Sony is top-valued brand in China despite recent security woes

Tuesday, 5th July 2011 16:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

According to a survey conducted in China, despite the recent hacking attacks on Sony’s PSN service, the firm is still considered one of the most valued brands in the country.

TNS, a market research firm, listed Sony has the most valued brand in the country, with other electronics firms Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Canon each maintaining their respective slots from the prior year’s survey.

The Campaign 2011 Top 1000 Asia-Pacific Brands survey asked consumers in various income brackets to rank “the domestic and global brands that they most value in the Asia-Pacific region.”

Over 3,300 people aged 15 to 64 were surveyed online.

“I think we often find it’s the everyday brands that come out on top in this survey,” said Atifa Hargrave-Silk, editorial director of brand media Asia for Haymarket media, who sponsored the survey. “It’s not a reflection of Asia’s love affair with luxury brands.”

Via WSJ.

1. OrbitMonkey

China, the global capital of software/hardware piracy & hacking loves Sony?

BIG surprise.

2. Bluebird

“despite the recent hacking attacks on Sony’s PSN service”

Possibly because it affected very few people in China and Playstation is only one part of Sony. I could imagine that Sony is more recognized (and that is what was really measured by the survey going by WSJ) because it has simply more products on the market (TVs, cameras, phones and consoles, etc)

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

Sony As Playstation I like, but not love.

Sony as whole brand, I think i love, they make good products for decent price. for example good surround systems for fraction of price on what BOSE costs. Great tvs, etc.

When it comes to PS3, I love it most out of all 3 consoles, but it should be way better

4. Peetry

I still buy Sony products over most others simply because I think the quality is better, I can’t think of any Sony product that I’ve owned that has broken, the same cannot be said for Samsung, LG, Toshiba, WD, Dell. As for Microsoft well lets just say I have owned 4 seperate X-Box 360′s, although to be fair I’ve had the same MS keyboard and mouse for 4 years and they still work great.

5. loveaya

That’s because of all the products of SONY not only the PS3 and its games.

#1 has a radical opinion.