Sony confirms new CECH-3000B PS3 model

Monday, 20th June 2011 01:09 GMT By Staff

Sony has confirmed the new CECH-3000B model of PlayStation 3 following earlier Japanese retail reports overnight, but “nothing to share” on a European release.

Sony’s opened up a website for the new model, confirming it will weigh 2.6kg, will feature a 320Gb HDD and a lower power consumption from 230 watts in the present model to 200 watts in the new one.

The new model will ship in charcoal black for ¥34,980, but will also have a 160Gb version for the hardware bundle for Tales of Xillia when it launches in Japan on September 8 for ¥37,980.

It’ll begin shipping on its own this month.

The CECH-3000B was first reported overnight.

Despite the new model Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s told VG247 the information released so far was “for Japan only and we have nothing to share at this time” in regards to a European launch.

[Story by Brenna Hillier, contribution by Johnny Cullen.]

1. Razor

To be honest I’m expecting it to be uglier.

PS3 phat to PS3 slim was a downgrade and a half visually. Glad I’ve got the original chrome trim one :)

2. NightCrawler1970

Let me guess, no USB slots??? no wonder it called “hack proof”….

3. Phoenixblight

Troll harder. They have never removed a physical feature of the system plus it needs the USB plugs for the controller.

4. Gama_888

@1 agreed.
    Wonder what itll look like?

And will it come with a price cut aswell?

5. NoxNoctisUmbra

Ps2 had 3 versions right? PS2, ps2 slim, and ps2 slim with internal power supply. So I think it’s possible to see another ps3 with price cut.

6. Maverick Dean

They phased out CF, SD, and proprietary Magic Gate Memory Stick drives… And as far as physical features go, they went from a 19-blade Japanese fan to a cheap 15-blade Chinese-made fan that caused many, many ps3-phats to retain excessive heat and suffer from extremely loud fan noise.

7. Hunam

@5 I don’t think the slim ever got internal power supply as I have the very last UK model slim and that is external, they just skimmed out the innards. There are like 12 versions of PS2 but only two distinct models. I’m glad the PS3 is getting another slim though as the current slim is kinda ugly and making it wider and longer but thinner kinda seemed a bit silly.

8. HauntaVirus

hack proof? who are they kidding??? there will always be someone smarter than them.

9. NightCrawler1970

@3, they disable the USB for stick(im not using geohots) shit or my PS3 isn’t a homebrew, and charging controlers you can use a stand-alone charging station you can add 4 controlers and charge all at the same time… no need a PS3 with USB…(if sony want a what they called a hack-proof)….

I own a PS3, so im not trolling :D

10. Phoenixblight

The USB dongle act as a charger for your controller there is no need to buy any charging station if you need more USB you can plug it to the PC and it charges just the same.

Which comes with the console. So I don’t know what you are smoking but you need to lay off of it.

11. tenthousandgothsonacid

Confused by the power usage numbers in this. Fat ps3 used 200 watts and the slims top out at about 80 watts already… Has this rumour fallen through a wormhole in time ?

12. osric90

So I sold my FAT PS3 for Slim and now I’m supposed to sell my Slim for Anorexic one?

13. noherczeg

Somethings wrong on the internetz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware

According to this, the PS already consumes less than 100 Watts. Who’s lying? :D

14. Kaufer

I think power supply and power comsumption are being confused.
    Take this for example. It says Power Consumption of a PS3fat is 380W.

But on wikipedia The power consumption of the initial PlayStation 3 units based on 90 nm Cell CPU ranges from 170–200 watts during normal use, despite having a 380 watt power supply.

So there.

15. Lightmanone

Why would we even need another version? I have the PS3 Slim, with 160GB. Never had the fat (hell no). But.. There is no way that I would buy a newer one.. There is simply no need. Ever. I don’t get why Sony even does this.. cheaper hardware maybe, but… I give up: why sony?

16. Johnny Cullen

It’s actually been confirmed by Sony. Deeds on the way.

17. Gekidami

Why are people throwing around this “Hack proof” tag as if its an actual quote from Sony? Looks like it’ll be yet another case of something Sony never said being paraded as something they did so that later down the line people can say “OMG!!! TEH ARROGANCEZ!!!”

18. KL

@17 my thoughts exactly.Word of mouth and bad press and then Sony gets “credit”

19. mojo

“Why are people throwing around this “Hack proof” tag”
    because they are morons.
    wich is actualy the answer to alsmost all questions related to human behavior.

15: u missed the point. entirely.

20. Espers

@1 I have the White Slim and it’s beautiful, though you have to keep your room away from dust.

21. PEYJ

Funny that some people seem to think that the usb slots are being removed. If so, how would we be able to use the camera and thereby the Move controllers?

22. Telepathic.Geometry

This is pretty good news for yours truly. My old phatty has seen a lot of use and looks like it may soon die on me, so I’d been considering a replacement. Good timing. Better than when I bought an iPhone 3 last year just before the iPhone 4 was released and my company went bankrupt. (>.<)

23. Johnny Cullen

Sony Europe’s commented on it.

24. NeoSquall

@23 Ok, this means we’ll see it for Christmas.

25. Razor

September or August for Europe then, probably.

26. Christopher Jack

PS2 BC?

27. mojo

ho long u ppl keep asking for what will never come?

/writes whishlist for Santa

28. DuckOfDestiny

The only difference will be the hardware they use inside of the PS3, nothing else. Companies do it all the time, as the components they use become smaller, cheaper and more efficient as they are further developed.

29. gomersoul

@28 glad you said it duckman… don’t know what everyone else is talking about… it won’t even look the slightest bit different

30. NightCrawler1970

@21, ever heard about “BLUE-TOOTH”??? Camera don’t need a wire, so blue-tooth is the best outcome, controlers are blue-tooth, why not the camera’s????

31. Phoenixblight

Again the controllers connect through USB slots so they are not Blue Tooth only.

32. Christopher Jack