Brink goes live on Steam for sub-£25

Friday, 1st July 2011 12:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Nearly two months after the console versions and the retail SKU launched, Steam’s finally gone live with Brink. For those who haven’t bought the Splash Damage shooter for PC yet, it’s currently on a 25 percent discount, priced at £22.49. The game launched back in May for PS3 and 360, as well as on PC at retail, but unknown issues with Steam seen its release on the service mysteriously delayed until now. This comes before the release of brand new DLC Agents of Change. You can buy the game here.

1. Yoshi

I’m pretty sure its been on the store for quite some time… *thinks*

EDIT: Yep, I’ve got quite a few friends with it bought.

2. Johnny Cullen

Sure it’s not the retail version? Think that has Steamworks, so Steam stuff would be included in it. Either way, it appearing on the actual service to download is very recent anyways.

3. DSB

I preordered it and had it since May 13 on Steam, no probs. Must be a UK thing, if there’s any truth to the above.

I wouldn’t dream of buying a game in a store that was made of bricks.

4. El_MUERkO

Yeah, it vanished from the UK Steam store on launch day and no one has said why.

I’d bought it from retail so it didn’t affect me, but I’ve since uninstalled it for being a buggy pile of shite.

5. Heinekeno

>buggy pile of shite<

6. polygem

just rented brink today. was really interested in it but mediocore reviews and user opinions made me not buy it. i´ll check it out now. i think the charakter customization will be a lot of fun alone…ok i´m off playing brink now…

7. Lounds

My mate pre-orded it back in january thinking he had bought it on steam lol.

8. Dralen

I saw it for £16.50 in Tesco last week, and I still didn’t buy it.

9. endgame

I don’t understand. it has been on steam for quite some time now. me and several of my friends (most of them being from UK) used to play it when it first came out.

10. tdrules

to all the people above, Brink was taken off Steam in the UK shortly after release for absolutely no reason whatsoever (looking at Crysis 2 situation I suspect it was a DLC issue).
    So now it has been put back on, I may get it. I saw it at Eurogamer Expo 09 in a private screening thing and it looked great

11. polygem

it really is not great. played just for a little while and wont waste more time on it i guess. has potential but feels kinda wrong gameplaywise. a game must grab me from the start. this one really didn´t at all. the artdesign is nice but story telling fails to bring this game to life a little. really mediocore in every way.

12. DSB

Story was never really the point, although they did try to work it into the promotion.

What really sucks is that the maps are vastly compressed from where they were with Quake Wars, and the objectives essentially haven’t changed at all, in fact they’ve gotten a lot less enjoyable.

It’s always one team trying to grief the other, instead of both teams trying to reach an objective, with spawn points that are usually so close that you’re clashing constantly.

It’s very sad to promise an evolution of that objective-based gameplay and a truly gorgeous world when what you get is essentially very small, often closed maps, and objectives that aren’t balanced right, and do nothing to really inspire a team to rally together.

It’s not as bad as some of the reviews stated, but it’s far below its own ambitions.