Durkin: Xbox 360′s first-party titles are “superior to our competition’s”

Saturday, 16th July 2011 20:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Speaking with IndustryGamers, Durkin said the firm’s first-party developers even “pushed our platform team to build a better platform.”

“Certainly we think first party is an important tool and you can’t dispute titles like Forza, which has consistently come out on a repeated cadence and sold multi-million units,” he said. “You can’t dispute things like Fable, which again, on a very consistent pace, has come out and sold 2 and 3 million units a pop.

“And now new titles, like Kinect Sports, which has come out and sold over 3 million units. So we are, not only building existing IP and incubating around titles like Halo and others, but really building new IP in new areas. And that’s going to be core to us… to build those experiences and monetize those.

“Our first party team really pushed our platform team to build a better platform. So a lot of those experiences, those new entertainment experiences, actually look a lot like gaming experiences in terms of how the functionality and the interactivity actually works.

“And so first party has multiple roles in terms of our ecosystem, in terms of driving platform-exclusives, but also communicating to partners what’s important.”

When comparing Metacritic ratings of first-party development studios, MGS has a rating of 75 compared to Nintendo’s 77 , SCEE/SCEI’s 74 and SCEA’s 73.

[pic]

1. onlineatron

Forza, Halo, Banjo, Viva Pinata, Fable; Kinect Sports, Adventures. Those are what I can think of, any body care to help with the rest?

There are some great titles there (I’m a sucker for Fable II), but I think I prefer a quite a few more Sony 1st party games. Uncharted alone sees to that.

2. Erthazus

“Xbox CFO Dennis Durkin believes Microsoft Game Studios’ system is “superior” to Sony or Nintendo, due to the first party performance “in terms of quality bars and units per title.”

oh yeah…. OHHH yeahh… Go F. yourself son. Your First Party sucks so much ass that i can’t even remember a major publisher that have worse 1st party then yours in terms of casual, core consle titles or hardcore titles.

your first party is basically Gears Of War 2-3 (that is owned by Epic Games and it’s a second party), FORZA (one really good franchise from 1st party), well Halo for some kids who never played good games and Fable that is in the end casual Action adventure title by Molyneux.
    Everything else sucks ass or forgotten.

3. Fin

I’m just wondering, is there anything about the games industry you don’t complain about?

4. Asterixx

I own a 360 and even I know that’s not true. Halo and Fable are in both cases just the flogging of a dead horse and Kinect Sports Adventures and Viva Pinata are both crap. Forza does shit all over GT but aside from that I much prefer Sony’s lineup of first party titles.

5. minxamo

What do you expect him to say?

6. Lewis247

Say whatever you want about halo but it is far superior to killzone or Resistance. I mean that is just a given.

Forza wipes the floor with gt. 4 was an over hyped joy ride.

Gears of war is amazing, no real details needed.

Fable I will admit has gone down hill so bad. Maybe if they had made a decent sequel to the first then it would of worked but 2 and 3 are horrendous.

Uncharted is pretty much the only good thing sony has. I just can’t speak more highly of that series.

Ratchet and clank was good back in the day but they should have left it at that. That’s why I have better memories of Jak and Daxter.

How can I forget MGS. One of my most highly rated franchises of all time. 2 has to be one of my favorite games of all time, I remember after getting a ps2 bundled with it and playing it for hours and hours that same day. Totally amazing. 3 was outstanding too but preferred 2. 4 is a marvelous game too.

7. DSB

Jak and Daxter got pretty crap towards the end in my opinion. The first game was second to none though.

A fun thing to consider is that people would probably be buying both Killzone and Halo if they were cross platform titles, as well as Gran Turismo and Forza. I sure as hell would.

People are just desperately clinging to one or the other in order to justify their console purchase.

8. poopoofruits

Lewis247 you disappoint me, a lot.

