Origin’s ToS allow for inactive account deletion

Thursday, 4th August 2011 01:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The terms of service for EA digital distribution platform Origin contain a reference to possible account deletion after two years of inactivity.

“If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use,” section 5 of the service’s user agreement terms states.

Entitlements in this context apparently refers to “paid and free downloadable content, unlockable content, digital and/or virtual assets, rights of use tied to unlock keys or codes, serial codes and/or online authentication of any kind, in-game achievements and virtual or fictional currency”, but of course, if your games are tied to your account and it gets canceled, well.

You probably don’t need to get too excited about this. Terms of service almost always include a bunch of worst-case scenario allowances that never get used and wouldn’t stand up in a court of law. For example:

“EA reserves the right to refuse your request(s) to acquire Entitlements, and EA reserves the right to limit or block any request to acquire Entitlements for any reason. We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you.”

Thanks, Shack.

1. Yoshi

And that’s exactly why I hate you…

2. Lloytron

If I haven’t played a game in 2 years, then I’m probably not going to. Having said that, if I’ve paid for it then I should damn well have the right to play it after 50 years if I want!

3. Phoenixblight

D2d uses, Onlive does the same thing. You can just log in to the service and you are good. 2 seconds entering your email and password. Its just soooooo difficult my head hurts trying to wrap around the difficulty. Its the same thing as leaving my crap at a friends house after two years and they deciding to chuck it because I failed to go get it.

4. DSB

Or they could just not delete the stuff you paid for. That shouldn’t be too hard either.

5. Phoenixblight

Yeah because they have the servers to support people that don’t care for their games enough to log in. How hard is it to freaking log in. Its not like yu are going through the airport to get your game.

6. Xuchilbara

I don’t see this as a big deal… 2 years? If I haven’t played a game in 2 years, there is a reason.

Also, its not saying it will delete the game, just the account name… And I think thats a good thing, so you dont have people named Fantus 4352245…. Plus, your Origin ID will be the same for every game through EA, so I would imagine you will be logging in whenever you play an EA game

7. ruckus

Nice spam – the little house and clouds actually cheered me up. Unlike the obvious bleak house that is our digital future. :/

/remembers ascii house: ^_^

8. JimFear-666

i have read somewhere that EA will delete your game from your account after a certain time. Which mean that if you have uninstalled the game and you wanna replay it after this time you will have to buy it again. But i dont know if it was only rumors.

9. Phoenixblight

Really that is news to me.

““If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use,” ” RIght there, the first freaking sentence.

10. hitnrun

So I can buy an “entitlement” with Origins, or a game somewhere else.

And, yes, they do “have the servers.” It takes a few Kb to track an account’s basic information and which games it has bought. And if they didn’t, that would mean they *actually intend* to wipe accounts to save space, as you suggest, making the service an absolute no-sale.

I doubt they actually would wipe after just two years, but that doesn’t make it unreasonable to demand my games – you know, the ones I bought – be available forever regardless of how often I log into a service. Modern life already involves enough time wasting red tape without having to do bookkeeping for a multibillion dollar corporation to save them some money. They’re not my friends and I don’t care about their convenience or profit margins.

11. Phoenixblight

Again if you aren’t logging in within two years they aren’t going to keep your info simple as that. People are they whinning about every single thing that people do. Takes two seconds to freaking log in. Every time you buy a game you are leasing it, you actually don’t own rights to it.

“I have to Log in WHAT?! No I am just going to bitch and moan about logging in. ” Yesh Onlive has the 2 year term where they delete your account if you don’t log in and they also only lease the game for 3 years. YOu pay 60$ for 3 years. Direct 2 Drive does the 2 year to log in as well.

SO if you want to keep your shit safe buy physical media thats your only way. Even that will eventually be phased out.

12. DarkElfa

OMFG Phoenix, get out of Origin’s asshole, yes, we get it, you’re Origin’s #1 white knight, you’ve been defending Origin like it was your creation ever since the first negative word was said against it on this site.

13. GrimRita

EA really arent doing themselves any favours with its ‘new’ DD service. First they piss gamers off by removing their games from Steam (Yes it IS their fault), then forcing Origins on the gaming market, followed up with this crap.

I’ve some games that I havent played for years but its great to reinstall them, especially during quiet release periods – I still play Empire at War(2006), World In Conflict(2007) for example and its great that Steam will still let me download and install them when I want.

@11 If you paid in full for a car then for whatever reason you dont drive it for 2 years and the day you want to drive it, you find its been taken away – you wouldnt be happy?

It’s this kind of behaviour from EA that will see more of their games just get pirated. EA are walking a dangerous path and let me state it now, if EA ever take a game away from me, I WILL see them in court…

14. Yoshi

@3 It might not be difficult but it’s an extremely annoying inconvenience.

It’s not like they would be losing that much money or anything, oohh a little server space to store files of remember an account and its content O.M.G…

15. Phoenixblight

Why do people always make video games into a car metaphor. Yes if you left a car in a single place it would be taken away because people would assume its stolen or the owner doesn’t care about it so they would call the cops or have a tow truck come to get it and the owner would have to pay for it. Or you might even be lucky enough for someone to steal it because the thief noticed no one has driven it for 2 years.

“Now STFU already, no matter how much you defend it, EA still isn’t going to send you any damned cookies.”

