Square Q2 financials – Sales fall 15% yoy, Deus Ex ships 2.18 million units worldwide

Friday, 4th November 2011 20:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Square Enix released its Q2 earnings report today, which noted a 15% year-over-year decrease in net sales to ¥57.516 billion ($735 million) for the April-September period.

However, profits were up 115% to ¥3.704 billion ($47 million), thanks to the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, along with an increase in web, smartphone, and social-network offerings.

Deus Ex shipped 2.18 million units worldwide, 800,000 of which were in North America and 1.38 million in Europe. Japanese figures were not included, as it has only been out since October 20 in the region.

Obsidian’s Dungeon Siege III shipped 820,000 worldwide, with 320,000 of those in North America, 480,000 in Europe, and 20,000 in Japan.

The firm’s Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection, which shipped for Wii in Japan during September, shipped 350,000 units.

Square CEO Yoichi Wada said the company looks at its current fiscal period as a time of “rebuilding”, and hopes to be back in proper form come March 31, 2013.

One of the ways it plans to do this, is by “creating 10 major IPs.”

Thanks: Gematsu, Gamespot.

1. Sini

I’m glad DE sold well, best thing square did so far this generation.

2. ASBI

+2M copies isnt enough for a game like DX:HR :(

3. chipvideo

I wish DE would have sold more. That is my favorite game so far this year.

4. fearmonkey

The game deserved to sell much more than that.

5. DSB

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think HR was written by the same chimps that write the Modern Warfares.

Bullshit machismo, cheap plot, endless cliches? Check, check and check.

6. Phoenixblight

“Call of crappy sells out the wazoo but a great game like Deus Ex:HR sells 2 millions copies, unbelievable.”

Call of Duty sells to the broadest spectrum of people where Deus Ex was selling a game that is 10+ years old and to that fanbase, be thankful it hit that number.

I am certainly glad I didn’t waste my money on the game because it was shallow and only compared to the original on a very superficial level. The writing was utter trash and cliche. Maybe this number can force Eidos Montreal to rethink how they want to bastardize Deus Ex. This game made Deus Ex 2 look fun….

7. Hunam

I’m not sure you played the same game as me, but it was anything but shallow and cliche. If anything, the writing was a breath of fresh air, people talking like people rather than trying to zing killer lines all the time.

8. DSB

Are you serious? Daniel Jensen makes Dirty Harry sound like he’s singing an aria. It was the most overplayed vocal performance I’ve seen in a game in a long time, and I actually found it harder to stand than Keanu Reeves, which is something I don’t say very often.

In terms of talking like people, I thought that was one of the more embarrassing flaws of the game. I had people go from almost complete psychotic rage to fully calm, content and sympathetic in a single sentence. I couldn’t take it seriously.

In a year that had games like Portal 2 and The Witcher 2, it was pretty disappointing.

9. Sini

portal 2 was good if you suffered from insomnia, helped me sleep.

10. Wintermute

Not bad but the game deserved to sell more.

The Witcher 2 was a mediocre sequel, IMO. The combat completely ruined it for me.

11. someguy2

@8 So you’re going to criticise the game based on a character that’s not even in the game?

12. Goffee

Guess the half million first week sales of FF Type 0 appear in next quarter’s figures.