90

@1 No idea.

5. DUFFKING

Silly EA, only Valve are allowed to force you to use their DRM.

I’m sure this will cripple the game’s sales anyway, just like it did for BF3.

6. absolutezero

Duff this arguement gets brought up all the time the difference is that people want games to use Steam because the level of service is good enough that it actually improves on the experience. It works well enough that people like using Steam so the fact that its a DRM just does not factor into things.

Origin is no where near that level, Battlelog was a further step beyond what it needed to be and I can see Mass Effect having the Cerberus rubbish again, only on a website. Origin right now is a bare faced form of DRM with none of the benefits that come from Steam.

Ill be getting the 360 version no doubt and battling through horrible loadtimes and multiple discs.

7. freedoms_stain

Don’t care, will you still arse rape us with Bioware Points for dlc?

8. Yoshi

EA are 100% retarded…

9. DSB

If I want a solution to a problem I’m having with Origin, usually I’ll have to go to the Steam forum. That really says it all in my opinion.

I’m sure the EA forum might contain an answer, but with their moderators banning anyone for anything, it’s a pretty big risk to take if you want to be able to play your games.

10. Erthazus

@1, This.

11. DUFFKING

#6

Steam was pretty fucking awful when it launched, to be fair. Worse than Origin is now. Remember the Hl2 Launch :D

12. someguy2

@12 But that was in 2004…….. Origin launched in 2011, the tech has kinda changed since then.

13. poopoofruits

can someone explain to me why everyone dislikes this? do you have to pay for origin or something?

14. absolutezero

Its another set of passwords and its another program you won’t use outside of playing this one game.

15. minxamo

For some reason PC gamers seem to really hate Bioware of late, so I doubt PC is their priority for ME3.

16. Quasar

fuck this shit, saving money for some real rpg risen2

17. ignosium

Good work EA, no collection for me, no money for you. I’ll download it. Without Origin

18. IL DUCE

@14 Because….the majority of PC gamers are a bunch of entitled whiney babies

19. Ireland Michael

Uuuh… PC games do this with Steam all the time.

Just as an example, one of my friends can’t get their physical copy of Skyrim for the PC to install simply because the Steam installation keeps crashing on them.

*cur string of paranoid “ORIGIN IS SPYWARE!!!111!!11!!” complaints*

20. absolutezero

Just add the games cd-key to Steam and download it then?

Bioware keep making blunders, its tiring.

21. DSB

@16 I think you’re forgetting that Mass Effect was aimed at consoles since day 1.

22. Uncontested

@DSB so true… i was banned for literally posting ‘fk’ in a post one time on the EA forums… from there i was banned from Madden on PS3, Battlefield 3 on PC.. (couldnt even play the single player) for THREE DAYS.. because of two letters.. lol… I didnt try to play mass effect 2 or dragon age 2 but im sure I was banned from those too if I had tried.

23. Ireland Michael

@20 Steam wouldn’t install.

24. SplatteredHouse

“but not on Steam due to “a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content.”

Heh. If that were actually the reason, then why is their game on consoles, because that, almost to the letter, is the way that things are run there.
    EA’s forum…lol. Better off saving yourself the pain and trying gamefaqs, Google or something!

25. deadstoned

Its won’t be long til the price is knocked down on it. It wont sell as well I expect without Steam :( . Hope they eventually sell it on Steam though when all the DLC is out as the “complete edition”. Hate Origin in its current form, more hassle and messier than Steam.

26. xxJPRACERxx

The difference between Mass Effect on PC and console is considerable. I have no problem with Origin and really laugh at people that’ll take the console version because of it.

27. Phoenixblight

I am getting the console version not because of Origin but due to I have all of MEs on the console but I also have Mass Effect 2 on the PC. I do plan on getting ME 3 on the PC probably in the summer because as the disparity between the two especially since its much easier to control companions on the PC than on the 360. But I agree with you on the Origin remark people are just mad.

28. GwynbleiddiuM

I hope Steam don’t sacrifice their policies to add some EA titles to their catalog. Origin is something I will never use, I had to skip BF3, I’m sure I can survive without Mass Effect 3. Besides, who cares when Diablo 3 is on the horizon.