Actually they did its called my scholarship for my program.

16. fan6

“Which basically means EA can cut you off from your purchases whenever it feels like it – which it will almost certainly never do unprovoked. Still, if you’ve jumped on board the EA train, you may want to remember to check in with your purchases once every two years.”

Steam’s Terms also state that they can cancel your account for any reason they feel like, nobody’s complaining about that

17. viralshag

I love Origin and EA stories. People get so worked up about it.

@12, To be fair, he isn’t really “defending” Origin here, just pointing out that it really isn’t a big deal to log in to a service every now and then. I would agree with him, I find it amazing how PC gamers get so inconvenienced over… well, everything it seems. It’s a few clicks and some typing…

@13, The car thing doesn’t work, you’re paying full price for the game but you don’t own it. It’s the same for most online distributors. Steam and Origin are both “subscriptions” in which you could lose your account, or what you have “bought” at any time with no guarantee of being able to use it.

Like the article said, they have to cover themselves for all the “worst case scenarios.” Digital “ownership” seems to be a really dodgy subject, I am starting to think it is better to just get physical media.

18. DSB

@5 EA has supposedly shot down the story, but you’d have to be pretty naive to even consider an excuse that stupid :P

Storing a bit of information on a server is hardly a major drain on any kind of business. Which EA has essentially just confirmed themselves.

Do fanboys get a discount on Origin by any chance?

@17 One of the primary reasons why digital is essentially eradicating the brick and mortar market is convenience.

Generally you’ll be able to get a game far cheaper from a mailorder, but for most people it just isn’t worth it, compared to having a game online, whenever you need it, no matter when that might be. And whenever you do, it will be fully updated.

You’re certainly welcome to scoff at convenience, but essentially it means absolutely everything for digital delivery. That’s why these services constitute the biggest reduction in piracy in the last two decades, and why Steam has come out on top. Have you tried finding a friend on Impulse? That’s pain.

19. OlderGamer

Well because some of you love to sit behind your monitors and make people feel two inches tall, because you always think you have stuff figured out.

Let me ask you simply:

What if your in the military and deployed?

Of course I can think of other reasons too, but the point I am making is just because something is no big deal for YOU, doesn’t mean that someone else feels the same way you do.

2 years seems reasonable to me, but it also seems reasonable to me to not allow it to expire at all. We are talking about a very small amount of data storage. Not like they are storing your entire game libary(installed) server side. Just your account credentials and what liscences your have.

20. Fin

Eh? Tours rarely extend past 18 months (average < 12).

Don't see what the fuss is – you'll lose your Gmail account if you don't log in for nine months. Think it's six months with MSN. Twenty-four months is aaages.

But at the end of this day, it's really Origin bad Steam good.

21. DSB

An email account is active 24/7, the same can hardly be said for a store account that isn’t being used.

Not to mention the fact that e-mail services generally aren’t profitable to begin with, but with a store you actually have a reason to keep people around.

22. OlderGamer

@fin

I know people that have gone over two years. Rotations keep getting longer and longer for some :(

23. viralshag

@18, I can’t say I have tried finding a friend on Impulse; mainly because I’ve never used it because I have Steam. Digital purchases certainly are more convenient and I never buy any PC games in-store these days. I’m not sure where I even questioned the convenience of buying digital, I just don’t see the great inconvenience of having to log into a service once in a while.

24. TVs Everywhere

People saying nobody should ever be inconvenienced by this are just stupid. There’s countless reasons why people wouldn’t log into their account for four years, and nobody has any right to deny them any game they’ve already paid for just because they haven’t logged in their account in 2 years. And really, two years isn’t that much at all. 2 years is 2009. Go try and think to yourself what games you haven’t played in 2009. Are those games sitting unplayed because you didn’t like them? Of course not. They’re probably games you finished and liked very much. You’re saying nobody will ever be able to go back to older games they liked and re-play them after a few years?

Stop kissing EA’s ass, people. This is a terrible policy and shouldn’t be accepted or encouraged. People not logging into a service for 2 years isn’t the problem, it’s EA trying to delete people’s accounts after that amount of time. No other company does that and nobody SHOULD do that.

25. revolting

People appear to be blissfully ignoring the wording of the (admittedly quite leading) article in their EA is Evil furor, and mis-reading this as “EA is going to delete your games if you don’t touch them often enough, or even whenever they feel like like it.”

While I’m not a fan of many of EA’s actions, this is not at all what they are saying here. This quite clearly says your ACCOUNT needs to be active, not individual games. So, effectively, every time you do anything in your account, it keeps all your content active. As long as you’re doing some thing in there, even if it’s just log in to change your password, you’re keeping your account and all associated content active. Not just the game you are playing right now. As long as your account is active, you’re good.

“People not logging into a service for 2 years isn’t the problem, it’s EA trying to delete people’s accounts after that amount of time. No other company does that and nobody SHOULD do that.”

This is so blissfully ignorant it’s unreal. Dead account purges happen all the time in many businesses. Do you seriously think organisations have unlimited capacity to store information on everyone who is no longer using their services, as well as those who are active customers? Of course not. Clearing out abandoned accounts after x years of complete inactivity is standard practice. The key words here are “dead account” and “complete inactivity”. Nobody is going to lose anything if they have an active account.