Ouch: Vita memory card pricing revealed

Monday, 19th September 2011 05:52 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Now that the dust is settling after an uber-successful Tokyo Game Show, some of the shine is starting to come off of the things we’ve been promised. The PlayStation Vita – undeniably the star of the show – has a few faults that have risen to the surface. While battery life’s already been addressed, we’re now learning that the handheld’s memory cards are not going to be cheap.

When designing the PlayStation Vita, Sony chose to include – or leave out – certain features apparently based largely on production costs. One casualty was on-board memory, with the company keeping that to a minimum and forcing gamers to rely on extra memory cards when it comes to storing games and other fun things. As the Vita is a Sony product, these memory cards are proprietary, and you’re forced to buy specific Sony-branded merchandise.

This, of course, is where the company will make up its money.

According to a new press release, there are four different memory card sizes due for release in Japan alongside the Vita in December, and you can expect to pay a premium for your megabytes.

The 4GB model is 2,200yen (approximately $29), 8GB 3,200yen ($42), 16GB 5,500yen ($72), and if you want to go the whole hog, a 32GB style will set you back 9,500yen ($124). Fingers crossed that by the time the handheld escapes Japan it will have received a price adjustment, but from the get-go, those are a little steep (particularly for holding the all-downloadable game library we’ve been promised!).

Technically, you’re not chained to the Sony brand. Third-party manufcturers will be churning out cheap cards at a much lower price point any day now, but the choice is on your head. These unofficial cards are not guaranteed to work consistently, and losing your save game might be worth more to you than forking out the extra bucks at the beginning.

For more pricing and accessory details, check out the official press release and start saving your pennies.

1. KAP

This a really big issue? Really?

Like I said in a previous post, when I bought my PSP 7yrs ago an official 1Gb memorystick was £99. VERY expensive back then not long after they dropped in price very very quickly.

Proprietary hardware is always a ballache, and honestly I’m vex that Sony didnt keep with Memorysticks seeing as there much cheaper but ultimately this is a non issue in the sense that the moment a third party decides to copy these like they do now, they’ll plummet in price then everyones happy!

Thee end.

2. albo88

lol wtf even the SSD is more economic this days

3. Erthazus

RIP OFF of giant proportions.

These memory cards in reality cost from 5$-15$ at it’s best. Typical Sony. Lets overprice the shit out of the peripherals.

As someone said above: Even SSD is more economic.

32 GB for 9500 Yen? Suck my balls, Sony.

4. NightCrawler1970

I think a company will comes with VITA chip for allot less and it will works on Vita, chips doesn’t make the difference… only the name “SONY” is on the chip… just be patient, price will drop soon….

5. Christopher Jack

Stupid proprietary bullshit, there comes a point where people get annoyed when companies leep pushing new mediums especially when it’s not going to go anywhere & there’s already more economical alternatives. Now I understand why Sony want to use a proprietary format, but you simply can’t justify those price points.

6. gomersoul

this seems ok pricing to me, what’s everyone complaining about? a 32gb memory stick from sony now costs at best £70. And is erthazus mental?! sony overprice peripherals?! have you tried to buy anything for your xbox?

7. get2sammyb

The PS3 let you pop in laptop hard-drives. But I bet they saw how much money Microsoft was making from selling XBOX 360 hard-drives at a premium and wanted in on that pie. So of course they’re going to charge you through the nose for Vita memory sticks.

I think with PS4 they’ll try not to “include the kitchen sink” and charge extra for it too. The “It Only Does Everything” mentality eventually cost Sony because the XBOX 360 was a cheaper box on the shelf — even if you did need to shell out for Wi-Fi, etc.

8. jacobvandy

The mark-up here is no worse than what they or Microsoft or Apple do all the time. You create a perception of higher quality by raising the price, and they’ll make a killing off of uninformed people that think only Sony brand accessories work with their Sony device. For those of you that don’t fall for that, you’ll have the third-party stuff that will be cheaper but might not be a perfect match (besides shape, who knows what they’re doing to make the format proprietary).

