Legendary Apple boss Steve Jobs passes away aged 56

Thursday, 6th October 2011 00:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Apple has confirmed that founder and long-time CEO Steve Jobs has passed away after a long battle with cancer.

Steve Jobs: Visionary

Co-founded Apple in 1976.

Left Apple in 1985 to start NeXT, developing the technology at the core of the modern Macintosh operating system, OS-X – and acquire the company soon to become Pixar.

Returned to take up the position of CEO in 1997.

Famously dropped out of college.

Apple launched the first iPod and iTunes in 2001; the two are credited with popularising digital distribution.

In a post on the company’s website, Apple confirmed Jobs death but gave few details.

“Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being.

“Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.”

An Apple press release posted by Business Insider reports the vionary passed away today, debunking earlier reports related to a September 9 rumour of his demise.

Jobs resigned from the role of CEO in late August, replaced by former COO Tim Cook, just weeks before his passing, and made no appearance during a press event this week to announce the iPhone 4S.

Jobs was at Apple’s helm when the company transformed itself from a dangerously obscure computing alternative into a cultural force; under his guidance, Apple produced the first iPod, changing not only the music industry but paving the way for the worlds of digital distribution and mobile gaming.

The games industry would be a very different place without Jobs’s contributions. He is sure to be sorely missed as we meet the challenges of the new digital world.

1. daytripper

r.i.p steve jobs

2. Yoshi

Dammnnnn…rather speechless

3. LOLshock94

RIP steve

4. Johnny Cullen

Just woke up. Stunned, properly stunned. Needless to say he was a visionary. Don’t know what else to say other than RIP, good sir.

5. minxamo

This has taken over the internet.
    Seriously it’s everywhere.

6. Brenna Hillier

He had such a profound effect on the shape of the entertainment and business worlds. We’re only now discovering the potential of those effects. I’m so sorry he won’t be here to see the new landscape his company created.

7. earlyrock

Properly gutted. Great man, who did some amazing things for the tech world, and ended up going through a pretty horrific last few years.

Even if you weren’t an Apple fan, his bankrolling and belief in Pixar alone is something to be grateful for! RIP.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

Shiiit. That’s proper sobering news to wake up to. Rest in peace Steve. :’(

9. xino

no wonder why he stepped down, it makes sense

10. Johnny Cullen

And let’s not forget, besides Apple, there was Pixar too. I forgot about that when I made my original comment. But anyways, needless to say besides Apple as well, Pixar brought a lot of joy in the past 15+ years. Don’t know what else to say.

11. S0meRand0mN00b

WOOOT!

12. Telepathic.Geometry

There’s always one. :/

13. triggerhappy

Shame. An absolute shame. Best wishes to his family and stuff.

14. Ireland Michael

I guess he probably knew this was coming. It’s probably why he resigned.

Smart man. Definitely changed the entertainment industry in profound ways. His influence will be missed.

15. ShiroGamer

RIP, Mr jobs

16. Razor

Terrible news really.

Using a MacBook right now, something Steve will have played a part in designing.

Feels strange.

17. neon6

AMERICA SHEDS A TEAR… PANCREATIC CANCER SYMPHONY BWAAAAAAAAH

18. DarkElfa

I’m not sad about it but I won’t cheer.

19. deadstoned

RIP Steve Jobs you gave us cool computers, ipods, iphones, ipads and PIXAR. RIP Good Sir.

20. Colin Gallacher

I’m far more saddened by this than I thought I would be.

21. ultramega

One of the many examples on what a “great man” he was:
    “Jobs returned to his previous job at Atari and was given the task of creating a circuit board for the game Breakout. According to Atari founder Nolan Bushnell, Atari had offered $100 for each chip that was eliminated in the machine. Jobs had little interest or knowledge in circuit board design and made a deal with Wozniak to split the bonus evenly between them if Wozniak could minimize the number of chips. Much to the amazement of Atari, Wozniak reduced the number of chips by 50, a design so tight that it was impossible to reproduce on an assembly line. At the time, Jobs told Wozniak that Atari had only given them $700 (instead of the actual $5000) and that Wozniak’s share was thus $350″

In summary…

Not a single damn was given.

Congratulations on him being successful and all (and I take no joy from the death of another person, I’ll have you know), but he didn’t treat others like human beings. Maybe what comes around goes around in cases like this – As it seems all his money and success couldn’t save him from a young death.

/flame-shield engaged

22. Cygnar

He was more than successful. Nearly every protable music player released since the iPod attempted to imitate the iPod’s functionality. Nearly every high-end cellphone released since the iPhone was an imitation of the iPhone. Nearly every tablet computer released since the iPad was an imitation of the iPad.

