Spec Ops gets spring 2012 release, new screens, trailer

Tuesday, 22nd November 2011 13:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

2K’s confirmed a spring 2012 launch for Spec Ops: The Line, as the embargo on new impressions on the game lifts after a near 18 month underground period.

The trailer, which is a far cry away from the Bjork of 2009, has you play as US Delta Force soldier Captain Walker to save the 33rd squad of the US Infantry following a sandstorm that destroys Dubai.

Its story, according to 2K, is one that’ll “move players beyond the simple conflicts of good-versus-bad.”

The glamour of Dubai “provides the perfect backdrop to play out Spec Ops: The Line’s deep and complex narrative. This bold endeavor harnesses 2K’s pedigree of creating fascinating stories, settings and worlds to create an aggressive narrative and environment that you won’t find in other games on the market,” said 2K president Christoph Hartmann.

“Wartime narratives evoke emotion like few things else in our culture. Players will fight through this hostile environment in Spec Ops: The Line,creating a raw and unique video game experience.”

Get the video below and some previews below. The Line will release on PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Colin Gallacher

Seems like they overhauled the whole game. Certainly seems like an improvement.

2. LOLshock94

i still remember playing the beta for this, it was just like an improved version of SOCOM

3. Maximum Payne

Looks good and all but With Max Payne 3 and Mass effect 3 in ”spring” it will be hard competitions.

4. YoungZer0

@1: Don’t see any overhaul, what exactly do you mean?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/darkness-in-spec-ops/724236 <Interview with some Gameplay.

5. Colin Gallacher

@4 Seems pretty different to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8VRL04ksdU

@2 The beta was just…unimpressive. I got the feeling of SOCOM mixed with Gears and it was distinctly average.

6. YoungZer0

@5: But that wasn’t the last Trailer.

This was the last trailer:

7. The_Red

I’ve lost my confidence in this game but my god, that was an awesome trailer.

8. DSB

Looks pretty crap. How many deserts full of overgeared troops can you really do?

Interesting that Commander Sheperd is apparently now at 2K though.

9. StolenGlory

“Interesting that Commander Sheperd is apparently now at 2K though.”

Yeah, it’s a shame that he didn’t bring a good game with him though.

10. YoungZer0

@9: So you played it already? No? Then shut up. Seriously, how stupid is that? “I haven’t played it, but it sucks. I know, because my friend Erthazus told me.”

11. Erthazus

@10, you, shut up. Stop using my nickname with your assumptions, also, he is correct.

There is nothing that makes it great for now. Just a typical TPS in the desert/Dubai with US troops.

12. bryani

i hope my apartment’s in it :D

13. IL DUCE

I’m rooting for this game…I was part of the closed multiplayer beta on 360 (they called it an ETD) they had going a while back, and there was plenty of improvements to be made but it was quite a cool game and I enjoyed it…so I hope they used this year plus wisely and gave the game some polish and updated the graphics a bit…

14. Gheritt White

“Captain Walker”, REALLY? Oh, come on…

15. YoungZer0

@11: Thanks for proving my point. You never disappoint.