9. AJacks92

Metal Gear Solid, Killzone, Uncharted, inFamous, and a crapload of PS2 exclusives. Oh wait…360 article? Sorry, had things mixed up (or right). I thought the article was titled “PS3′s first-party titles are “superior to our competition’s”"…

Trolololo

10. Lewis247

@8 It’s disappoints me that I disappointed you.

11. Razor

Dear oh dear oh dear. I know the guy is meant to be partisan, but seriously. This is beyond embarrassing.

12. DaMan

Ever since this gen started (and even at the end of the previous one) I ‘ve completely lost interest in Sony’s portfolio, through the years they’ve dropped pretty much all decent titles, and the new ones they introduced I have zero intention of playing, much like I have zero intention of experiencing the tediousness of Crackdown or the unbalanced crap that were Gears, especially the second one.

13. revsouly

Don’t leave out Sony’s God of War.

14. Shonak

Aw, who cares anyway. Multiplatform is more important anyway. However, their XBLA line-up is really great, thats for sure.

15. Dannybuoy

what a steaming pile of turd

16. KL

@14 bollocks.I own a Wii just for their first party line up.Zelda,Mario,Metroid
    anyone believing this are just kidding themselves.First party titles distinguish one console from another

17. TikiSadZombie

2 Questions…
    1.Son, are you smoking green? (No, I think is something with much more effect…)
    2.Does he even believe the crap he says?

18. Chino86

19. Fin

Back on topic:

BREAKING NEWS: SPOKESMAN FOR COMPANY CLAIMS HIS COMPANY IS BETTER THAN COMPETING COMPANY

COMING UP: PEOPLE ON COMMENTS GET ANNOYED BECAUSE THEY COMPANY SPOKESMAN’S VIEWS ARE NOT THE SAME AS THEIR OWN

20. Ge0force

Metacritic score based on thousands of reviews say otherwise.

21. OlderGamer

Nintendo has the best first party/inhouse exclusives. Period.

In my opinion, it is wdily excepted that Sonys exclsuives > then MS ones, yet MS ones sell better. And as much as it may make some cringe, I don’t play or enjoy Uncharted, God Of War, GT, Resistance, Infamous or Killzone. They just don’t scream “play me”, instead they whisper “nothing to see here, move along”.

Forwhat it is worth, and that is admitidly nothing much, I have at least enjoyed a small amount of the xb360 exclusive line up.

Shonark was right on two accounts. Todays world is about multiplatform anyways. And the offerings from XBLA are steller – tho much of the XBLA stuff is also on PC/Steam and some of it is even on PS3 as well.

22. YoungZer0

Nah, not really.

So far i have to say i’m very pleased with Sony, not Microsoft.

I played Gears once and lost interest half way through. Although i played coop with a friend. The chainsawing was awesome. Everything else, not so much. Couldn’t bring myself to care for story and characters.

The weapon handling, i don’t know, just feels very unsatisfying. I remember giving the second one a try, but stopped when i had to go through a tunnel. Just can’t get myself to care.

Halo … yeah, what happened to that Franchise? Played Halo Reach, only for Singleplayer because A.) Multiplayer mostly on PC and B.) I’d never pay for playing online. So no Gold Membership or whatever.

The Singleplayer was a joke. The story could have been interesting but wasn’t. Bungie tried to add some depth to the crew but failed miserably, since their previous work includes 2-Dimensional characters like Master Chief. There was no option for me to unlock better items, since it would take forever in Singleplayer.

So … yeah fail Bungie, big fail. Why even bother making Singleplayer? I don’t know.

Had way more fun with Killzone 2 and 3. Superior Art-Direction in every way. Wouldn’t say better story, but definitely much more interesting. Weapons felt great, had great sound and i loved the handling in the second one. Halo had no such thing. Shiny aliens, stupid looking armor that makes no sense whatsoever.

Fable … Yeah, let’s not talk about that.

How people can enjoy boring shit like Forza is beyond my comprehension. Just played another round of Motorstorm Apocalypse, which was a fucking Blast! You won’t get that in Forza, that’s for sure.

So … pff, let me think … i think that’s all the franchises Microsoft has.

