Amazon announces Kindle Fire Tablet, demos Fruit Ninja

Wednesday, 28th September 2011 15:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Amazon announced its Kindle Fire tablet today for $199 during a press conference held by the firm.

The tablet has a 7-inch display, dual core processor, according to Bloomberg, and will run on Android. While it doesn’t sport a camera or microphone, it offers Wi-Fi connectivity, free cloud storage, and comes with a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime. 3G access is not available in this model, but according to various rumors around the net, it is being looked into for the future.

Millions of songs, and apps will be accessible through the device, no cable syncing is required, you can watch movies, and apparently play Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja.

Gizmodo is liveblogging the event with many updates as they happen.

Pre-orders are available starting today, and it releases on November 15.

1. Patrick Garratt

S to the OLD.

2. Colin Gallacher

Angry Birds logo has me sold.

3. StolenGlory

Angry Birds logo has me raising my middle finger.

4. silkvg247

No 3g = no internet at all?

How is this even remotely viable for UK users then, given that we don’t really have wifi.. well.. anywhere other than our own homes.

Or let me guess, we have to do the usual thing of waiting longer and paying more (for a 3G model). And then have to pay over the odds for roaming internet as well. Good times.

5. Goffee

This is for couch potatoes, people buying content from their sofas. A slightly better model is predicted for next year, might have 3G, but most of its buyers wouldn’t care if it was powered by small ants that you fed sugar too… http://www.cmswire.com/cms/mobile/amazons-199-kindle-fire-to-spark-the-tablet-market-012847.php

6. silkvg247

LOL I hate this country, or rather, I hate the fact that apprently living here means you are in ripoff central.

£89 for the lowest model. £89 vs. $79.

S E R I O U S L Y ?

Well, consider that me very much out of this. If that’s anything to go by I guess the Fire will be about £230, vs $199. Need I say where they can shove that.

And yes I know the dollar prices don’t include tax but still, do the math. it spells RIP OFF.