Heavy global 3DS price cut confirmed as sales stiff

Thursday, 28th July 2011 09:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Nintendo has confirmed that 3DS will drop from $249 to $169.99 in the US on August 12, and to ¥15,000 in Japan on August 11, down from its current ¥25,000.

The 3DS price cut

Down from $250 to $170 in the US on August 12.

Down from AU$350 to AU$250 in Australia on August 12.

Down from ¥25,000 to ¥15,000 in Japan on August 11.

3DS will be cut “by around a third” in Europe on August 12, but no specific price confirmed yet.

The “Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programme” will give owners of the full-price hardware 10 NES games and 10 Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games for free.

3DS released in February in Japan, and in March in the US and Europe.

Nintendo said this morning that 3DS will drop in Europe on August 12, but has declined to offer a fixed price.

“I can confirm that Nintendo of Europe will be reducing the European trade price of Nintendo 3DS to retailers by around a third from August 12 2011, as part of a global trade price reduction initiative,” a rep told VG247 this morning.

“The ultimate price to consumers is, of course, determined by retailers, however we look forward to consumers benefiting from much lower retail prices very soon.”

The Australian 3DS will drop from AU $349.95 to AU$249.95 on August 12.

The current quarter, as promised earlier this morning, will see the price of the machine reduced globally.

Nintendo has declined to confirm a figure on the European reduction as yet.

The company is said to be incurring a loss on 3DS units sold at the new price point.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime.

“We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

3DS released this February in Japan and this March in the US and Europe.

Nintendo is launching an Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programme to consumers who have purchased the Nintendo 3DS at the “original launch price” in all of the cut territories, meaning you’ll be able to get 10 NES games and 10 Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games for free if you connect to the Nintendo eShop before the August 12.

“The free software will then be made available at a later stage,” said NoE. “More details on the programme will be announced on the Nintendo of Europe website shortly.”

In the US and Australia, 3DS “ambassadorial” status grants you access to 10 free NES Virtual Console games on September 1 before their general release, including The Legend of Zelda, Balloon Fight and Ice Climber, and 10 more Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games.

The GBA games – like Yoshi’s Island, Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames and Mario vs. Donkey Kong – will not be available to anyone else.

Q1 figures show 3DS trouble

Nintendo’s first quarter figures this morning were the precursor to the cut announcement. 3DS hardware sold a mere 0.71 million units in the three months ending June 30, while 3DS software moved 4.53 million units in the period.

Wii U remained listed as a 2012 release.

Wii hardware sales fell dramatically in the quarter, down from 3.04 million in FY 2010 to 1.56 million units this year, while Wii software sold 13.44 milllion units in the quarter.

DS hardware sold 1.44 million units in the period, heavily down from 3.15 million last year. There were 12.44 million pieces of DS software sold in the quarter.

Net sales were down from ¥189 billion last year to ¥94 billion for the period.

Nintendo is still making a loss, with the deficit stuck at ¥25.5 billion compared to ¥25.2 billion a year ago.

1. Blerk

Holy shit, that’s LOADS more than I was expecting! They must be panicking! :shock:

2. GrimRita

Thank god that their bubble has finally burst and people are waking up to fact that all their products are over priced tat

3. Blerk

I guess it’s a lesson in not launching an expensive handheld with no compelling software at a quiet time of year when everyone’s moved on to iPhones.

Or something.

4. naffgeek

What about uk? Are they going to try and squeeze a bit more out of us suckers before they drop the price?

Also I’d be gutted if I’d just bought one because of Zelda!!!

5. Patrick Garratt

Euro statement added.

6. The Evil Pope

Nintendo has finally woken up. I still won’t buy the system though until the region-locking is removed or the system gets hacked.

7. Christopher Jack

Sorry Ninty, seems as if Sony is still offering better value for money with the PSV.

8. 7bitarcade

If the price drop is significan enough, then yes, this is a definite purchase. However, could this be a knee jerk reaction to the impending Vita.

9. Blerk

Sony must be bricking it as well. Vita’s far from a guaranteed success – it’s facing all of the same barriers as the 3DS without Nintendo’s brand name to fall back on. I’ve got a feeling it’ll stiff.

10. Patrick Garratt

Details of the free games offered to owners of the full-price console added.

11. Crab of Thunder

Feel sorry for anyone who bought it at the full whack now :P, this is more like what its worth, though It doesn’t attract me at all.

Edit: oh free games, that makes up for it a bit i guess.