I don’t like Apple products, and I certainly don’t like the way the rest of the computing industry has shied away from innovating beyond Apple’s standard. I don’t know how Mr. Jobs treated his coworkers and employees, but I don’t need to like that either. Regardless of what you or I think of Mr. Jobs, however, his impact on the computing market was and still is staggering. His products have literally defined consumer expectations. That is much more than the word ‘success’ can describe.

23. Christopher Jack

Never liked the guy, (in fact I would compare with Mom[from Futurama]) but you have to respect the man & his accomplishments.

R.I.P

@22, I don’t think that it’s fair to call competing products simple imitations, you seem to forget that Apple wasn’t the first, they just popularized it

24. DaMan

As much as I always enjoyed their products, and that’s what the whole corporate business is about – they made it, they sell it, as long as it does what I need and does that well I don’t need to care about anything else, they aren’t a free theatre.. I never really ‘liked’ Mr Jobs, the guy does deserve respect though.. I can’t feel sorry for a person I ‘m not even friends with, but anyone who chose to live their life that actively up until the end I respect. I don’t think anyone’s demise should be made into a series of articles though..56 is a really old man too btw.. it’s not surprising, and it’s not uncommon.

As for innovations, in all fairness you could make a list, from Mac GUI becoming the defacto standard for all PCs even though earlier workstations used a similar concept but those were that, workstations, numerous OS features like Expose and dock, to Plug & Play, Quicktime, 64 bit desktops, Firewire, to personal digital assistant (which was the ancient predecessor to even today’s tablets and smartphones/iPods), unless you count the early 80s Psion as such but then every single thing in existence is based on something from before, to iTunes to advancing the industry in general e.g. by acquiring NEXT.

25. Christopher Jack

@24, 56 Isn’t that old, it’s older than middle aged for most people but it’s not old enough to get you a pensioners card.

26. DaMan

It isn’t ‘that’ old as in 70, but it’s old enough to easily die from a chronic disease, which many have, let alone something worse. If you have constant stress which even any actively living, working person gets that helps too.

27. Talkar

On another note, Apple launches a new product today: iDied

28. Johnny Cullen

Keep it tasteful, please. Ta.

29. Mike

What Johnny said.

RIP Steve, I didn’t always agree with your politics, but I have nothing but respect for the way you’ve changed the technological landscape.

Rest in peace.

30. K-V-C

R.I.P MR. JOBS

31. Stoopid_Snot

never been a fan, but it is still a shame

32. YoungZer0

A shame, really. But i don’t really think it should be on a gaming site. Jobs never tried to push gaming on his platform.

33. Gheritt White

Gutted. Properly gutted. The world has lost the closest thing we’re ever likely to get to a real life Tony Stark. I’m genuinely, personally saddened by this news.

Nevertheless, #27 did make me chuckle.

@ #32: Steve Jobs created Breakout – that *alone* means it’s newsworthy on a gaming website.

34. Anders

@33 Steve Jobs didn’t create Breakout, he produced a prototype based on a concept by Nolan Bushnell and Steve Bristow. Credit where credit is due.

That said, I don’t envy anyone trying to make a case that news about Steve Jobs passing isn’t fit for a gaming website.

35. Moonwalker1982

But why are people disliking him? I admit i don’t know a awful lot about him, but why are people saying he mistreated his people?

Are those facts or are those ‘media’ ‘facts’ ? Cause if that’s what it is..i’ll take it with a huge grain of salt.

36. Christopher Jack

@35, Mainly colleagues themselves.

37. rrw

@35 dont know about mistreated his people but steve job basically arrogant and i am talking way back before apple sucessful

anyway i will miss him as great people

[fanboy mode]

now time to enjoy fall of apple :D

38. frostquake

Though I might not have like all of Apple’s products, nor Pricing Structure, what the man brought to the Industry, definitely kick started a Technology Revolution, and for that I am thankful and grateful!

Stay Frosty My Friends!

39. Eregol

I knew nothing about Steve Jobs until he died.
    I went on a massive info overload when I heard about this and am amazed at just how much he has influenced parts of my life.

The world is poorer when it loses visionary people such as him.

If you’re unsure about facets of his life check out the Wikipedia page. There’s a lot on there about fights with the head of Dell, problems with employees, his LSD use when he went to India, how he screwed Wozniak over when they built a circuit board for Atari.

He was remarkable, and slightly unhinged. But most geniuses are.

40. DSB