23. Shonak

@16: well, I don’t own a wii because I never felt the urge to buy play these games again – and yes, for me it’s basically re-playing old classics (as wrong as that might be). Big N shows with Wii U that they want the multiplat-support, however question is for how long? I myself really don’t care about exclusives that much.

@22: Hm, sure, characters were not really good in Reach, but then again it’s a fps, however I thought it was in terms of level design, AI, general plot and well the overall gameplay very, very good. Then again, I didn’t like Halo 3 that much, but loved Halo: ODST (soundtrack of that game <3). And I don't even play Halo online, I get smashed every time. :( Still I thought Reach was a superb Singleplayer-title, and definitely the best shooter of last year.

24. lexph3re

@23 Really wasn’t much fps’s last year to compare to others. I wonder how many fps’s you’ve actually played. Genuinely interested may I ask every fps you’ve beat this gen?

25. DaMan

23, agreed. Hardly every fps out there has the same kind of theater, or an equivalent of Forge too. Btw, Odst had an uncomparably more atmospheric campaign, witty dialog and excellent score . One impressive stage in Reach was where you pilot Sabre though. Generally, gameplay wise the campaign was outstanding and insanely polished, it just wasn’t built for SP. I detested the characters though.

Also, Halo artstyle is amazing, Bungie ‘ve ruined it a bit in Reach but then again it’s just vastly diffferent. Despise the boring palettes in games.

26. lexph3re

@26 didn’t you say one second… “Sony’s portfolio, through the years they’ve dropped pretty much all decent titles, and the new ones they introduced I have zero intention of playing”

Which would lead us to believe you haven’t played any of their first/sec party games. So, how can you compare the other games theater? Could you feel me in on your games played this gen 1st party? I hate making assumptions.

27. ruckus

@OlderGamer Agree except for “Todays world is about multiplatform anyways” – It’s always been that way.

28. DaMan

Actually, before wasting their money, people usually find out if the product has what they’re looking for in it.

No, it depends. say, experiencing a joy of playing the original God of War I decided to skip every single of the later ones. Anyway, I hardly need to play through the game to know how it’s theater functions. Nor do I recall mentioning the particular titles, eh?

But now that you bring it up, tell me more: does the third one have one, cause the predecessors sure as hell didn’t have an option to record a dozen of matches, put them in the temp files and watch replays with pause/fwd/rewind, as well as being able to record clips from inside the video and using photo mode afterwards?

29. lexph3re

Well that depends on your game daman and what the developers put in. I’ve seen quit a few games utilize theater functions and photo functions. but, not a lot that does both. It’s really sad to see some games allow you to do things and others don’t. Really shows the laziness of the developers and the content they want to put on a retail disk.

30. Kuwabara

Demon souls by itself is better than most first party xbox exclusives combined!!

31. DaMan

@30 Well, that’s true. I for one really do enjoy it though, which is why I even mentioned it. Because to me it matters a lot. I spend lots of time replaying amusing or well played matches, and record small clips, i also like it when you can share them. same goes for photos. There’re some hillarious pics taken by the community too.

I know that the second Uncharted has one, out of curiosity does it allow you to take pics though?

32. lexph3re

@Kuwabara please don’t start a flame. I don’t feel like hearing half hearted opinions trying to convince ppl that their choice in games are better. I really can’t take that ish anymore

33. lexph3re

I can check I didn’t use it in there. I used the take pic functions in tekken 6 though. but, let me pop it in and take a look

34. DaMan

Sure thing, take your time man.

35. lexph3re

So far I found the video trailer and picture taker only on the multiplayer of the game. To take the pic you have to be in cinema mode where you can pause and capture a screenshot

edit: you also can make some visual tweaks to the game. These are some nice features even I over looked. And, they more then likely will be expected to be in Uc3 will be nice with the facebook interaction.

