Sony Q1: PS3 hardware slumps, software rises slightly

Thursday, 28th July 2011 07:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Sony’s posted its results for the quarter ending June 30, showing PlayStation 3 sales significantly down for the period, from 2.4 million in FY2010 to 1.8 million in the current financial year.

The new hardware figure puts global PS3 sales at 51.8 million.

Xbox 360 sales currently stand at 55 million units. EEDAR claimed recently that PS3 has sold 10 percent more than 360 in the first six months of this year worldwide.

The company’s PlayStation 3 hardware sales estimate for FY11 remained at 15 million units. The machine sold 14.3 million units in the last financial year.

PS3 software was up to 26.1 million units from 24.8 million in the year prior.

PSP hardware was up for the quarter, at 1.8 million units this year compared to 1.2 million in Q1 2010. PSP software dropped heavily, however, down to 6.6 million units from 9.2 million last year.

PlayStation 2 continued its decline, down to 1.4 million consoles sold in the quarter compared to 1.6 million in the year prior. PS2 software sales cratered, down from 3.4 million last year to 1.5 million in 2011.

You can see the entire report here.

1. DarkElfa

I guess everyone that wanted a Blu-Ray toaster already bought one.

Now that’s how you super troll baby!

I kibbutz, I kid.

2. Lounds

PS2 still lives, now thats how you get a 10 year cycle.

3. Christopher Jack

@2, & That’s Sony’s plan with the PS3. Just because they plan on manufacturing the console for 10+ years, doesn’t mean they won’t start producing a new in the mean time. I’m expecting a new & slimmer hardware design by the end of this year & the announcement of the PS4 by E3 next year, no way will Sony & MS allow us to believe that the Wii U won’t have any direct competition before it’s launch.

4. DrDamn

PS3 needs another price cut, it’s currently too expensive for consumers sat next to a 360.

5. Christopher Jack

@4, Which is why I mentioned a new hardware design, which can be cheaper & more efficient, I bought my PS3 from a friend for $350 AUD & replaced the HDD with a 320GB one for $50 mere months before the slim was announced.

6. Patrick Garratt

It’ll be cut again at gamescom. Looks as though we’re over the hump of this gen now.

7. Blerk

Blimey, I really didn’t expect that. Price cuts ahoy, then.

8. Grooski

Woah, PSP outshipped the 360 for the quarter despite MS giving away free units? Industry is going to hell in a hand basket…

9. typeface

Hardware sales down during the second quarter? Expected. I mean come on there was no PSN between April and May. SCE’s cred took a massive beating. Do you really think people would be buying that console in that period? Unlikely.
    This quarter should be back to normal really. It just shows that most people do not buy the console to do whatever they want with it but rather buy the console to play legitimately. Yes there are those who like to pirate games but most purchasing a device aren’t for that.
    Software sales climbing up (by a bit more than 5%) is interesting.

10. strikkebil

ps3 has way better exclusive software than 360. it also got a totally passable online service, thats FREE. y doesnt the system sell? might b cos ppl see ps3 as joke, or it might b the price. i think its a combination of both. hopefully sony will learn from this gen and get their shit togheter on the hardware side til ps4.

11. Lounds

To be honest the only game I’m going to buy brand new is Uncharted 3, everything else is 2nd hand. Why should I pay £40 for a game, I spend no more than £15 max on games.

12. Tech-N9ne

The Xbox & Xbox Live experience is unmatched by the PS3. The PS3 might have better hardware, free online and more exclusives but the entire experience and usability sucks balls, from the UI to PSN store to configuring the darn thing. Its like everything I put on my PS3 for a quick 30 min game break its gotta spend that 30 mins doing some system update, my PS3 practically takes up all my router ports just to get proper connection for online, most of the exclusive to me are just meh, if not for Uncharted i’d have sold that console long time ago.

13. Gadzooks!

#12

Was the same for me. Terrible experience using the machine and truly dissapointed with the so-called amazing exclusives.

I cut that turd loose for a new 360 slim, wish I had never wasted money on the PS3 really. Live and learn though…

14. Christopher Jack

@13, I feel the complete opposite, the only thing I prefer about the 360 is party chat.
    There’s no possible way to justify the rrp of a Gold sub, you can keep telling yourself otherwise but it’s just not true.
    I do enjoy Halo: Reach & the only reason I have Gold now is because I got it for $2 through XBL but the dicks forced me into auto-renewal which I had to fucking call up to cancel =\

15. Gekidami

^ Why are you responding to that troll?

16. Gadzooks!

#14

You might not get value from XBL Gold but its worth every penny and more to active community gamers, not to mention gamers who like speed, reliability and security.

PSN is a poundland network and it shows.

17. OlderGamer

Between this and the 3DS sales failing(looking forward to Vita sales), I really think the underlying themes here too expensive and repetitive same same of the game experiences.

I knew it sounds like a broken record, but the industry needs fresh ideas, inovative games, and it needs to be a hella lot cheaper both in terms of hardware and software.

I know it paints me as part of the problem, and its true, but I just bought NCAA Football 12 from EA on my xbox360. The game was 60usd, and I bought 25usd dayone DLC. So 85usd total dayone on a game that I have been playing scince PSone.

I enjoy the game, but too many games do this. From big name franchises like EA sports to Actis CoD, Dices BF to Bungies Halo, Gorza, GT, Need For Speed, and so on and so on. Recycled game play experiences, expensive retail prices followed by over priced DLC.

Sure I bought NCAA12, but I won’t do that for everygame I have ever played. Franchise fatigue and all. I think it is a real problem holding back and stifling software sales growth.

Hardware is simple, its just too expensive. Regaurdless of the precieved increase in value packed into the retail package(think “free games” or Kinect/Move bundles) its still too expensive. You could offer a person a lambuorgeni for 100usd, and if the person didn’t have 100usd to spare it still wouldn’t be a deal.

Just lower the price of xbox360 and PS3 to 99usd for a lower HDD model and 149usd for a larger hdd model. Or better yet screw multi skus and put one model out at one fair price.

Everyone pokes fun at WiiU for “next gen” but if by the time Sony/MS put out their new systems if Nintendo can price WiiU at sub 2000usd, the new PS/xb are gonna look staggerinly overpriced.

Anyone wanna guess at their prices? 500usd? 600usd, or 700usd? 60usd games? 80usd? 100usd?

I think price is the biggest reason this gen drags on. Putting out a powerful enough new system that can outshine the current ones at a price point people won’t laugh at is no easy task.

18. Ge0force

I think there are two obvious reasons why the PS3 sold less in Q1 2011:

- PSN-gate
    - No system sellers

But that doesn’t mean sales are bad. 51.8 million is a better result than I expected, since Microsoft has so much better marketing and is way more mainstream (and since Kinect: casual) focused.

#16: PSN allows me to play lag-free online games with my friends, with all the functions I need (voice-chat, invites etc..) and without any kind of paying subscription. In my opinion, p2p-gaming does NOT work better when you pay for it.

19. Gadzooks!

Fair points OG, but cheap innovative gaming is already catered for through the likes of XBLA and XBLIG.

Blockbuster franchises will never go away, but there are always alternatives and frankly there has never been so much choice as there is now.

20. OlderGamer

Agreed about XBLA and XBLIG type games. I know a lot of people, myself included, that buy most of their games from said ilk. I am down to buying 2-4retail games a year. I used to buy that a month.