29. Maximum Payne

@28 And ?? Diablo 3 need Battle.net and constant internet connection even for SP which is not case for Mass Effect 3.

30. GwynbleiddiuM

@30 Big deal, I ain’t got a problem with that. I play WoW and it needs constant internet even when I do simple PVE stuff like questing, gathering. Steam needs internet connection in order to launch a game. And I need XFire to log the hours I spend playing, so I’m always online. That ain’t an issue with me, and this comes from a person whose country has the most fucked up and unstable internet connection. Every night before I go to bed I have this bad feeling that next morning when I wake up there’s no internet anymore. You guys are just overreacting to this “constant internet connection” thing.

If you’ve been in my shoes you had legitimate claim over the fact that constant internet connectivity is not really constant where you live. Internet is cheap where you live in comparison to where I am. I pay about (rough conversion) 50 euros per month for a 512Kbps ADSL connection. Whatever you’re paying for your internet can’t be possibly any higher than mine compared to the level of quality you get.

So, I guess what I’m trying to say is wait a bit, the experience would make it worth your while and you’ll forget about the fact you don’t like constant connectivity.

31. Mineral4r7s

I am no fan of Origin or Steam. All this digital sales is a ripoff. You pay more for something without physical form. They have no costs for the package and still charge you more then the physical form. Thats why I disdain digital purchase. I only buy Indie-Games from Steam that don’t offer a physical form.

Forcing me to use Origin to play a game is just… unjustified imho.

Or to make it short: No money from me. Dragon Age 2 showed well enough what Bioware is capable of since its part of EA.

32. Maximum Payne

@30 So why wouldn’t you use Origin then ?

33. GwynbleiddiuM

@32 It sucks, plain n simple.

34. Erthazus

@Gwynbleddium, +100. Could not say better.

Damn it :D plain and simple.

35. Phoenixblight

Because the Digital Retailers still take the normal cut as the physical store and the reason why EA can’t sell them cheaper is because physical store chains have contracts with the publisher stating that they can’t sell the digital version cheaper than the physical or the chains will remove the publishers games from the store.

36. YoungZer0

It’s just that there is simply no reason for Origin to exist. Its EULA has to many holes. We already have Steam. We don’t need another steam. Steam overs great service, many games. Origin does not. It has to be better than Steam if it wants to compete. Not the same, or worse.

And please, if you don’t play games on PC: Shut the fuck up. You don’t understand who fucking annoying this is.

I recently could even login because EA had a server problem. Not offline, nothing.

Is there even an offline mode?

I’ll think about when i’m in the store. At least you don’t have to start it through a browser. Need to add that Origin nearly completely destroyed my Battlefield 3 experience. Was having mouse lagging issues because of Origin. Had to turn it off while playing the game.

Anyway, the people who complain about Origin and then go out and buy Diablo III really need to get a hard bitchslap. Because Diablo III is an even bigger problem.

37. Phoenixblight

“I just want to buy a game and fucking play it. No 20 patches. No PhysX. No GFWL. No Microsoft Visual C++. No Microsoft .NET Framework. No new driver. Just insert, install, play.”

Uh this will happen whether it is Steam or Origin.

“Is there even an offline mode?”

I just tested on the Deadspace 2, ALice and Dragon Age 2 and if I go to games and click on the specific shortcut to a game, Origin doesn’t even load up much unlike Steam games. I even block those games from accessing the net and I was able to play them without an issue.

Yes there is a offline mode just go to the settings at the top right.

38. YoungZer0

@37: I know. Steam is already annoying enough. So the last thing we need is another Steam.

39. Phoenixblight

@38 That is not a Steam or Origin specific thing. THat is a PC specific whether there is no Origin or Steam you would still have to do all those things. You are complaining about something that you have to do no matter what if PCs were all built the same way and were standarderized much like the console then we wouldn’t need to but we don’t so we have to. Its like whining that you have to use a controller to play games on the console.

40. DSB

@36 You’re saying you want Steam to hide the dependencies it installs? Wouldn’t that kind of worry the tinfoil hat crowd that already think Origin is out to steal their children?

I think it’s a basic courtesy to show what you’re putting on peoples computers, and I’m sure that in some cases, Steam probably goes overkill, but ultimately they have no reason to waste their time including it, if it doesn’t make games run optimally.

