Pachter predicts MW3 will outsell Black Ops

Tuesday, 12th July 2011 01:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter thinks Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will outsell Black Ops, which recently became the UK’s best-selling game ever.

Gamespot reports Pachter believes Modern Warfare 3 will sell more than 20 million units, his estimate of Black Ops’ lifetime sales.

Pachter thinks the franchise’s strong fanbase of “17 million weekly active unique online players” will drive the latest entry past its precursors.

All this despite Pachter’s warning that the introduction of freemium service Call of Duty Elite will send some past loyalists right into the arms of rival Battlefield 3.

Each of the last few entries in the Call of Duty series has outsold its immediate predecessor, and Modern Warfare 3 pre-orders are piling up faster than Black Ops managed.

Modern Warfare 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early November.

1. Erthazus

You really need to stop posting Pachter predictions.

He is captain obvious in 99.9%

2. Strandli

NO WAY!

3. Gama_888

wtf why is he getting paid to state the obvious?

4. DSB

Introducing a stats center will make people play Battlefield 3? Somehow I strongly doubt that.

It is going to be a whole new ballgame without Zampella and West though, and that could really hurt the series. It sounds to me like they’re going way too far to satisfy a few whiners, while people are obviously still quite happy playing MW2. Build on it, don’t start fixing what ain’t broke.

5. tontsa91

If that is the case I have lost all the rest of my faith in humanity.

6. xino

true…no brainer here. As it’s so obvious anyone can guess so, only fanboys will say BF3 will outsell it.

i will get MW3!
    I rented black ops cuz i was feeling skeptical about it, plus the insane price too.

i can’t wait for this game.

and all the BF3 fanboys saying BF3 will outsell MW3 are out of their ass.

its like saying a new video hosting site will take over Youtube.

7. galaxy366

@6 BF3 will not outsell MW3 thats a fact from here to the moon. But BF3 will in someway be more superior aka: graphics, battlelog.

8. polygem

yea. bf3 wont outsell mw3. but probably outperform in every way. i preordered both anyway – will enjoy both – love both franchises.
    pachter….you´re a genius. all this knowlege. the universe. it is amazing. i bow down in front of you. you are my guru.

9. Dannybuoy

Sales will be down in my house. I thought CoDBlops was actually pretty crap. I’ll not be buying the next, I’m pretty over CoD right now.

10. CaptPierce

I had no intention to buy this AT AL, but the more I read about it, the more it peaked my interest, enough to actually warrant a purchase. I’ll get this alongside Battlefield 3, but I already KNOW I’ll be spending too much time on the the latter.

11. UKTomm

No shit Sherlock…

12. Lewis247

*Claps hands* Well done captain obvious… Well done.

13. IL DUCE

@1 Lol I was going to say the same thing, only I was going to phrase it:

THANK YOU CAPTAIN-FUCKIN-OBVIOUS!

14. IL DUCE

But yeah I’m pretty sure MW2 and MW3 are pretty much the same game…will get it anyway but I will prefer BF3 if it lives up to expectations…

@9 that’s maybe the only thing that would affect sales, idiots like you not knowing a completely different dev made Black Ops…and the only reason Black Ops sold so much was due to all the fans CoD4 and MW2 produced…

@8 I agree…getting tired of CoD though, def a love/hate relationship since its like a beacon for assholes and little kids but the mute button helps preserve the multiplayer experience…I was going to boycott MW3 and just get BF3 but all my friends will prob be on MW3 either way so I pre-ordered it instead of being forced to get it at some point after launch…