Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link DLC detailed

Thursday, 8th September 2011 17:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Square Enix has detailed The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and sent along screenshots and a teaser video for it as well. Spoilers below, just so you know.

In it, lead character Adam Jensen’s three-day disappearance and what he was doing during this time will be revealed.

Description: “After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, gamers will befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events.”

Features:

• New layers of conspiracy unveiled
  • Sprawling new environments
  • Brand-new characters
  • Rebuild Adam’s augmentation set

The Missing Link will be made available in October on PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Steam, and OnLive.

1. Ireland Michael

“The Missing Game Content pawned off as DLC”, more like.

Fuck off Square, you punch of pawning wankers.

2. Hcw87

Not like this is something new, all developers do this. Also with a game this great, DLC is greatly appreciated. It’s not like the game felt short or anything as it was bigger than most games coming out these days, and people seem to forget that they have to cut stuff to make it fit on the disc.

3. YoungZer0

@1: Missing Game Content? Isn’t that what DLC’s are for? To give developers the chance to implement something they weren’t able to in that time? Is that a reason to criticizes them now?

4. Ireland Michael

@3 I don’t believe for a second this was something they weren’t able to do in time. They just ripped it straight out of the main game and turned it into DLC.

I’m okay with DLC that comes out later down the line, that adds additional content game modes or content to the game (RDR: Undead Nightmare, all the additional Burnout Paradise content, LittleBigPlanet level packs), and extra bonus points if its free.

This though, is an entire segment of the main story, taken out of the final product and sold off as DLC weeks after the games release. It’s disgustingly transparent.

5. hitnrun

@4: We should be so lucky. It looks ridiculously shoehorned into the main plot, not a part of it. Like finding out that Han Solo was thawed out and had a crazy adventure across Tatooine before being refrozen in carbonite before his friends got to Jabba’s palace.

The bit about it being finished probably six months ago and held out of the main game I agree with, however.

We have this DLC channel now; why can’t we use it to deliver expansions? Whatever happened to those? As Tycho from PA puts it, I don’t like revisiting a random part of a narrative I just finished. And heck, I’m *playing through the game* again.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 Deus Ex’s entire plot is a pretentious, poorly written mess, so the DLC would fit in perfectly with the rest of the game in that case.

7. XurrionHun

@Ireland – Deus Ex has one of the best storylines ever. This is a fact, it’s well written, extremely complex and makes sense. Just becausue you don’t have the capacity to grasp it, doesn’t mean it’s a bad game. Go read some books. Square Enix is doing something really amazing with this game. This isn’t something they ripped from the game just to re-release it. It’s something that may not be completely relevant to the main story, but it is something that will give us further insight into the game’s world, the main character and his struggles.

8. Phoenixblight

Really? Best written? It was poorly written in fact it was an afterthought of the entire game made with cliches. You should go out and read because if you think this is fantastic writing then you must be reading Twilight or some other preteen trash.

9. hitnrun

@6 Them’s strong words for AD 2011. Generally, a game is judged against its contemporaries.

I agree it’s pretentious; the pretense being that you’re a fan of the first game, which was itself a ’90s-conspiracy X-Files millenarian mash-up.

@8: Name me a game that isn’t entirely made with cliches. This is an industry where blank-eyed characters staring vapidly past the camera while offering to have genderless gay sex with you is considered the pinnacle of edgy storytelling. Certainly no game in nearly a decade has had as much breadth or texture (referring to the world outlined in the emails, e-books, etc), except maybe BioShock.

I don’t find it particularly *believable,* but neither do I find most games so.

10. OrbitMonkey

Hitnrun +1

11. Phoenixblight

I understand there will always be a form a of cliches but the story in itself is like it wasn’t the focus of the game at all like you see in Portal, Portal 2, Bioware games, Kevin Levine games. Deus Ex: HR story is half baked that you gave to a day laborer and give them 20$ and tell them to write a story involving three locations. Its that horrid. There is no depth within it. All the emails, newspapers, and notes add nothing to the story but extra filler for people to hack to find out. Oh yay! No name forgot to pay a bill to her landlord. *rolls eyes*

12. Aimless

@11 Given that DE:HR is the first game in a long while that’s made me question my world view, I’m going to have to dispute your “no depth” comment.

Likewise there’s a lot to be gleaned from the various reading materials if you pay attention, both in terms of foreshadowing — including the events of the original — and general world building.

As for the DLC, I can’t say the part in the game where it slots in felt like a noticeable gap to me.

13. Phoenixblight

I got the references to the original any person can do that there are a lot of Fan fics that do it. THat is not new. I knew what was going on with the story by 3rd way through it was so obvious it was like watching a afterschool show.

MGS had a far better illustration and transhumanism theme then this game and you could actually see the consequence of humans using augments and nano technology.

I was looking for some form of evolution within the Deus Ex universe and all I got was some team trying to ride on what Warren Spector’s coat tails with just copying and paste what he and his team had done without understanding them. I would have been more forgiving to this game if they had just updated Deus Ex the original instead of trying to do something “new” when its not. Nothing about this game is new, there isn’t anything about this game that hasn’t been done before and the things they did do were not better than previous games like MGS4.

14. Ireland Michael

@12 Blade Runner did it all decades earlier, and ten times better.

Human Revolution’s storytelling and clichéd “message” is almost as poorly written and needlessly in your face as anything that’s come out of the Metal Gear Solid franchise. It’s not quite as bad, but it’s close.

15. DSB

I don’t want to be mean, but if something as mindnumbingly basic as Deus Ex: HR makes you question your worldview, then you really haven’t been keeping up with what’s going on around you.

It hardly goes anywhere near any major existential question, and certainly no more than you might get from two hours of reading or watching Fight Club (I’m NOT saying that Fight Club is a revelation, I’m saying it’s the pixie book way to challenge what you might believe about society).

If people were inspired to be curious in their daily lives and learn a bit about the world instead of relying on the sheltered consensus they’re fed through the standard educational system, then something like Deus Ex: HR would simply be seen for what it was: Cheap regurgitation of easy questions asked for no good reason, by incompetent writers who are desperately trying to be grandiose.

16. Ireland Michael

@15 But DSB, the subject of personal augmentation is one close to all our hearts! Have you never wondered if you would be better off with a computerised eyeball, or how much better your throw would be with a robotic arm?

This is important, relevant stuff, dammit!

17. Aimless

You can think what you like of me; I’m not going to apologise for getting something out of a world that examines a subject from many angles and isn’t annoyingly didactic about it.

It’s not about shining a lens on something for the first time — although for the record, this game and Blade Runner raise very different questions — but giving food for thought, and by the end of the game I had taken the time to reconsider my stance on the melding of man and machine. Whilst various elements of the game aren’t exactly realistic, the issues raised are relatable to a future I’ll most likely live to see; it’s not about existentialist navel gazing so much as considering the real ramifications of where we’re headed.