Steam posts seventh year of over 100% sales growth

Friday, 6th January 2012 16:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve has announced 2011 growth data for its Steam service, citing a year-over-year unit sales increase of over 100% for the seventh straight year.

During 2011 the digital platform offered over 1,800 games and had over 40 million registered accounts. As previously reported, the firm’s Holiday Sale also garnered over 5 million simultaneous users.

Over 14.5 million copies of Steamworks games were registered during the year, which was a 67% increase over 2010. Since the suite of services was released three years ago, Steamworks has been included in over 400 games.

“Steam and Steamworks continues to evolve to keep up with customer and developer demands for new services and content,” said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. “Support for in-game item trading prompted the exchange of over 19 million items. Support for Free to Play (FTP) games, launched in June, has spurred the launch of 18 FTP titles on Steam, with more coming in 2012.

“Looking forward, we are preparing for the launch of the Big Picture UI mode, which will allow gamers to experience Steam on large displays and in more rooms of the house.”

Steam also doubled content delivered during 2011 vs. 2010, by serving over 780 Petabytes of data, and to meet the demand, doubled its service capacity and added a new content delivery architecture to improve user download rates.

1. DSB

I can’t say I’m surprised

I remember thinking Steam was way too cumbersome and more importantly way too expensive just a few years ago. Then they really got rolling with localizing their prices, and eventually getting their sales going.

As long as you keep topping your efforts year after year like that, people are going to notice.

2. Maximum Payne

Still best place to buy games online IMO.I never tried Impulse thought.

3. Psychotext

Must be awesome to be in control of a private company with that sort of turnover / punch. Most companies sell their soul to the devil at some point (investors, vulture capitalist, IPOs)… but I reckon Valve never will.

4. DSB

@2 Impulse is terrible, but it looks like Gamespot are pouring some money into it, so hopefully it’ll be better.

It wastes so much of your time just navigating it. I’d much rather use GamersGate if I have to choose. Maybe even Desura.

Beats me why Origin isn’t being improved.

5. Se_7_eN

“serving over 780 Petabytes of data”

I hope that guy that won EVERY SINGLE STEAM GAME during from the Holiday Sale has QUITE the hard drive.

6. The Evil Pope

Doesn’t surprise me. The PC is the best platform by a mile…

7. GrimRita

@1 totally agree. Each and every year, Steam has improved with new community features, superb sales and offering a great selection of new and old games.

The beauty of all this, is that you can download your game onto any pc anywhere in the world if you wanted to, or if you lost your game due to a hard drive failure.

Roll on 2012

8. Virginityrocks

Absolutely it is the best platform. I can understand the idea of wanting a simple platform in the living room, but even if I had owned a console, I’d put it in my room. Privacy > Comfort.

9. GwynbleiddiuM

Steam is the only platform I trust. Awesome offers, excellent catalog, tremendous support. I always said that and I always will.

10. Uncontested

Steam has terrible support lol.. Thats where they get hit the hardest because its so laughably bad. But other than that Steam is awesome, it just sucks having to wait until the end of the year to get games at decent prices.. (LA Noire was being sold for 50 bucks all year.. then suddenly went to $12.69 during the xmas sale)

11. DSB

@10 I wouldn’t nominate them for any awards, but I’ve never had a problem that wasn’t fixed within 24 hours, even during sales.

The forums are pretty much my go-to place for most problems though, and even if there’s always a lot of cunts commenting, including some of the mods, the rest are usually very helpful.

I’ve never felt like I’ve wasted time on support personally.

I’d say the worst part is the offline mode. It’s so flawed that it’s barely worth offering. It should really have been fixed ages ago.

You can’t be serious about the last part though :P If you’re impatient enough to buy a game full price, you’re gonna feel it once the sale comes around. And it always will.