Eurogamer goes live with full relaunch

Sunday, 23rd October 2011 17:58 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Eurogamer.net has gone live with its well-anticipated relaunch after a private beta period, showing a radical new take on one of Britain’s most popular games sites. Gone is the static centre content column and obvious ordering of articles by type, replaced instead with article feeds based on date and popularity.

It’s getting hammered at the moment, so you may have trouble getting it loaded, but it is there. Congrats to all involved.

1. mart

/dead

2. Mr Tom

Yep, fully down right now. The new design is rather lovely though, took me a couple of days to get used to the beta but it’s a improvement.

3. Johnny Cullen

Seen it last night on the beta servers. Looks proper swish. Grats to all the team involved.

4. daytripper

has the reader content been scrapped? i used to enjoy reading other gamers reviews on the site. shame they never went with a community blog option either but everything is really nice. good job eg.

5. craigy

daytripper — reader content will be back — give us a couple of days!

6. daytripper

nice :D

7. Se_7_eN

When is VG247 getting its remake!? and comment upvote options? :)

8. Anders

Looks pretty nice. Up on the local language sites like EG France, Spain and Sweden as well.

9. Maximum Payne

@7 This is actually VG247 3.0.

10. Giskard

@7 Hopefully never.

Not ever site needs uprating / downrating comments. It is seriously a plague, and is usually implemented for no good reason. Comments are fine as they are.

11. Maximum Payne

@10 Quoting would be nice :D

12. Fin

Up/down voting of comments would be a welcome addition, as would the ability to ignore users, otherwise I’m happy with the current VG247.

Not sure about EG yet, we’ll see how it is after a few days!

13. Ireland Michael

@12 And the ignore user remark comes up again, despite there already been a potential way to do that… except nobody wants to bother fixing the code for it.

Anyway, any layout changes to EuroGamer can only be an improvement. On an aesthetic level, that site always had one of the worst layouts I’d ever seen, especially the front page.

14. sg1974

“Eurogamer – part owner of VG247 – has gone live…..”

There. Fixed that for you. ;o)

15. Se_7_eN

@10 – How is it “a plague”? Don’t make shitty trolling comments and you will be fine…

The community here at VG247 is a lot different than “Kotaku” imo, that is why I stopped going there. Tons of useless non gaming related news and commenters who just troll and make stupid remarks about almost every article.

I think the community here is mature and respectful enough to handle comment voting system correctly. Except for GrimmRita.

16. Anders

@14: To be fair, VG247 have written about relaunches of several other gaming websites in the past, and most of them aren’t related to VG247. Check out the journalism category: http://www.vg247.com/category/journalism/

17. Bluebird

@15: Not to mention that Kotaku’s recent redesign made it almost unusable. :)

18. TraceableX

I don’t visit EG usually. I get my fix here.

Your fan from Saudi Arabia,
    Trace

19. Edo

Slow clap.

20. Erthazus

site is looking good. Good job Eurogamer.

21. sg1974

@16 I was only teasing.

@17 Not only is Kotaku unusable, it is unreadable. Can someone tell them to start writing about games again?

22. mathare92

I quite liked the previous design to be honest. It was unique in its own way.

The new design’s not bad, but there’s a lot of space being taken up by Battlefield 3 right now. Too much space. What are they going to fill the right side-pane with once BF3 releases and the marketing stops?

Edit: Another complaint. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like the big “Battlefield 3″ in the header ad is in conflict with the “eurogamer.net” on the top left. Too many huge titles in close proximity.

23. Ireland Michael

“What are they going to fill the right side-pane with once BF3 releases and the marketing stops?”

It’s very, very unlikely that EuroGamer is ever going to have any problems filling up marketing space on their website, to be honest.

24. Fin

I had to come back and mention that all the reviews are now single-page.
    This is possibly the best change of any website in the history of the world – I can now easily save all the reviews to Instapaper! Yes!!!

25. Anders

@24: The single best change in the new design for sure. I don’t want to click through five pages to read a review from beginning to end.

26. Yoshi

It still looks extremely crowded.
    That’s one reason I like vg247, it’s so clear and easy to just search through stuff.

27. deadstoned

I like the new layout its very pretty, however scrolling through all the stories seems annoying with the large spaces between them.

28. Hunam

Really like the new site, though the forum has been destoryed. Dunno what the fuck they were thinking there.

29. StolenGlory

I don’t really mind the new layout with the exception of one, really annoying thing – you can no longer see active forum threads from the mainpage.