Ubisoft: Ghost Recon reboot due to changing shooter market

Monday, 22 August 2011 11:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Ubisoft has said it rebooted Ghost Recon because of changing conditions in the shooter genre, as well as how gamers play them.

The publisher is set to release Future Soldier next year, with a beta to come in January, the first title in the series after the successful Advanced Warfighter series: the last title in the series being 2007 in GRAW 2.

Now, it’s set to take into a “modern” era.

“What we wanted to do is when we finished working [on GRAW], we took a look at the markets, at the games that were out, the military shooters and simply, the whole thing has changed for many reasons. Competition, but also, the way players play basically” Future Soldier associate producer Thomas Leroux told VG247 at gamescom last week after a demo of the shooter behind closed doors.

“One of the things was to say, ‘We wanted to stick to the special forces fantasy, we want to stick to that near-future technology, but we want to make sure it doesn’t feel outdated with the new controls, the new ways of playing.’

“So the reboot was a way for us to make sure we stick to the route of the game in the Ghost Recon franchise, but make it a little more modern, more slick compared to the others.”

But still futuristic, right? Maybe not: Leroux told us that some of the gear in the game is actually “not that far away from existing, like five-ten years.”

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier releases in March for Xbox 360, PC and PS3.