Mass Effect 3 will be the end of Commander Shepard

Tuesday, 30th August 2011 03:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

When you put down your controller at the end of Mass Effect 3, it may not be the last time you visit that universe – but it will be the last time you play as Commander Shepard.

“After this, Commander Shepard’s story is complete,” producer and community manager Michael Gamble told PC Gamer of Mass Effect 3.

Asked whether Commander Shepard “definitely” wouldn’t appear in future games, Gamble answered, “Correct.”

It’s not clear whether this means Shepard will die during the final game in the trilogy, although we know for sure that the player can royally fuck things up and ensure the Commander does not survive.

Mass Effect 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March.

1. osric90

Unless they’re going to make another trilogy at the height of the current one for next-gen consoles (PS4, Xbox 720 or whatever) I really hope they don’t do ANYTHING. We don’t want Mass Effect turned into the next Halo or behated Call of Duty; with tons of titles and spin-offs we don’t really know which one to get and why… and if the people we really want the games from were really involved in the making… etc.

2. endgame

no other figure I’ve identified myself with as much as I did with the commander. He will be missed. :(

3. noherczeg

Where can I find that header picture? :O

4. Dralen

If they are going to make more, I only want it as a next gen game. Too many games these days making sequel, after sequel, after sequel.

5. TheBlackHole

As long as they are as good as the first two, I don’t care how many they make.

More good games = fine by me.

6. Cozzy

IF another game is made I really hope they allow you to choose your race like in DA:Origins. I’d love to explore the Mass Effect universe from an alien perspective.

7. DuckOfDestiny

Mass Effect MMO?

8. endgame

@3 right-click on it and select copy! ;)