36. Christopher Jack

I prefer Sony’s gaming library the most, sure they don’t have the same commercial success as either MS or Nintendo this generation but they’ve got the most quality games in multiple genres so there’s also some diversity. Their partnerships with external studios is also something that should be admired, probably only second to EA.

Nintendo’s franchises aren’t made for guys like me but that’s fine, just means that Nintendo has alienated a core audience who have now been split between Sony & Microsoft consoles.

Microsoft have only a handful of good scoring & commercially successful franchises & appear to be too scared to spread their wings. Only reason that I own an Xbox 360 is because I got it on the cheap & mildly enjoy a little Halo & Fable from time to time.

37. Hybridpsycho

#6

lol’d big time.

I’m not saying Resistance is a REALLY good game, sure it’s fun and all.

But the fact that you’re saying HALO is a good game and that it’s superior to even Killzone makes me laugh.

The overall design and graphics on the halo games are horrible, the level designer should be fired as well as the art director.
    The game really has nothing special, it’s an alien shooter. Where as Gears of War has EPIC GORE together with Killzone that’s not far behind on that point (Killzone also has the most epic enemy Helghast, of all time) and Reistance have some funny guns combined with the whole human rebel theme :)
    Halo has got nothing, it’s a boring sci-fi game with no amusement at all. The only reason Halo has become so popular is that it was the only game that was some kind of success (apart from Fable) on the first Xbox. It has since then been lingering ’cause some people thought the Xbox was much cooler than the PS2.

I enjoy both consoles, don’t take me for a PS fan or anything. I just despise Halo that’s all. It’s the most overhyped and overeestimated game through all of history. Even my friends who were extreme Halo fans are beginning to say that the series actually isn’t that good compared to most other series out there.

Also, I’d say that PS has a few more exclusive titles that I like to play. 360 only has one, Gears of War.

Also, God of War > Microsoft. Kratos just tears everyone apart.

38. DaMan

@36 Ah, i see that one does allow it. Yeah, I like when you can add some basic effects to all the pics in-theater without transferring to PC too, like in PGR.

39. Christopher Jack

@38, People have outright called me a Sony/PlayStation fan, which I guess is fair to assume because I prefer their offerings right now. But I still enjoy Halo, although I’d like to see Bungie incorporate some more UGC puzzle maps into Living Dead.

The best part of Halo 3 was playing infection with several mates on many of these glitched maps-now that they’ve incorporated phased building into Reach that severely lessens the stress of building, I just don’t see many people making use of it, all my old Halo 3 mates are glued to CoD, maybe I need to meet a few new groups of Reach players who play on custom maps-Bungie made ones are pretty average.

40. lexph3re

Yeah, like I said earlier though. The ball is completely in the devs had. I have very little respect this gen for developers. mainly multi-plats though to be honest. Their the biggest ones screaming hardware limitations but the exclusives always tend to just prove them half arsed.

41. DaMan

Why do people always make posts which are as long as they’re inane and predictable on articles like this? Every single one has the same styled ones, like they’re made by the same tool. Hmm. Also, http://yfrog.com/z/9f25275j *yawn*

@40 Ever since they updated the playlists a month-two or so back you get the community maps all the time. I even hate them now, lmao.

42. SamJ

Metacritic scores aren’t a great support for Durkin’s (unsurprising) claim… they should be taken with a grain of salt, they’re not all that great a gauge of superiority.

43. Christopher Jack

@42, They picked some pretty awful ones, I don’t mind some of the big team battle maps but the smaller ones suck arse, Bungie should update them to remove glitch spots, one of them I can get under the map with a jatpack & stay there the entire game.

44. Kuwabara

xbox 360 is the worst console in history. Every other console has had better and more quality first party exclusives. Nintendo and sony has been in the market alot longer than microsoft, but its still a shame they cant get their shit right. Theyd rather put all their money in xbox live and kinect lol.

45. DaMan

@44 I currently don’t really play Team Slayer in Reach, so can’t say I have enough experience with them but the Btb community made maps were better than any non dlc ones aside from the Blood Gulch remake.

