XBLA game prices have gone up, folks still buying

Saturday, 23rd July 2011 19:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has admitted that prices for Xbox Live Arcade games have climbed “over the last few years,” and despite this, people are still purchasing the content.

According to XBLA portfolio director Chris Charla, speaking with GI.biz, the fact folks are still buying despite the price increase, prove consumers are willing to pay for quality products.

“If you look at Live Arcade, and do the math, and look at the publicly available sales numbers, you can see that average prices on XBLA have crept up over the last few years, which has been an interesting trend because on some app markets there’s been a race to zero as fast as possible,” he said.

“We’ve seen a little bit of the opposite happening. I don’t really know where prices are going to go – ultimately, that’s set by the market – but it has been really gratifying to see that people are willing to pay a premium price for digital content.

“Sometimes, when [developers] talk about Live Arcade they’re like, ‘We want to do a boxed quality game on Live Arcade’, and I’m like, ‘What does that mean?’ I can point at a bunch of 38 and 42 and 56 metacritic scoring boxed games, so it actually kind of pisses me off. I think the games that we’re shipping – a Limbo or a Castle Crashers – are as good as anything on the market.”

According to GI.biz, in 2009, 21 of the 86 offerings were prices at 1200 Microsoft Points. By 2010, 27 out of 85 games were offered at that price.

In 2011, 20 games have been confirmed to be priced at 1200 points, with a “number of significant releases due before the end of the year.”

1. freedoms_stain

I have only ever paid full price for a piece of content on xbox live once, take from that what you will.

2. drewbles82

I always wait for Deal of the week, never buy any game full price, yeah i might have to wait but I can get twice as many games then.

3. Aimless

I don’t really sweat the prices for XBLA games, I just make sure to pick up the actual Microsoft Points on the cheap: it’s pretty common to find ways of cutting a third off the RRP.

4. polygem

they are slightly overpriced already. some arcade titles are really worth the cash – most aren´t. map packs and other dlc, movies and most games on demand are just too expensive…i mean 69,99 euro for a digital copy of black ops??? 49,99 wouldn´t hurt anyone and would be more fair. i can pick up a brandnew copy of the game for 50 euro and can always sell it again if i want to. digital content just needs to be cheaper than retail. noone should buy it at thoses price tags. i must admit that i do it as well anyway sometimes- it makes me feel guilty- it´s just not priced fair imo

5. drewbles82

exactly, digital content needs to be cheaper than retail in order to push people in digital more. Plus they should be, as they arent covering any costs of store etc.
    The thing annoys me the most is Map packs, far to expensive, and cuz theres a new game out every yr, for someone who doesnt play these shooters every night, its not worth getting at all. If you wait til they cheap, the new game is out a week later.
    Make them like Rock band tracks and have an export feature, id be willing to pay for that.

6. Kuwabara

just paid $12 for limbo, but its too short to be worth the price tag..

7. Christopher Jack

@5, Exactly, They instantly cut out the manufacturing/shipping of disks, cases, covers & manuals, then you have got the retailers who also want to make profit but they also need to pay for operating costs on both the store & it’s employees.

If we went all digital, it would be a huge boost for the entire Gaming industry, no more crunch time because can get away with selling games as on-going services rather than products, not saying I’d want all digital right now, just that it would be nice to have the option that Sony & MS (not going to even bother mentioning Nintendo) neglect it so they can do what ever the hell they want.