Origin has 4 million client installs, third-party offerings coming “very soon”

Friday, 9th September 2011 19:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA has reiterated its plans to allow other publishers to distribute games on its new digital service, Origin.

Speaking during the UBS conference in London, EA CFO Eric Brown said that while the service was initially set up to deliver its own content, “very soon” EA will be “delivering third-party content” to Origin.

Brown said other companies will be attracted to Origin, due to service’s “backend infrastructure, the 130 million-plus registered users,” and its various digital payment methods.

“We’re fairly excited about Origin,” Brown said, per Gamasutra. “We have about 4 million installs of the client, we expect that number to climb substantially as we enter this … holiday season.”

The executive didn’t elaborate on just how “soon” third-party titles would arrive on the service, nor did Brown reveal which companies the firm was courting at the moment.

1. _S_E_R_G_

bf3 – the only reason why i installed this crap

2. GrimRita

Same. the only reason why i installed this piece of shit is because of BC3 Alpha…whoops, I meant BF3. Easy to get them both confused. Now Alpha is over, this piece of shit has been uninstalled.

3. Maximum Payne

@2 Troll some were else.

4. GrimRita

@3 lick EA’s arse somewhere else

And compared to Steam, it IS a piece of shit. Doesnt offer anything like the selection of games or the community features. I suggest you look for yourself, so you know what people are actually talking about instead of licking EA’s arse

5. absolutezero

From the Alpha BF3 was nothing like BC2. At all.

Then again most people will find out for themselves when the hit beta hits.

6. ItsFade

They reeled me into install it for Battlefield 3 coming out very similar to how Steam reeled me in with the promise of Half-Life 2 back in the day.

I don’t see myself buying anything directly from Origin any time soon due to how expensive their games are compared to other places like brick and mortar stores.

I haven’t had any problems with it and it loads rather fast but I will probably never use it for anything other than Battlefield.

7. Maximum Payne

@4 I didn’t mean you Origin statement, then Your statement how BF3 looked like BC2…

8. Yoshi

@5 If you thought that then you may need your eyes testing. It felt very much like BC2 in the alpha and that’s why a lot of people just say it should be called BC3 but with prone and planes.

9. GrimRita

Bf3 plays exactly like BC2. The Battlefield games have commanders and larger squads where BF3 doesnt have a commander, smaller squads and is a Bad Company game in every way apart from name.

Personally, having a Commander set the BF series aside from everything out there but now its turning into a CoD clone. Either way, I wont be getting it and I wont be using Origin as I dont see any reason to.

Steam slaps Origin in the face and lets watch the numbers drop when both of their big disappointments are released.

10. Maximum Payne

@8 Oh please did you watch caspian border ? Just as big as BF2.
    They said commo rose will be back + planes,prone,64 players what more you want to be called BF2 sequel ?

11. Yoshi

@10, I’m pretty sure they never confirmed the commo rose. And as he said, Commander and large squads would be a good start for a BF2 sequel :)

12. Maximum Payne

@11 That is definition of whining IMO
    I could care less when most beautiful shooter is out that some guy order uav and stuff .”Oh noo there is no commander and how I am going to play now when only 3 of my friend can be in squad we always play as 5 man snipers forget every other stuff they added not buying”! LOL

13. freedoms_stain

The version of BF3 I played during the Alpha certainly did not play “exactly like BC2″. There are some parallels, but there are as many differences as similarities.

14. GrimRita

@12 – clearly you are missing the point. Commanders, larger squads are what seperates BF from BC and sets it apart from (insert name of generic FPS game here)and to have them missing doesnt really make it a Battlefield 3 game does it?

15. Talkar

Weird how Dice hasn’t hired you to work for them since you seem to know what a Battlefield game is, and the ones who created it doesn’t. Oh wait, they do!

16. ItsFade

@14 Out of the 10 released Battlefield games not counting expansions only two of them had commander. Its hardly something that breaks the game. I will however admit that it’s a regression of game play but in the end the game will most likely still be excellent without it.

What sets Battlefield apart for me from the rest of shooters is how great the games play and how much freedom they give the players to approach maps how they see fit. Whether that is being a medic or bombing the hell out of a city while piloting a jet. In Battlefield they give the player the option to do those things and that is truly what makes the games so great in my opinion.

17. absolutezero

2142 had commanders and they were fucking useless. So dropping them effects me a grand total of naught.

Seeing as most of the people playing BF2 apart from clans used squads for nothing other than jumping into the game as fast as possible not having as large ones make no difference either.

BF3 Alpha had a much loser camera, full body, prone and the gunplay was alot more deadly and realistic. BC2 was a blast, a massive bombastic explosion of things falling apart everywhere you look, BF3 was nothing like that at all.

18. Xuchilbara

@18 – You are a fag, and Stephany is going to beat your ass right off this site… Right Steph? RIGHT…

19. triggerhappy

^ eh when that spams deleted your gonna be #18 :P

20. GrimRita

The only thing that spoiled BC2 for me was the long list of silly bugs. And after experiencing Alpha, some of them are still there. Yes it was Alpha but either the game engine cant deal with certain things (like hitboxes, leaves etc) or they really need to pull their finger out of their arse and actually fix stuff.

Personally, I have NEVER touched a CoD game but you got to hand it to Activision who simply milk the title with lots of expansions, add ons etc. I just wonder if this BF game will do the same?

@16 I agree. You cant fault either game for its gameplay, which makes BC2 all the more frustrating for me.

Bottom line, I dont want to install Origin simply due to how EA have gone about their business with its release, the pulling of games from Steam and then the user agreement. It all takes the piss and its a service I wont be using for just 1 game.

@15 I couldnt work in Sweden, it would require me to be nice :-p

21. Talkar

You do know it was Valve who kicked EA’s games off of Steam due to them not selling their DLC through Steam right? ;)

22. Yoshi

@22 Meaning it was EA’s fault ;)

23. GrimRita

@22 – 23 is right. Sega sell their DLC for Total War through Steam, so what makes EA different? Clearly they did something delibrate to piss Valve off, then blame Valve for removing their crappy games.

EA just wanted to use the negative publicity to drive their crappy own DD servuce