Pre-orders for iPhone 4S top one million in 24 hours.

Monday, 10th October 2011 18:28 GMT By Andrew Groen

Even though the Apple faithful were a tad disappointed that it wasn’t the iPhone 5 that was unveiled last week, they still snapped up the iPhone 4S at a record pace.We previously reported that provider AT&T had announced they hit 200,000 pre-orders in just twelve hours, and it seems like they weren’t the only ones who had success selling iPhones on Friday.

This volume of pre-orders is the
highest number that any iPhone has yet achieved according to Apple. The 4S will be shipping on a first-ordered-first-served basis starting on October 14 in the UK, United States, Australia, Japan, Canada, France, and Germany.

Customers are being notified that due to the extreme volume of pre-orders, their iPhone may take 2-3 weeks to arrive. Previously, listings had offered launch day delivery.

1. Razor

/groan

2. Gekidami

How sad. People dont care that there are better phones out there, they’re literally just buying this because its got “iPhone” written on it.

3. AHA-Lambda

picking mine up on friday ^_^

4. Colin Gallacher

@3 Oh snap :D My 3GS is starting to hate me.

5. CyberMarco

Long Live Consumerism!!!

6. humanfish

I don’t think it is just as simple as it just having ‘Apple’ or ‘iPhone’ on the product, alot of people like being part of one ecosystem for content. What is the main reason analysts think the new Amazon Fire will be successulful when other ‘iPad killers’ have failed? They have the ecosystem to deliver all the content you might want. You don’t have to dick around with multiple logins with multiple sites.

I think that is one of the main reasons for the iPhones success. Unlike some of the other more sporadic devices and content delivery methods.

7. StolenGlory

I think i’ll probably grab next year’s model, the iPhone 5. The main reason for this of course is that i’m on a 24 month contract with my iPhone 4 and the 24 monthly period contracts, allow me to get a new iPhone every significant release(3,4,5), instead of every minor update (3GS,4S etc..)

8. mortiferus

@2. That is an ignorant statement. If the 4S had a 4″ screen and a different form factor the pundits would be calling it the best phone on the market bar none. Even without those two items it’s still the best phone on the market. I love the style and the way its made. It’s a quality device. And by the way, I am upgrading from a Droid X2 ;)

I used to poke fun at the iPhone crowd but now I know realize how wrong I was.

Also, have you played Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2? Those two games alone convinced me to jump ship.

9. sg1974

The smallest iterative improvement ever in the product line, and the biggest pre-order ever.

Proof positive that “spin and hype” works.

10. AHA-Lambda

@9 – i think its more of a case of the iphone being on the top of its game in sales and acclaim right now and the new iphone being just a marginal upgrade isnt going to kill that.

This will be my first iphone personally and i’m not too bothered it aint an iphone 5 when its only £30 more expensive than the iphone 4 on my network, so yeah 4S for me =D

11. daytripper

i’m due to upgrade next month, tempted

12. sg1974

Just heard a great quote:

“Xerox changed the world and Steve Jobs xeroxed their ideas and sold them.”

13. Dannybuoy

Good work. Impressive numbers indeed.