46. OrbitMonkey

Goddamn, VG247 is fucking shit for news on the weekends -_-

Though It is amusing that they always keep a bit of trollbait ready for the fanboys ;)

47. Erthazus

@Hybridpsycho, anyone who is saying that Halo is superior to something is… well… never played good games or just started with Halo.

But Killzone or Resistance are also, not a very good examples of a great FPS games. Both did a very solid or mediocre experience at best.
    Insomniac or Guerrilla don’t have FPS experience compared to guys like Irrational games or DICE, Valve, Id software and etc. who make games all their life since the beggining of the genre. I still believe in Guerrilla, but so far Killzone 1 sucked ass… Killzone 2 was a mediocre shooter with interesting multiplayer, Killzone 3 with crappy CoD campaign and stripped Killzone 2 multiplayer with few new interesting features.

Halo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6WLMt-3oQ – perfect review about Halo 3 :D

Little stupid midgets, crappy AI, horrible engine, with absolutely horrible characters that have no soul or decent dialogs, crappy environments that does not have (in 2011) any furniture except for gigantic buildings for no reason at all (well Halo:Reach after the new engine have extremely polished sky), crappy gameplay that is stripped from Tribes and Unreal Tournament with weapons that hardly have any feel to it, art style is … blue gay space marines… these are not space maries…. i can hardly tell who they are.
    Space Marines are in Warhammer 40K. Now these are Space Marines.

48. farhad23

this guy has gone nuts
    he should take his pills immediately !!
    any way i dont see even one brilliant M$ first party game
    while nintendo and sony have had it for years !
    totally agree with valve , id software and Dice but you forgot to name epic BEFORE gears of war
    these companies are really legendary in FPS genre history

49. DaMan

Anyone saying Halo is anything aside from awesome is a sad person who spends more time on the internet pimping users ratings on Metacritic than playing games (unless they’re just not into it).

Bungie were making extraordinary titles like Marathon which was the predecessor of Halo having multiplayer game types like King of The Hill or Oddball in the days when Epic were making Jazz the Jackrabbit, Unreal wasnt even planned when Bungie already were releasing omp games. ironically, it was later that Ut copied Halo by similarly incorporating vehicles into it’s gameplay, although funnily enough ended up being shit.

Sad patients who never played Odst or have the mentality of 13 years olds can’t comprehend it’s characters. Then again they never played any Halo, thus not surprising in the slightest. The same sad patients have never ever approached Tribes and found out about the similarities to Halo on this very website from other people who ‘ve been playing fps before the aforementioned patients could hold a mouse properly. The irony.

Amazing AI, excellent design (unlike shitty dull Epic games attempts at modelling), and everything really.

Quite a bit of homophobia we can also witness in that retardation of a post above. Sad in every aspect. Well, what to expect from latvian kids with deficit of vitamin B?

^ Quote:

‘ Bundgie makes these game ‘

Lmao. Sad patients are hating on the title even before they could spell ‘Bungie’. the grammEr and spelling hardly improved either..

The sad truth is that the mentally ill zealots can’t get over the fact that a console got an amazing fps game. Wrong sense of entitlement, retardation plus ADHD results in fighting the fight since they discovered foreign interwebs in 2009.

50. Lewis247

@Erthazus. Ok so Hybridpsycho’s comment was directed at me therefore means your comment “anyone who is saying that Halo is superior to something is… well… never played good games or just started with Halo” clearly directs at me.

Ok couple of things. You are completely wrong on both accounts. I have played plenty of good games and I didn’t start with Halo. I just personally love halo, the games are far more solid than resistence and killzone will ever be. You just need to look at resistance 2 and killzone 3 to realize this.

Well thank goodness you can agree that killzone and resistance are no where near good examples of fps games than a shit load of others in the genre.

Right ok, Halo 3 I will admit is not the greatest of titles. The story went a bit off track. The covenant now talk too much English which is ended up being severely retarded. The weapons over all are pretty disappointing compared to 1 and 2.