My main problem with Origin is that it doesn’t do anything. It’s barely even a client, and more of a graphical interface, and a graphical interface that’s missing the most basic features at this point.

You can’t hide things like the Battlefield 3 Beta, it doesn’t disappear by itself, and once you find out that hiding it is simply a question of changing a number in a .XML file (in my case, by consulting the Steam forums) it really boggles the mind how EA couldn’t tie that .XML to a little option in their interface.

Then you have the lousy machine translation that even Google Translate can do better, and if you try to uninstall a game, Origin just opens Add/Remove Programs.

There’s none of the features that you get on Steam, so if Origin is just another inconvenience between me and my Explorer/Notepad or me and my Control Panel, then why on earth would I want it? It’s just an inconvenience :P

41. Phoenixblight

“Then again, even if they did do proper forum integration, there’s no way I’d use a forum as poorly run as the EA ones, under threat that I may lose access to my games. It’s the internet, censoring people is bad enough, but punishing them by taking their games away is just ridiculous.”

Hyperbole much? They don’t ban you from your games and if they do, they fix it relatively quick. Steam has done this as well only its not just banning forum access but the account in general.

42. DSB

I haven’t heard of a single Steam account getting banned for using profanity or trolling the boards. You may get banned on the boards, but nobody takes your games away. There have been some embarrassing false positives with regards to VACS bans though.

A lot of people use the Steam forums to vent against developers, or Steam itself. I’ve even seen moderators dissing Valve on their own boards, and to me at least, that suggests a pretty tolerant policy.

The accounts for the Steam forums are entirely seperate from the accounts for the client itself, so certainly their infrastructure isn’t set up to punish people by taking away their games.

I’ve also never seen someone getting a forum ban just for petty swearing, which is handled by the profanity filter on the board.

The only “fix” EA has offered so far, is a standardized corporate speak response that said they were going to “look into it”. They have at no point hinted at the bans not being policy, and in fact people contacting support have just been told that they’re banned, and there’s no way around that.

43. Phoenixblight

Yeah their forums bans are attached to the games but the CSR fix that quick they did it for DA2 and various other games. I agree the forum banning should not be attached to the game bans. But I just tested on accessing all my games through the hard drive without clicking on Origin and I had no issue. Origin didn’t even pop up nor is it in my process or services in the task manager. Maybe these people that were banned just can’t use their common sense. I even blocked Origin from accessing the net and I was still able to play all my games.

With the steam comment just because you don’t see it or read about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. They had articles on Steam accidently banning players on their VAC system which in some cases blocked them from their account entirely. A colleague of mine was part of that MW2 fiasco and said he couldn’t even access his account for 3 days.

44. DSB

@43 I don’t see how being able to avoid it by playing offline makes EAs behaviour any less dubious. It changes nothing about the policy, their statements on it, or what it means to their customers.

As for proving a negative… That’s just a bit silly ain’t it?

Here’s a baseless claim: EA is a front for an extraterrestrial master race of aliens, and they eat babies. You can’t prove it isn’t, so it must be true.

The flying spaghetti monster – Really?

Valves response to the VACS scandal was absolutely terrible. There’s no excuse for not considering false positives with a system like that – But they still don’t ban people on forums for using the word “Fuck”.

45. Phoenixblight

” I don’t see how being able to avoid it by playing offline makes EAs behaviour any less dubious. It changes nothing about the policy, their statements on it, or what it means to their customers.”

Its very simple don’t be an idiot on the forums. Realy and if you go to their forums they have a high tolerance of idiots. Its people that constantly troll even after being warned finally get the ban hammer. Its not like EA is some type vindictive asshole purposely banning people willy nilly. People have to want to get banned in order to do so and just by dropping a few f bombs which EA forums has a censor built into it. You are making a ant hill into a mountain like EA is banning people left and right.

“As for proving a negative… That’s just a bit silly ain’t it?”

Where did I say that? I gave an example of Valve banning people.

46. Malmer

And when Half-Life 3 launches it will require Steam to play. Big deal.

47. DSB

@45 If your attitude towards your customers is “Don’t be an idiot, or I’ll take your games away”, then I have a better suggestion: “Don’t take away my games, or I’ll pay for them elsewhere”.

