Doväkiin Scores: Skyrim hits worldwide, scores 96 on Meta

Friday, 11th November 2011 08:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

After nearly a year of hype, Bethesda finally unleashes its next big RPG to the world today, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Quite simply, why you wouldn’t want to buy this is beyond even baffling.

Some pre-orders from GAME – myself included – got hold of their copies early, but the retailer held midnight launches in some points of the UK, with the main flashpoints being Oxford Street in London and at a GameStation in Birmingham New Street.

GAME is also the only retailer currently providing a trade-in deal for the game, where you can pick it up for £4.99 if copies of either Batman: Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3 or Modern Warfare 3 are swapped (thanks, MCV).

Following the lifting of the reviews embargo yesterday afternoon, which seen a flood of nines and tens, Skyrim’s now hit as high as 96 on MetaCritic for the Xbox 360 version. PS3 is on 94, while PC has a 95 currently.

The game is massive in depth, having gone through eight hours of the game so far, but I don’t feel entirely comfortable giving a small launch impressions piece due to its sheer scale within that timescale.

But know this: just based on those eight hours, if you don’t pick up this game today, there is something very wrong with you.

With the main game out of the way now, and DLC on the way – the first two expansions of which are exclusive to Xbox 360 – the only question is what’s next for Todd Howard’s team at Bethesda Game Studios? Bethesda PR VP Pete Hines told VG247 in January that it would be using Skyrim’s engine for what it’s working on next, but besides that, no hints have been given on what’s coming after today.

Anyone up for Fallout 4?

1. The_Red

I just hope when it comes to GOTY noms, sites don’t forget about the sublime Dark Souls now that the Skyrim fever is every where.

2. kupocake

“Quite simply, why you wouldn’t want to buy this is beyond even baffling.”

Have three ‘whys’: high fantasy setting. Anthropomorphic cats. Touted quality of previous BGS games versus the reality.

3. Ireland Michael

This is one of the very few occasions where I would actually consider the inflated review scores completely justified.

4. Frank17

Its baffling y u won’t buy this? Here r some reasons. I’m 26 I don’t live in a world of dragons. And half lizard human people. Ya sorry its called a job and battlefield 3. Not gonna run around a game w ridiclious load times for 40 hrs catching butterfly’s for potions and getting fat on my couch trying to get into a guild. See ya there.
    This game reeks of dungeon and dragon fat kids

5. Se_7_eN

@4 – You sir, sound like an ignorant jackass…

You think everyone that plays Skyrim is a fat kid, and you are very wrong in that point.

You don’t live in a world full of dragons and half lizard people? But you live in a world where you can die, respawn and war constantly rages on?

Ridiculous load times? complaining about 40 hours of gameplay? How long have you played BF3 for exactly? I would hope longer than 40 hours, and from someone who has played BF3 A LOT… I can certainly say that the load times between maps ARE LONG.

6. Ireland Michael

@4 Wow… just… wow…

If there’s a genetic condition for being born with a complete lack of imagination, you, my good sir, have it.

7. Phoenixblight

WOw doesn’t matter what game it is people are going to hate. I can’t honestly think of a better open world game I have enjoyed this year than Skyrim. I am barely 4 hours in and it feels like I have just barely scratched surface.

8. DSB

I’m still disappointed that no one doesn’t like it. I mean even a little.]

But then again it’s certainly a good game and it seems to hit on the one thing that most developers get entirely wrong – Exploration. Give people a world to find stuff in at their own accord, and they’re going to go apeshit. That has always been the case.

9. Erthazus

@4, Typical Fratboy.

10. Frank17

#9 sweet comment u d bag. Sorry I don’t like that era the time the game is taking place. And ifbu think battlefield 3 load times r bad. U wait 30 seconds between games u jackass and play ffor about 20 25 min straight and then wait another 30 sec. Wow in rimjob I mean skyrim there’s way to much load times. Ill wait for me3 way better story and gameplay

11. Epic Fool

“why you wouldn’t want to buy this is beyond even baffling”

It’s all the hype, it turns me off the game actually, statements exactly like that. :)

I’ll wait until a price drop, or GOTY edition with expansions, haven’t quite decided what version to buy yet either.

12. IL DUCE

Yeah, I love this game and I’m 10 or 11 hours in but I kind of wish I could alter my character…specifically my body type since I definitely made him waaay too bulky looking since it’s kind of difficult to tell how big you’re really making the guy in character creation since he just has his hands tied out in front of him…I was trying to be an archer but the guy looks like a total tank and I thought maybe there would be “are you sure you want to use this name and character” at the end of the entrance dungeon like fallout 3 but there wasn’t…it’s all good though, may have to start over if it continues to bug me while I play in 3rd person