But if you ask me.. the halo series is still extremely fun to play. The first was a great fps game and on that alone it trumps the dire, gloomy mess that is kilzone and resistance.

51. Andreas2402

Not really, I’m currently selling my 360 so he can imagine how much “superior” 1st party titles are.
    Overheating consoles, non-rechargable controllers, kiddy dashboard designed for 4-year-olds, crappy menus don’t help either.

52. Christopher Jack

@52, Many will argue that the 360s menu is better than the XMB, I personally agree with you though, it’s too slow & clunky, even the in-game guide, a much simpler interface, is slower than the in-game XMB.

The new model doesn’t really suffer from overheating issues & I do agree that it’s stupid in this day & age that the standard controller requires AA batteries. Oh how I remember when all my portable entertainment ate dozens of them monthly… in the 20th century.

I think Sony’s in the best position for our demographic next gen, they’ve proven that they support us & openly welcome new online experiences either through MMO games like MAG or Dust 514 or UGC as in LBP & inFamous 2-which I’ve no doubt could expand to 3rd party games if they didn’t also have to deal with XBL.

53. strikkebil

he b trollin

54. KrazyKraut

Ofc, the first party title from MS sell more. They have Halo, Forza and Alan Wake.
    But then on the PS3, you have Resistance, Uncharted, InFamous, Motor Storm,God of War, Gran Turisimo, Rachet & Clank, Killzone and Little Big Planet. How stupid can MS be to say something shitty? PS3 has more AAA+ IPs then MS. And thats why Sony cant sell millions of each IP, because of saturation…

55. Clupula

I know he works for Microsoft and he HAS to say things like this, but I still can’t help but laughing.

56. Telepathic.Geometry

It is absolutely ridiculous to claim that your games are the best when it is such an subjective thing, and when objectively metacritic says you play second fiddle to Nintendo. Try harder MS.

57. TheWulf

Haahahahaahahahahahahahahahaaahahahaa… ahaha… haa…

Oh, wait! They’re being serious?

Hahaaahahahahaaahahahahahahahaha!

Look, Micrsoft, come back when you have your own Ratchet & Clank. Then we’ll talk.

And I say that mostly as a PC/handheld gamer.

*goes back to playing Solatorobo, a DS game which is more interesting than most the games he’s played in the past couple of years.*

58. triggerhappy

Personal preference. Thats what it all boils down to. One mans trash is another mans treasure and all that. This Durkin guy is the xbox CFO so I suppose smack talk like that is part of his job but at this point people like that should know better. -1 for Mr Durkin im afraid.

59. Lord Gremlin

It’s so obviously and blatantly untrue that it makes you wonder – why say that at all? Compared to PS3 and Wii 360′s first party is just…
    Just sad.

60. KL

@54 i think there are more in that list Starhawk, Twisted metal, The Last Guardian and i’m sure Quantic dream is in the works of a new ps3 title

61. TD_Monstrous69

In the number of products sold, maybe he has a point. But as far as quality, that’s just about an outright lie. Make something that isn’t a shooter or a Kinect game I’ll never play, then come back and talk to me. Is it just me, or does it seem like Microsoft’s starting to get a really high opinion of itself?

62. OlderGamer

Ya know I read all of the comments here and I have to say I think most of ya are worn. Of course an opinion can be “wrong” and still be right if ya follow me.

What i am saying here is that on the whole this entire generation of consoles aren’t worth a hill of beans. This is the best time to be a PC scince the days of C64.

Give me a SNES, PS1, PS2, or a Dreamcast.

