Quick Quotes: Ireland seriously considering Games Tax Relief

Wednesday, 8th June 2011 22:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Irish Culture minister, Jimmy Deenihan, speaking in the Irish Parliament, described the games industry as ‘‘an enormous global industry with great potential and benefit for job creation’’. Therefore, Dr. Richard Wilson, TIGA CEO, stated: “The Irish Government could be the next in a growing list of Governments around the world supporting the video games industry through a tax relief. This news should encourage the UK Coalition Government to review the case for a tax break for the UK games industry. The video game development sector provides high skilled employment in a high technology, export oriented industry. TIGA will continue to advance the case for a tax break for games production to ensure that the UK remains a leading player in video game development.”

1. Hunam

Is this Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland?

2. DrDamn

Republic.

3. monty12345

I don’t think Northern Ireland can change they’re tax rates independently, they share the same tax as the UK.

I doubt though this will happen, since the corporate tax rate in the republic is one of the lowest in Europe.

I would really hope this would happen though, since I am studying computer science in DIT and wish to get a job in the video game sector one day.

Then again though, I don’t mind moving..

4. El_MUERkO

Monty, I did Computer Science in Kevin Street. My only advice to you is: Go all the way to Phd level. Don’t leave college before then. You will have a substantially better life if you do, unless you win the lottery. And stay away from the games industry unless you’re going indie or running the company.

5. Night Hunter

If anything they should increase taxes, low taxes is what brought them this whole mess in the first place …