Raw price of flash memory is around $1/GB these days, but while they’re going to undercut Sony, they still want to make some money. I think you’ll see 4GB for $15-20, 8GB for $25-30, 16GB for $40-45, and 32GB for $60-70.

9. Blerk

Ouch. What’s wrong with using Micro SD like everyone else?

10. strikkebil

god i hate sony sometimes…

11. NeoSquall

@6 yes, he’s mental.

12. Goffee

People are angry that a company wants to make a profit? Maybe the communists should have been allowed to win, and all games developers forced to produce games for free… when they weren’t down the coal mine, that is.

Let’s do the maths for the morons:

PS Vita = sexy and expensive technology being sold AT A LOSS
    Peripherals = cheap technology being sold AT A PROFIT

Sony needs PROFIT to exist as a company; no Sony = no games to play, gamers cry…

Over time prices become cheaper. More people buy stuff.

BUT if you want to get in there first, you pay a premium. Has been true since the Sinclair ZX81 and its 16K RAM pack and even before then, will be true after we’re all dead.

13. Joe Musashi

All manufacturers overcharge for their proprietary goods. Anyone expecting otherwise must have amnesia or be wearing blinkers.

JM

14. NeoSquall

@12 if Commies won we wouldn’t have games at all, I think.
    even Tetris wouldn’t exist, because there wasn’t a rising American videogame industry to challenge.

15. Goffee

@14 Communism was just a red herring

16. Ireland Michael

Sony’s memory cards have always been stupidly over expensive. Back when I got my PSP, I bought a card adapter that is the size of Sony’s standard MSD cards, but allows me to put in any generic micro SD card I want. And it works flawlessly.

The assumption that third party cards will somehow be less reliable is bollocks though. It may have been true in the time of the PS1, when you needed a honking block to store less than 1MB of data, but SD cards are incredibly basic technology nowadays, and 9 times out of 10 they work just fine no matter who you buy them from.

17. daytripper

disagree KAP

18. Yoshi

I’m surprised Sony is only just starting to force people to use their other Sony products with Sony products. Microsoft have been doing it with the Xbox since launch. If you want more hard drive space, you gotta get the Xbox external ones etc.

19. Ireland Michael

@18 Sony aren’t forcing anyone to use only their products. They’re just creating their own ones, as they’ve always done for the past 27 years of making games machines.

I’ve never used a Sony branded memory card in my PSP, and I fail to see why I wouldn’t be able to do so either the Vita either.

Nowhere do I see any indication that this system is limited to Sony’s cards and Sony’s cards only, unless I’m missing something obvious at that link.

20. silkvg247

What is their actual official excuse for not using industry standard SDHC cards? Just wanted to see it for a laugh, if they’ve even bothered to make up an excuse at all that is. Otherwise I guess their official line is “we love to milk our fans”.

21. Ireland Michael

@20 Except for the fact, as already pointed out, there are alternatives.

PS1 Memory Cards. PS2 memory cards. PSP SD adapters. PS3 allowing replacement standardised HDDs.

People commonly fall for the simple fact that they have the company’s branding. Like the idiots who buy Apple’s piece of shit earphones for their iPods, or the Microsoft Keypad even though you can plug in a generic USB keyboard into your 360 and it can type just fine.

22. spiderLAW

cant convert the pricing like that accurately anyways. Take for example the price of the units in Yen and convert it to USD. Vita has already been announced at $249.99 and $399.99 in the US. If you conver the yen price to usd, it would be $350 and $325. Soooo in other words, the pricing will be different than just a simple yen conversion.

23. Lounds

Curency is worth more in other countries, I mean GBP is worth a lot and yet we get a shit load of tax thrown on, kinda not fair.

In 2007 I got MSD 4gb from US for £70 and I thought I had a bargin lol.

24. Hybridpsycho

#8 is correct.

Although I think it’s a bad choice on their part.