Which is what I’m saying, if EA aren’t able to handle their forums without taking away the games that people paid for, then we’re certainly lucky to have far better places to put our money.

Here’s the statement:

“With the steam comment just because you don’t see it or read about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.”

What is EA offering it’s victims?

48. Phoenixblight

That wasn’t my point. You don’t see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. THat is not proving a false negative. You are not able to read and see things at all times.

“I still haven’t heard of forum bans or profanity (let alone quoting other peoples profanity) triggering an account ban. I’ve heard of the VACS scandal, just like everybody else. That’s quite a different story, and as I recall people got a free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 for their inconvenience.”

ANd I haven’t heard of anyone being banned on EA forums for profanity like I said they have filters on their forums that block most offensive words even really retarded ones. I have seen the same person for a week post on all topics that were just positive feed back go and berate users because they weren’t agreeing with him. The Mods had given him 3 warning before putting the ban hammer down. SO like I said they have a pretty high tolerance of morons and trolls on their forums. Its not cussing, its the berating of users and violating the EULA. ANd like I said they aren’t banning by the thousands, its one person going to a media service and the media services that need the hits putting some hyperbole in there.

“If your attitude towards your customers is “Don’t be an idiot, or I’ll take your games away”

I agree with this idea, I think it would make people learn to be more accountable for their actions whether it is a day or two. WHen you show me a link that sources hundreds of people being banned in one period of time in the forums for “profanity”, I will be right there with you but atm I have only seen the most asinine morons getting the hammer and good riddance.

49. DSB

@48 All you have to do is scroll up to see Uncontested’s account right here in the comment section.

If there’s no trace of something, then there’s no logical reason to assume it’s there. It doesn’t mean it isn’t there, it just means it’s silly to think so. Ergo flying spaghetti monster.

Even if people were being jerks, how does an offence on a forum somehow justify taking away games that people paid for? There’s no proportionality there.

I don’t really need a hundred examples. EA has confirmed that it’s consistent with their policy, so it can happen to anyone.

It’s fine that you and EA think it’s alright to take away games that people paid for, if they say a bad word on the internet. I don’t think that view is shared by most people.

50. Phoenixblight

1 – 3 are exceptions and for the most part seem to be all the same issue for all we know their heresay. 4th is just a guy posting he has been banned oh thats credible. I have been banned from steam too and I can’t access my games. DO you believe me too?

ANd then you use Wikipedia as a source…… All my professors have given “F” or not passing grades for using wikipedia as a source. I am with them on this all you are doing is linking a page that anyone can edit and add their own source.

“t’s fine that you and EA think it’s alright to take away games that people paid for, if they say a bad word on the internet. I don’t think that view is shared by most people.”

You have one example of that, 1 out of how many users on the fourm? You want a cookie because you found one person that is the exception not the rule.

51. DSB

For all we know.

What we do know is that EA has confirmed it as their policy, so to me that certainly seems to add a sheen of credibility to things. I don’t think it’s too hard to connect the dots between a policy being confirmed by the company itself, and that policy being enforced.

You know who doesn’t have that policy? The competition, which I reckon goes a long way to explain why you’re missing instances like that to back up your presumption of the same happening in their neck of the woods.

52. Phoenixblight

Competition being who? Steam? Steam is just a digital retailer that occassionaly makes game they are only a competition on the store front but if EA is not supporting Steam well then they aren’t competition now are they? People that want EA’s games on the PC will get it whether its on Steam, Origin or otherwise. Look at Battlefield 3 it still did exceptionally well on the PC and it uses Origin so Yay? This doesn’t bother me because 1) I don’t post on EA’s forums I read them especially if there is Dev feedback
    2) If I do post I am not going to be a troll about it or be disrespectful to fellow posters.

I guess if you have a mentality to do such things well yeah don’t buy EA games or post in their forums. Hard choices there.

53. DSB

That would make sense if they were banning people for actually trolling, as opposed to using the word e-peen, or abbreviations like PTFO.

You’re rolling the dice when you appoint random people as moderators, and that’s one thing, but once you let them do as they please with peoples accounts, well, I think the outcome is inevitable.