Silent Hill 2 actor “seeking compensation” from Konami over performance rights

Tuesday, 14th June 2011 12:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The actor who played James Sunderland in Silent Hill 2 has said he’s “seeking compensation” from Konami over performances he gave for the horror.

It follows a decision from Konami to bring in a new actor for the role of Sunderland in the HD version of SH2 that will come with the Silent Hill Collection, which was recently announced.

“Sure, I’d do it again if they asked me but they won’t,” said Guy Cihi in a Reddit thread when asked if he would return if asked by the publisher.

“The problem is that Konami has already been notified they own me residuals for all previous re-uses of my mocap and voice recordings. Changing the voice won’t excuse them with the next release because my mocap is there all in there. (Sorry, Konami, I own those rights!)

“I’ll get around to seeking compensation through the court one of these days. I simply don’t have the time for it right now. Anybody who has ever sought justice through the cout knows how much money and energy it takes. Hope this doesn’t bum you guys out… It’s just the way it is.”

As pointed out by GSW, if Cihi were to take legal action – regardless of the outcome – it would set a legal precedent in terms of actors involved in roles for games which are getting re-releases with their performances included.

1. swillo

Guy gives a direct statement to TheGamingLiberty about this. It includes everything mentioned above and a little bit extra

2. Gekidami

This news has been sitting in the ‘News?’ thread for 3 days…

3. Phoenixblight

Sorry but this is why they remade the game they even remade the visuals so if this guy even wanted to he wouldn’t have a case. Because if they had owed him any money it would be pass the statute of limitation in all states.

This why Konami has a 6 month time table for their games so they don’t have to continue paying royalties or manufacturing.

4. Blerk

Wait, they changed the actor? Boo!

5. Xuchilbara

So we are getting a “new” James Sunderland in the SH2 remake!? That is stupid….

6. osric90

@5 Really, really stupid. How in fuckin’ hell would they change something in Silent Hill 2? Fuckin’ stupid new studio, they are going to ruin the games in their HD release. I’d rather buy the old Silent Hill 2 (again) instead and keep praying for a PS2 Backwards Compatibility patch.

7. Hunam

If they change Heather Morris’ work on SH3 for Heather I’ll flat out not buy it.

8. thesupersakura

@7 Get ready to not buy it then, Siliconera reported that both SH2 & SH3 are getting new voice actors/actresses.

I may pick it up, simply because the director is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.