Rumour – Wii U hardware development troubled

Thursday, 8th September 2011 01:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Whispers say Nintendo is struggling with the development of the Wii U, finding its tech unable to deliver on some of the system’s core features.

An alleged source inside Nintendo told the generally reliable 01net that the Wii U’s final architecture had been uncharacteristically “rushed out the door”, and that its chipset isn’t powerful enough for what’s required.

Notably, engineers are said to be struggling with getting the wireless tablet to work despite three prototypes, with a fourth expected this month. Currently, dev kits are said to require a tethering cable.

Even tethered, the source claims communication between the console and controller is shaky, and developers have been plagued with near daily software updates.

Although the console was reportedly internally scheduled for a June 2012 release, Nintendo is said to be considering pushing it back to September 2012.

01net’s source is the same to have spurred talk of a second circle pad peripheral for the 3DS, something which is rapidly looking more and more likely.

1. nofear360

Wow… they certainly seem to be out of luck these days.

2. neon6

Things will turn out better for them once they release the new 3ds.

3. daytripper

not surprised really, if true of course.

4. Telepathic.Geometry

Jesus Ninty, what the fuck is up with ye these days. It’s like a perfect storm over there or something. :^(

5. OlderGamer

Not looking good at all.

Time will tell I guess.

6. HauntaVirus

Nintendo has really taken a dive lately.

7. Phoenixblight

Nintendo will come out of this. What people fail to realize is that Nintendo is not a new company they have been kicking for little over a century and have been making games all this time. The only thing that has changed in the last few decades is the medium.

8. FRGT10

Did Nintendo lost their EXP? It looks like a simple problem.

BTW, I’m not an engineer.

9. deathgaze

Nintendo’s primary problem is that it doesn’t realize that the paradigm has changed. It wants to sell games at retailers for premium dosh. People don’t want to shell out 50 bucks for overpriced shovelware and subpar AAA games. People want small, cheap games that are comparable to movies. They want them bitesize or medium sized and they want them now. Nintendo has continually failed to understand the new Internet reality. I see no reason to expect that they will change that course with the Wii U. I also see no reason to expect that they will not put out a fine product in their own right. It’s just not the product the market really wants.

Nintendo is on thin ice right now. They’d better wise up before the world leaves them behind.

10. OlderGamer

“It’s just not the product the market really wants.”

We sure do read and listen to a lot of that.

And no offense DG, really, none is meant, but Nintendo kicked butt this gen. If no one wants their stuff why does it sell? And not just hardware either. We often read that Wii sells but game sales are bad. Other then COD, I believe that Nintendo has the best selling games out there.

I am concerned about some of what I read on WiiU. But the parts that bother have nothing to do with system power, Internet conectivity, or libary of games. All of those are buzz words that lure floks to MS and Sony systems. Nintendo is different. Nintendo games have sort of magic to them. I just played through Kirbys Epic Yarn and loved it. Sure it was youthful here and there. But it was bright, colorful, upbeat, and just plan fun to sit down with. My wife and I played it co-op and enjoyed every second of the thing. It just has … magic.

So many games today are missing that aspect.

I believe WiiU will be a worthwhile system to own.

What does bother me about Nitendos WiiU at this point? Mostly I think they tipped their hat too soon. They just didn’t have hardware and tech specs set. I think they are racing to market to try and beat MS/Sony. That part bothers me. Alot actualy.

11. Blerk

It certainly does seem like they’re rushing things along, OG – and to their detriment. It used to be that Nintendo didn’t ship stuff until it was done (N64 says hi!) but I guess they’re in a tricky place right now. Take too long and the others might beat them to market with superior kit, jump too early and you end up with a “half-finished” situation like the 3DS.

It does seem odd that they’re suddenly competing with Sony and Microsoft again, though. Wasn’t their whole mantra last gen that they couldn’t/wouldn’t compete on raw tech so they were going to do their own thing instead? If both of those things are still true, why does it matter if they take longer to get to market?

Regardless, they have a long, long way to go before they’ll convince me to part with money for either of their new platforms. Even the kids aren’t sold on the 3DS and they still play their regular DSes to bits.