Origin EULA revised with data collection for marketing purposes nixed

Friday, 26th August 2011 21:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA has revised its EULA for Origin, and has removed the bits about using data collected for marketing, but in the end it will still collect your system data and there isn’t an opt out option available.

According to the new version, posted by Giantbomb, EA can still use Origin to collect: “nonpersonally identifiable (or anonymous) information for purposes of improving our products and services, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as communicating with you. The non-personally identifiable information that EA collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.”

The revised section of the EULA goes on to state that EA knows customers “care how information,” is collected, used and shared, it appreciates that those installing Origin are trusting it to “do so carefully and sensibly,” and it would “never sell your personally identifiable information to anyone, nor would it ever use spyware or install spyware on users’ machines.”

You can read the original section 2 of the Origin EULA here.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Phoenixblight

Evil bastards, they actually listened to customers and potential customers.

2. DSB

Nope, that part is actually pretty good. Can’t say that sort of thing ever bothered me though, there’s far greater issues with what they’re doing.

3. GrimRita

Theres nothing like the PR bullshit machine getting a story out there to get attention, then ‘doing a u-turn(ish)’ to get even more coverage. /yawn

Crap publisher, crap dd service, game over….

4. Xuchilbara

I am still confused why people are freaking out about this…

Almost every website you visit sends information to other people / universities letting them know you visited and when… If you don’t believe me, download an app called “PeerBlocker” and make it block all incoming. You will quickly find out how fast your information gets passed around.

5. thesamy

what realy can thay do with the informtion?

if u got pirate game thay publish/made can thay sue you for that?
    are that allowed to do that?
    and selling marking info shold realy hurt us?

6. GrimRita

The reason is that EA have no right to mine peoples person information without offering them a choice to accept or decline their dark shitty activity.

After all, EA are a games publisher so why they hell do they want to spy on those that purchase their products? The only reason is for marketing. I know EA spent tens of thousands trying to figure out why students in the UK switched to Pro Evo when they hit uni/later studies.

And given EAs history, they never do themselves any favours and deserve what they get. IF I purchase on of their games and I am not given an option, I will see them in court and they will lose.

7. Ireland Michael

The previous EULA probably broke a tonne of anti-privacy laws, if nothing else. Collecting your specs and software usage? Sure. Tracking your internet usage? That’s a step too far.

Anyone who is freaking out about the revised EULA needs to get a reality check though. Hardware and software monitoring like this is very common. It’s good for routing out cheaters and scanners, if nothing else.

8. Shubb9

I am still super pissed about this, I went to play some Dragon Age earlier and now apparently my EA account has morphed into an Origin account and I have to accept EA scanning my computer from top to bottom to play my game and access the DLC I have already paid for! And I don’t even have Origin installed on my PC! Bloody cheek. Fair enough to collect the basic spec of my machine and any EA software that I use log into their servers but to give ‘em carte blanche to rifle through my entire software library is taking the piss. I will not give up that amount of privacy no matter what the game, fuck ‘em and the horse they rode in on. I just hope people don’t cave and aren’t resigned to being treated like this. Refuse these terms.

9. DUFFKING

If Origin wasn’t trying to compete with Steam this wouldn’t even be news. You’ve all signed up to stuff like this without thinking about it a number of times.

10. GrimRita

@9 I think you need to read the story again. Even if Steam did what EA wanted to do originally, I would a) be pissed b) uninstall it.

What I do online, where I do etc is none of their(EA/Valves)business. System specs are fine, because it does actually help them in terms of software development.

Besides, its EA’s typical ‘we dont give a shit about customers’ approach. They simply will NEVER learn. As a result, I have already cancelled bg BF3 pre-order(mostly because Alpha was shit) and SWTWoW.

And, importantly for me, if Valve didnt show the way with Steam and proved that the PC market was NOT dead, EA wouldnt be interested in their own DD service – but clearly using Steam has shown them that there is a huge market for their tat.

11. Gurdil

@9 I’m sorry but how would you know what people sign up for and whether or not they pay attention to EULAs?

@8 Haven’t played an EA game for a while. Do you think one has to agree to update his account to play any of their games?

Back to topic, the changes are small and this EULA is still unacceptable IMO. Plus I’ve read some legal stuff like this with BS definitions of anonymity but this one is just unbelievable! How is what they describe supposed to ensure you stay anonymous?!? oO

12. Ireland Michael

“@11 I’m sorry but how would you know what people sign up for and whether or not they pay attention to EULAs?”

Because this sort of thing is in practically every single EULA ever written for anything… ever.

13. Gurdil

@12 Fortunately, it’s not. Most EULAs fuck you over, that’s a fact and I can’t argue. I’ve agreed to some of these. But this one is utterly shocking. Well no in fact the previous one was utterly shocking! This one just takes for granted that all users are dumb… It’s true that most services like this gather a lot of info and that’s why I use nearly none. It’s also true that EA keeping those info to themselves is an improvement. But words have a meaning and they shouldn’t use “anonymous” so lightly. This isn’t what they’re doing and I find that insulting.