Skyrim PS3 users experiencing lag, workaround suggested until patch is released

Thursday, 17th November 2011 15:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Skyrim players have reported issues with the PS3 version once 5-6MB of stored save data is surpassed, which is apparently causing lag and the inability to interact with NPCs.

According to various forum posts, the issue isn’tt caused by having too many manual game saves, as one save slot can cause the issue as well, since the longer the game is played the larger the stored save file becomes.

Until a fix is issued by Bethesda, which has been working on a patch for various issues on all platforms, users on the forum suggest turning off the autosave feature, and restarting PS3. The later of which seems to help for a few hours at least.

Thanks, OPM.

1. The_Red

Bravo to Bethesda. They release a game on 3 platforms and every single version has horrible problems. 360 one loses high-res textures when installed, PC version is just a horrible port but worst possible controls and other problems and finally, the PS3 version which suffers from serious lag when the save file size becomes too big.

And yet they get perfect 10s left and right. No wonder people consider 8/10 a bad score.

2. Hcw87

It’s still the best RPG since Morrowind. I’ve not encountered a single bug yet, played around 50 hours on 360. The texture bug isn’t a big deal, just play from the disc until they patch.

3. reask

Thinking of asking thr missus to get me this and uc3 for xmas.

Not a big rpg guy but I liked the look of this one.
    Is it hard to get your head around for a fps mindless type like myself?

4. RandomTiger

Surprising these issues aren’t found and fixed in cert.

5. IL DUCE

@1 Yeah and to add onto what @2 said, all you do if you installed the disc is uninstall it and clear your cache and boom high res textures being stored once again…a friggin monkey could do that so I wouldn’t consider that a horrible bug…and all you PC gamers do is complain about the ports, maybe if your fellow PC gamers would stop pirating games so rampantly more companies would start giving a shit again and use it as the lead platform…plus its so far ahead of the consoles in tech its kind of pointless when no matter what the game sells more for the consoles as is the case with pretty much every other game…

Skyrim is the best RPG I’ve played since Fallout 3, which was my favorite of all time…Bethesda makes the best RPGs out there, hands down so there’s no point in fighting it…

6. HeavyD-Love

Hope they can fix it soon. Making some good progress in PS3 version. Loving it so far. Not sure how big my save file is, have to check now i guess.

7. Stephany Nunneley

The only issue I have had on 360 is the game goes really, really “light” sometimes. And no, I am running it from the disc – I never install a game on the 360 unless forced. Still, it is nothing worth me screaming over, as it is still extremely playable and awesome. The only “glitches” I have seen are NPCs tend to stand and spin a bit sometimes when in a corner or up against the furniture.

8. OlderGamer

@reask

The elder scrolls games can be a great adventure. They are deep, filled with interesting tid bits. But they are also slow paced. And the adventure doesn’t come to you. I mean that when first playing the games feel like one big empty world. You have to dig a bit to find the quests and side quests. That can be a great thing or a horrible one depending on the gamer. In the past I have found it to be a boring thing.

I am still on the fence with Skyrim myself. A good half of my friends list have been playing it, and that type of exposure makes me wanna grab it, and be part of the cool crowd. But I felt the past ones I played were a let down. I think what I am going to do is wait for the Game of the year edition(where it will included expansions and dlc) and buy that once it hits 20usd. You can buy said Oblivion copy right now for that price.

9. YoungZer0

@8: Dig a bit? You can’t take a dump without getting 5 quests on the way to the toilet.

10. Kabby

I too am surprised a basic issue involving a game save was not found. It does make you think that no one played it for an extended period.

PC version is game of the year so far though. Easily.

11. HeavyD-Love

@9…

So true lmao!

12. K-V-C

aw thank god i thought my ps3 was on the way out or something lol !!!! still a brill game !! its like fallout n.v all over again more or less

13. Mike

Happy Birthday PS3!!

Definitely not a “loser,” apparently. Ask Brenna! :)

14. OlderGamer

I haven’t sat down with Skyrim yet. But in my experience with ES, Morrwind and Oblivion, you have to dig. Esp to get quests that weren’t part of the main line. Thats enriching for some players, too much work for others. I found both games a bit boring.

15. Kyvor

I might have another workaround to try. Skyrim was jamming up on me real good, right from the opening cutscene, and restarting, turning off auto save etc made no difference. After trying several times to get it working, and crashing the PS3 a couple times, I did that most evil of things and pulled out the power cord. Gave it a minute or so, switched it back on and loaded up the game, and now its working like a dream. Got 50 hours logged in game, autosave on, file size 7Mb, and no problems so far. Don’t know if pulling the plug did a hard reset of the HDD or something, but seems to have worked for me

16. fearmonkey

I personally played for 25 hours and never encountered a bug. I invited a friend over to play Skyrim yesterday and while he was playing, we encountered several different bugs multiple times.
    The most interesting one was at the very beginning of the game when you are on the wagon. We started a new game for him and instead of the wagon, we were on the ground, all the characters in front of us while the wagon sounds played. We could turn around but couldn’t move forward.
    The other one that reared its ugly head was in dungeons, the door pillars for the puzzles would not turn, so you were stuck. Saving your game, quitting to the main menu and reloading fixed it This happened 3 times in a space of several hours in different locations. I had never had any issues with my character in the same locations….odd.

17. revolting

@1 “PC version is just a horrible port but worst possible controls ”

Couldn’t be further from the truth. The whole “OMG the PC version’s UI is an unplayable mess” thing doing the rounds all over the net is massively over exaggerated, and also propagated for the most part by people who confess that they haven’t actually played the game for any significant length of time because they’ve been put off by all the knee-jerk self-fueling negativity bandwagon surrounding it.

While the menus are certainly set up in a way that makes things easier for consoles, they are far from the broken unplayable mess most people claim. They’re just a bit different and take some getting used to, which takes no more than half an hour’s worth of play in a game that will span hundreds of hours if you play it to it’s fullest. I’m nearly at 77 hours myself on the PC version, and while the menus did bug the hell out of me on the first day, I soon got used to them, and now barely even notice them, far more engrossed with the world and general awesomeness on offer.