Bohemia Interactive has announced the launch of Arma 2: Free, which is a free-to-play version of its military simulation title Arma 2.
Arma 2: Free includes almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods. You can get in on the public beta here.
The game will allow players to create their own “custom-built scenarios or deploy a massive selection of missions and game-modes made by others.”
No micro-transactions, no hidden costs, just virtual war without the training wheels.
Some of the key features of Arma 2: Free include:
- Free military simulation – An authentic battlefield simulation, including bullet ballistics, material penetration and much more.
- Free armory – A comprehensive range of 300+ weapons, units and fully-usable armed or unarmed vehicles across air, land and water classes.
- Free unique multiplayer – Multiplayer with large-scale maps for 50+ live players and hundreds of AI units. Supports a wide variety of MP modes from co-op and PvP modes, to total mayhem!
- Free dedicated servers – Both Linux and Windows OS dedicated server support for users to host freely wherever and however they like even to play together on the same retail game-servers.
- Free creativity – Quick mission templates, a powerful, built-in, easy to use SP/MP mission editor, and advanced scripting.
Arma 2: Free is fully compatible with user-made missions, campaigns and multiplayer modes originally created for Arma 2, as well as being multiplayer compatible with the full Arma 2 providing no user-made addons or mods are used. It also adds and update to version 1.10 to be compatible with Arma 2 Free by uniting both Arma 2 and Arma 2: Free to version 1.10.
Get more information through the beta link above.