12. Fin

Didn’t Nintendo price the 3DS higher than originally planned because of the good reaction at E3 ’10?

Coming back to bite them now.

Mario Kart Super Circuit and WarioWare? Them’s some quality GBA games.

13. Blerk

“Free” games? Didn’t they cost you $80? :-D

14. locus2k1

I hear Nintendo are also offering 10 free NES games and 10 free Game Boy/GBC Games for those who have already purchased a 3DS and have gone onto the eshop before 12th of August; it sounds very much like what Microsoft did with he original Xbox. Its is good to see that they are thinking of consumers who had already bought one :)

EDIT: its GBA, not GBC

15. frostquake

Simply put..New Hardware:Yes New Software for that Hardware:No

As long as Vita has a great software lineup they should be fine! If not, then they will face palm like 3DS…Glad I cancelled my Pre-Buy! I’ve been waiting for a robust library before buying the 3DS..guess what..I am still waiting!

16. locus2k1

@#13 for people like me who purchased it day one I guess you can look at it that way… but considering a lot of stores sell it at around £150-160 already wouldn’t they (the consumer) be getting them for free now :D

17. matirishhh

I was going to buy one last week, just for the Ocarina, I’m so glad that I decided to “stay on the fence”. In Poland You can get those for £150 right now, by the the time when the price drops further by 1/3 it may be at £100?
    That would be a fantastaic price to get them for

18. Blerk

I wonder if the shops will drop the price immediately?

19. Erthazus

Not worth a penny.

There are only crappy games in development. Old remakes and GBA shit is not for me, because i played them.

Playstation VITA on the other hand have a bit better software, but again, it depends on the launch thing. 3DS had an amazing launch line up at E3 too, but in the end it sucked huge ass.

@blerk, they actually dropped the price long time ago. It was just a quiet price drop to be honest.

20. AHA-Lambda

HOLY SHIT BOMBA!!!

what this thing has been out like 3 months and price drop? wow!! at elast i might buy one now! XD

21. typeface

Games stopped being devved for the device, prices too high, not enough games. It’s like the launch year of the PS3 for them in all honesty.
    We’ll see what happens. But a price drop and a few games should definitely help. Though August. I dunno it should work with the non-gaming enthusiast. For the gaming enthusiast who owns a good PC and all the consoles there’s far too many games coming out between mid August and November and not much of a break. I think the issue is that 3D is not a good USP and there just weren’t enough good titles to begin with.

Also a price cut would’ve been better in October. The enthusiast market won’t really be buying into it yet and the casual market well Christmas shopping begins Octoberish which is a great time to do that plus the current marketing campaign (the new ad in the UK isn’t bad honestly, sure it’s all hyped rubbish but it’s an ad that works for their audience and tells them how it’s different from the DS family which it had an issue with till now).

It should do well eventually.

22. rrw

@9 nah, i expect sony already think 3DS price drop is possible. hardly surprising for anyone

beside the price is reasonable for the device like Vita

23. AHA-Lambda

aww some of those free games are exclusives to the adopters =(

bye bye metroid fusion ;_;

24. Blerk

@22, I don’t mean they’re bricking it because the 3DS is now cheaper, I mean they’re bricking it because the 3DS didn’t sell in the first place. I don’t think the price of the hardware is the problem.

25. viralshag

I bought one at launch and that was only because some manager dude from GAME offered me a full refund if I brought it back within 30 days.

So I played Pokemon a bit and Ridge Racer as there wasn’t really anything else decent at the time. It was about a week and 7 or 8 hours’ worth of playing with it before I took it back.

I wasn’t amazingly impressed tbh. I do think Sony will offer something a bit more new and creative that will grab some attention. It literally is a DS… with 3D… and that’s it. The 3D is not that great either. I would rather spend a lot less and get an older DS and play through the back catalogue.

26. Mike

GRAMMAR PEDANT ALERT: Is “stiff” a verb?

27. Blerk

28. Blerk

Well… a slang verb. :-D

29. Mike

Noun, adjective – no verb. “stiffen”, innit. ;)

30. Patrick Garratt

It’s a verb if I want it to be.

31. Blerk

Collins list it as a verb, although they do tag it as ‘mainly US’.

32. Patrick Garratt

And “stiffen” wouldn’t make any sense.

33. Patrick Garratt

OVERRULED.

34. Clupula

Wow, Nintendo must be shitting their pants at the prospect of the Vita if they’re lowering their price this much. I knew the 3DS wasn’t doing that great, but I didn’t know it was THAT much of a flop. Even though I doubt it will happen, I’d be amused to see what happens if Sony matched them on price again, come the Vita launch.

35. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s a verb, as in “I got stiffed.”

For me, the price-drop isn’t so amazing, but the amount by which it’s dropped is incredible. If they can cut 40% off the price of the hardware, it means that they were really pissing in their customers faces up until now. More than anything else, it betrays how much they were taking the piss with the previous price-tag. Next thing they need is to drop the price of the games by 5 or 10 bucks per game. IMO.

36. manamana

Overpriced, poor launch catalogue and overrated technology. Plus a superb competitor handheld on the horizon. Everything went wrong, but holy mother earth! That pricedrop is a historical one for real!

37. Telepathic.Geometry

Don’t know if the ‘superb’ competitor is gonna do any better to be honest, especially in the face of this price drop, a lot of quality 3DS software turning up in time for holiday and iPad/iPhone/Android doing chip damage to the entire traditional handheld industry at an increasingly significant rate.

38. ManuOtaku

Well i think this is a wake up call to all the handled manufactures out there, now the competition is not between sony, nintendo and the traditional ones, is against Pads/smartPhone/Androids and the likes, i only hope this doesnt mean in the long term the end of the handled gaming by core gaming manufactures, therefore good luck nintendo with the 3ds and good luck sony with vita, you will need our very best wishes

39. Mike

Not a verb. You can’t stiff something.

He stiffs it. You stiff it. – Can’t be done.

…and “getting stiffed” is slang.

I win.

40. Mike

Verb 1. stiffen – become stiff or stiffer; “He stiffened when he saw his boss enter the room”
    change – undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one’s or its original nature; “She changed completely as she grew older”; “The weather changed last night”
    rigidify – become rigid; “The body rigidified”
    relax, loose, loosen – become loose or looser or less tight; “The noose loosened”; “the rope relaxed”

Would work fine, imo.

Anyway. I’m glad no-one’s buying it, and I hope people continue not to buy it.

“Rebuy all your old games in 3D!!!!!!!

41. Telepathic.Geometry

Slang is just English that the dictionary hasn’t caught up with yet and therefore is valid, and therefore *I* win! :p

42. Patrick Garratt

It literally is a verb. It’s in use as a verb. There’s only one winner, here, bucko, and that’s my amazing headline.

43. Telepathic.Geometry

/subliminal/ (…and also TG.)

44. stockops3

Luckily i got my £150 brand new so i get the free games, good deal though, bad for nintendo, but cant wait for Tales of the Abyss, One Piece 3DS, Starfox, Sonic Generations, MGS etc… :D

45. Mike

Go stiff yourselves!

;)

46. ManuOtaku

seeing This trend, makes me picture Ashton Cusher saying the unfamous words “You got Stiffed”

47. manamana

@37 Using my iPhone and especially my iPad permanently for games and other stuff means something – at least my PSP and DSi are rarely in use. I said superb competitor, because the technical specs and games in developement are very promising, at least for real gamers. Because, like it or not, ninty has nothing worth playing (albeit Zelda OoT-remake) at this time.

And to be perfectly clear, the games on iOS are a nice alternation but simply not deep enough to rival say Uncharted. Cave’s shooter are my favorites as an example, short, fast and perfectly controllable on iPad. Despite a minor graphics update the 3DS is not the big gun I hoped it to be. The 3D is not the killer feature everyone thought of, after E3. So yes the PSV is a superb competitor from its technical perpective and the games/3rd parties on horizon for it. We will see if it will sell well at 249€ – I do think everything above 200€ is having a hard time, though. But christmastime/holiday season launch will do better than the failed late 3DS attempt after new year…

48. manamana

Cliffster ‘the stiffster’ Bleszinsky anyone?!

49. dreamcastnews

I’m a Nintendo fan, yet I don’t have a 3DS…. I think the 3D is pretty gash to be honest, the power of the machine is very good. Playing Dead or Alive shows how fluid the graphics on the machine can be but I feel the most under-rated feature is the camera!

Imagine a Pokemon game that came with a random card in every copy this card could then be scanned into the game and could generate a rare of common Pokemon character, or Animal Crossing having a random peice of furniture scanned into the game – now that’s the angle they should have gone with.

If it’s £100 in the UK I’ll pick one up with Zelda & DOA whilst waiting for Mario & MGS but anymore would be a hard sell for most.

For now Nintendo, i’d keep the DSi/XL stocked up with games as you’re going to need that audience to keep your shareholders from losing confidence…