Deus Ex launch: Square releases real-life augmentation doc

Friday, 26th August 2011 10:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

As Deus Ex: Human Revolution launches in the UK and Europe today, Square Enix has released a near 15 minute documentary on real-life augmentations. Directed by Rob ‘EYEBORG’ Spence, who lost an eye in a shotgun accident only to have an eye with a wireless camera attached, the video takes look at how far out the augmentations are today from the 2027 future that the Eidos Montreal title foretells.

You can get it below the break. Get a reviews round-up for it here.

1. HauntaVirus

The eyeball cutting at the beginning is NASTY!!!

2. Talkar

A very insightful video! I personally didn’t know we are so far in the development and research as we are. I think it is awesome!

3. Ireland Michael

@1 I had something like that done to my eyes about 20 years ago. Nothing that fancy mind, but I’ve had my eyeballs surgically pulled out of my face. I have fake lenses.

Fun stuff, let me tell you.

I’ve had a vested interest in this sort of technology for a long time, out of personal interest. There’s some pretty crazy stuff going on in this field right now. Some of it is a little scary, and it’s only going to get crazier from here.

4. KillerDD

That eye was awesome! Even though it only records on a seperate device. Your whole life is being recorded through you’re own eyes! The eye chip was a cool thing as well! Can’t imagine what it would be like to be fully blind and then see shapes because of a chip!

5. Optimaximal

What a fantastic video. Shocking to see how real life is only a few steps behind what computer games are still saying is our future.

Not sure we’re anywhere near the stage of voluntary augmentation, but it’s great to know that if we had to partake, it’s no longer ‘peg leg Pete’…

6. YoungZer0

@5: Oh we are near. We live in a time where people would actually use Plastic Surgery on their dogs.

Their. Fucking. Dogs.

The only problems i see are A.) Ethic and B.) How the body receives the Augmentations. For example in the game, people who have Augs – and their body represses them – have to take drugs. If you don’t get your drugs, you’re literally falling apart. Slowly and painfully.

7. Talkar

It doesn’t really look like the body is rejecting it on these guys ;)

And what does dogs have to do with any of this? I wouldn’t mind to voluntary have some augmentations done if we are talking Deus Ex level of augments, but i wouldn’t even consider it on my dog.

8. YoungZer0

@7: Do some research. It’s very unusual that the body doesn’t reject a new leg or arm.

People would do anything to be perfect. Or project those desires onto other things. Like a fucking dog.

9. viralshag