Today we get unpolsihed glitchy buggy games that lock out 20-40% of the content for future DLC sales(and most of them are codes for content already embeded on the disc). Too many(way too many) OMP shooters, they have become the easy route to millions. Every pub wants their own Halo or CoD. Hype sells more games then quality. We are drowning in franchises. Every game platform feels the need to change/extend/apeal to none gamers. Some fo you actualy think there is a core gamer demographic(hint they died with the Dreamcast). Now get ready for Kinect and Move(doesn’t it bother you that your core games platforms – sony/ms – have both attempted to mimic what the one system that most of you hate and make fun of already does? Need further proof your core gamer club is only a name? We get set top boxes that want you to be able to watch TV and stream as much/maybe more then actualy play games. EA is retiring their sports servers 18months after the games launch to force you buy the new ones inorder to keep playing online. GameStop and their ilk have such a stranglehold on the market with second hand sales that pubs are looking into other forms of media distribution like Streaming/Cloud/digital sales – don’t fool yourself, you know that one is dead on.

I could go on and on. I iknow I lumped all of that in a mess w/o sentence and breaking points. Because that is what this gen is, one big rotten mess.

There are a few bright spots this gen. Like Sony getting a wake up call – hey people don’t wanna work two jobs to be able to afford your system after all. MS can’t buy talent. Rare fell apart and it was let Bungie go, or the talent leaves. RIP Bizzare. Nintendo found out that while women of all ages enjoy video games, they don’t often buy many games. And Nintendo discovered that 3rd parties matter after all. XBLA got good this gen, very good. Steam has become legend.

But really on the whole, nothing this gen has matched the magic I felt when I played Super Metriod, SNES Zelda, Super Mario World, FFIV, Crono Triger or Tekken, Ridge Racer, Castlevania SOTN, Or Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Champions of Norath, or MVC/2, Grandia II, Phantasy Star Online, Speed Devils Online, Armada, Record Of Lodus Wars, Mars Matrix, Canon Spike, and Giga Wing.

I am so tired of this gen, I don’t have the words. Maybe its just my age, maybe not. But games have grown tiresome and it is often a chore to stay interested. I have enough of what I enjoy this gen to keep me playing. But none of it is an Uncharted, God of war, Gears of war, Halo, or COD.

I play the little stuff like Pinball FX2. Castle Crashers. Plants VS Zombies. Fat Princess. And any number of gems that none ever seems to mention when talking about great games. Maybe you should change the names from great games to proven franchises. There is a big difference. Just look at PopCap PvZ is a great game, and drasticly different from Pegel, Zuma, or anything else they publish. Yet every CoD is the same game with different tweaks.

So go ahead, debate the best of todays games, call them exclusive if it makes you feel better. But in the end the only ones calling them great and best ever are the one too young to know any better.

and just fyi, this rant wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular. Just mussings of gamer feeling outdated and out of touch.

63. Kuwabara

kz2 single player is better than any halo game on xbox 360, while killzone 3′s multiplayer is better than reach or halo odst multiplayer. Both resistance 1 and 2 had a better campaign mode than any halo on xbox 36o! Halos game design sux, playing it made me want to throw up from all the dizziness. Why cant u xbox fanboys agree that Halo used to be great on xbox, and went downhill since the first game?!

64. YoungZer0

@62: Are you feeling better now? o.o Because you sure seem to have needed that.

Although i enjoyed a some games this gen (Mostly RDR), i still think that this gen has not found it’s perfect volume of games. For me, there is still not enough justification for why the PS3 and 360 need to exist. And we are already talking about the next gen. This really pisses me off.

I had the most fun with the PS3 this gen, but i wouldn’t even consider comparing this gen to the previous one. I have a shitload of videogames for my PS2, all of them still great. I don’t have that with this gen. I seriously don’t.

Games like Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Way of the Samurai 1/2. Persona 3/4. Shadow of the Colossus. Metal Gear Solid 2. I have so many games, i can barely keep track. I don’t even have half of the amount on my PS3. Not because there so few games, but because there are so few worth purchasing.

Yes, i’m well aware that Prototype is like Hulk, but it’s not as good as Hulk. I’m also aware that Way of the Samurai 3 was released on PS3/360, but it’s not as good as Way of the Samurai 1/2. Yes, i’m also aware that Metal Gear Solid 4 exists, but it’s not as good as MGS2.

