Netflix starts appearing on UK and Irish PS3s – all the details

Friday, 6th January 2012 16:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Previously US-only movie streaming service Netflix has started to appear in the UK and Ireland for PS3 owners.

Rebooting our PS3, we found the movie streaming application under our TV/Video Service

The download for the program comes in at a mere 13Mb. There isn’t much there to go on besides it’ll arrive in the UK and Ireland soon.

Netflix announced it was to come over to the UK and Ireland back in October of last year for an “early 2012″ launch, but no confirmed launch date has been revealed.

It hadn’t actually announced particular console support for the UK and Ireland, but said it would be supported through “a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as on PCs, Macs and mobile tablets and phones.”

The service is also available for PS3, 360 and Wii owners in the US.

Partners confirmed so far for the UK and Ireland include the BBC, Lionsgate and MGM, to name a few.

1. moargamezpleeze

Downloading now!

It’s not available yet,you can sign up for email notification from the NF app. so it could be a few days (or weeks) before the app is active.

2. DSB

How much is the subscription? Lovefilm is twice as expensive in Europe as Netflix in the US. That makes me not want to bother.

If Netflix can destroy them on price once they reach mainland Europe, I’m definitely gonna bite.

3. Ireland Michael

Nothing appearing here.

4. Ashwin

@Ireland Michael

I’m in Ireland. I just installed the client. Make sure you reboot if it’s not appearing in your TV/Video Service XMB group.

5. Ireland Michael

@4 I have. Still nothing.

6. Ashwin

Hmm. Maybe they’re rolling it out by parish?
    ;)

7. humanfish

I pay £10 a month for unlimted BluRays and streaming, with 2 BluRays at a time. I get great service and turnaround from LF so i don’t think i will stop subscribing to go streaming only with Netflix. Their streaming will not be Blur Ray quality. If they do a package for a fiver, i might do it in conjunction with my LF disk service.

8. Razor

Whoa, just been on my PS3 for an hour and I didn’t even notice this. Downloading now…

9. Muddy

Is available on Xbox but in a roundabout way. If you download via USA account when you fire it up comes up with a £7.99 a month option NOT $7.99!!!!!! With the same option about notification

10. dr_lovejoy

Just a heads up to all UK PS3 owners. Netflix is now working, it costs £5.99 a month which is pretty reasonable and also means I will keep this and Lovefilm running until there is a clear winner. You get the first month free so there’s no reason not to try it out. Though the selection is pretty small at the moment, the TV selection is far superior to Lovefilm. It includes Firefly, South Park and many more.

And by going by the streaming only content it would seem Netflix has a slight edge on quality. Dark scenes are less pixelated, this is also the same for fast action scenes

11. neoeinstine

when I first time reached here in Ireland. I knew I was keen of watching netflix but i didn’t know about how to watch netflix. Ireland is really a beautiful place but if you are here for long you know you get mad because I love my country & we all know that belly teaches all art that all my feeling sorry about OK i have this for ya http://www.bestvpn.co.uk/watch-us-netflix-in-ireland/ one of my good friend or you can say best friend gives me this right now i am happy watching netflix thats really splindid no words