And where the fuck is my Vagrant Story sequel? That was my favorite PS1 Game of them all.

I finished Resistance 2 yesterday. I was waiting for the game to become good, then suddenly i completed it.

How this game could get more than a 5 out of 10 is absolutely ridiculous. What a complete turd. Seriously. Set in the 50′s, with Helicopters and C4. Stuff that didn’t exist around that time. At all. Not even on Blueprints. Why even choose that period if you don’t give a shit about the timeline?

Enemy spawning that would put Call of Duty to shame. A story that has nothing to do with your actions. A story not even worth mentioning to be honest.

Consider this year … The Witcher 2 is the only game so far that was worth spending bucks on it.

The problem with most games this Gen is, that Publishers take less risks. They want to sell more units. They look at the numbers. What games sell good? Call of Duty you say? Let’s make our game like Call of Duty.

And by doing that they lose their identity. I think just now developers are actually trying to go away from that route. Try to be unique again.

65. Christopher Jack

@64, What do you mean by ‘different’? Every ‘different’ game that I’ve played this gen has been pretty mediocre, whether it by different story or gameplay mechanics. Why should these publishers take risks? Look at the best selling games this gen, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty, Halo, Gran Turismo-all with little-to-no changes over their predecessors.

66. YoungZer0

I haven’t used the word ‘different’ in my comment.

67. OlderGamer

“@62: Are you feeling better now? o.o Because you sure seem to have needed that.”

lol

I guess I did need that, and yea I do feel a bit better now ;)

Its just that a lot of time I read posts about the greatness of this or that and am left wondering what the hell those people saw in said games to begin with.

68. Christopher Jack

@67, Personal perspectives, mate.

69. lexph3re

@Young Zero You do know the first blueprint of the helicopter was in the 1500′s right? and, actually the successful modern heli design was in 1948 so it’s not hard to believe in 1950′s mid time they had heli’s.

And, seeing how helicopters we’re used in WW2 and, that was mostly prototypes. I don’t see any conflict with Resistances execution

Oh yeah, and plastic explosives was invented in 1875

70. Christopher Jack

@YoungZero, I also don’t remember mutants annihilating human kind-point is, this game isn’t aiming to be scientifically correct & why should it? Video games are a form of entertainment-not normally containing scientific accuracy. Also, something as simple as Wikipedia could prove you wrong about helicopters.

71. pukem0n

funny how people write novels about meaningless shit like console wars

72. lexph3re

Well the point is they were actaully very accurate. While leaving room for imagination and innovation. Everyone knows technology advances the fastest during times of war. And, in Resistance it’s a non-stop war. with 1950′s man coming into contact with superior alien technology. I think resistance executed beautifully as a sci-fi epic in terms of story. It’s makes more since then the space cowboys branded spartan with aliens speaking english by the 2nd and third installment.

A lot of people just hate on resistance because it’s Sony’s take on the space invasion. If you like sci-fi epics then both should still be good to you. They both take from 2 completely different angles. And, should be appreciated for their seperate takes. Just to many anal halo fans that don’t like something different and vice versa for the resistance fans.

73. freedoms_stain

Just an opinion, but MS had a lead on first party titles several years ago that they have since let slip tremendously.

74. YoungZer0

@69: The helicopters as seen in the game are being used for transportation of soldiers and MEDEVAC. Those have first been seen in the Vietnam war. Before that they could pretty much only be used for scout missions.

Also: Yes i’m well aware that Plastic Explosives existed before, but not C4. C3 MAYBE, but not C4. It’s little details like these that pissed me off.

They specifically have chosen this time period, but with such a time period comes restriction.

@70: See above. You might read the first few sentence in a Wiki article, but you should have payed attention to details.

75. lexph3re

The above information I gave you was towards the fact that what they were aiming for was 90% possible that because of the situation they created was to accelerate the technological growth. It’s more then plausible to make it where the weapons, vehicles, and tactics involve within a short amount of time.

I can see where your point is but, hopefully you can see from mine as well.

76. neon6