Console version of Skyrim Bethesda’s “lead SKU”

Wednesday, 8th June 2011 11:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bethesda’s Craig Lafferty has laid out some flamebait by suggesting that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has been developed primarily for consoles.

“We use the consoles as our lead SKU,” the Skyrim lead producer told CVG.

“So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .”

Lafferty commented that the current console generation is still going strong.

“We could get a lot of the current hardware; we learned a lot from Fallout and Oblivion – and also it became clear with Kinect and [PS] Move that the new consoles weren’t gonna be soon enough for when we wanted to launch the game,” he explained.

Meanwhile, comments about opening the game to a wider audience seem almost designed to further set the core to raging.

“We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,” the producer said.

“… We still have the complexity behind the scenes, but we wanted to make it so that you could pick up the controller and play and it was easy; the average person could get into it.

“We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available … get away from the stats and things like that.

“We’re all big apple fans, so slick users interfaces is one of the things we really wanted to do, make it real natural and polished. You’re gonna be in that menu a lot.”

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 11.

1. mojo

oh, in before erthrage :D

” get away from the stats and things like that.”
    buhh!

2. Edo

And I wondered why this game looks average(at best)after playing The Witcher 2….still Howard himself said that the game will look best on PC.

3. Blerk

Things that will not end well:

1. This thread.

4. Hunam

Explains why all their PC games are a bit of a technical disaster then. I am actually sick to my back teeth of wading through ini’s to enable things built into the game that aren’t running or gutting things that are in there that make no sense. For Fallout you even need to pull DX9 files from elsewhere or the game will slideshow.

(yay, starting the fail thread)

5. Crab of Thunder

Lol who gives a crap? The differences are hardly going to be monumental.

6. TraceableX

Cry, PC fangirls.

7. Schindet Nemo

@ 6

So what? The Pc community will mod this to hell and back

8. minxamo

I’m okay with this.

9. Erthazus

Oh yeah… so PC version is getting cities with loading, HUGE text, crappy dialogs and story, consolized RPG…

Brilliant.

TES series – Rip.

SKYRIM already looks like an upgraded version of Oblivion. Lets see whats next.

10. StolenGlory

Erth, dude, you are truly at your best when your raging :)

11. Erthazus

@10, so what i must say?

Oh my god, i’m so excited that PC is getting a port.

Right? Really? I’m not satisfied with this. Make 2 SKU’s: For console and PC. I’m paying freakin 72$ for this. Damn it.

and of course: ““We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,” the producer said.”

Basially: we want a casual audience.

12. tontsa91

Everything I’ve seen and heard about Skyrim so far has been awesome, but this…. WHY BETHESDA?

13. StolenGlory

I don’t diagree with you at all I just find your rantings hugely entertaining :)

14. Dralen

I’m also pretty disappointed with this news. Back when Oblivion first came out I only had an Xbox 360, I later jumped to PC and WOW what a difference it made to Oblivion. The graphics and framerate is just awful in comparison.

15. UuBuU

300hr+ RPG with full mod support and significantly improved graphics for PC.

Yeah, sounds like a shitty console port. *rolls eyes*

If this were a console RPG it would be a 30 hour story-driven, linear piece of poo like so many other RPGs released recently (mentioning no names)

16. xxJPRACERxx

I’m not a fan of TES and have no interrest in Skyrim, but I really hate that dumb down of games recently. Devs, make games for casual or for core market, but please don’t try to “casualise” core games.

17. Maximum Payne

@15 100% agree.I don’t see problem because its going to have Mods…

18. The Massive Slag

Get used to it PC queens. Ultimately you’ll all be playing second fiddle to consoles for some time to come. It just doesn’t make economic sense for studios not to think about the console market first. Even Erthazus’s pet love The Witcher is coming over to Xbox.

Ultimately, as much as developers can drone on about creating great games for their fan base; they’re only really interested in what’s in your wallet, and the console wallet is considerably fatter.

19. Erthazus

@15, better 30-60 hours of freakin intense gameplay and story then 300+ hours of the same thing over and over with the same 150 dungeons.
    Unless SKYRIM is detailed everywhere for 300+ hours? Hell yeah. I’m in.

In Oblivion i spent 430+ hours and completed every quest (explored everything) and i want to get back these hours of my life. I regret it.

@StolenGlory, :D Aahhh… oh yeah. I’m a ranting machine :D

@xxJPRACERxx, +1000 on every word. “don’t try to “casualise” core games.”

Absolutely.

@The Massive Slag, i really don’t care if Witcher 2 comes to the XBOX 360 as long as PC version is fine… Why not?
    diablo 3 is also probably will come to Xbox 360 or PS3. As long as PC version is fine. Why not?
    Look at Battlefield 3 and other games. It’s not like PC is worse or something, but lead SKU is bullshit.

Make games for PC or just don’t bother with them.

20. UuBuU

@15 – The whole world is handcrafted this time, including the dungeons.

And why would you play a game you hate for 430+ hours? Honestly? Surely at some point during those hours you must’ve realised “this game isn’t for me”.

The fact that you didn’t stop suggests me to that you actually enjoyed the game enough to play it for 430 hours and only criticise it constantly because you think it’s the “cool thing to do”.

Back on topic – TES games make all the mainstream action-RPGs like Mass Effect, Fable, The Witcher, and Dragon Age look tiny. “Freakin intense gameplay” my arse. They’re casual and brief for a mainstream audience.

21. Schindet Nemo

“And why would you play a game you hate for 430+ hours? Honestly”

That’s pretty easy actually. I hated Oblivion at first,(especially the god awful german localisation) but after ~8GB of mods – including some complete overhauls – it became one of the most fun RPGs I’ve played.

22. UuBuU

@21 – Well duh, I didn’t like vanilla Oblivion much either. But it only took me about 20 hours to realise that mods were needed to make the game enjoyable.

Playing the game for 430 hours and thinking “what an awful game” is just ridiculous.

23. Erthazus

“And why would you play a game you hate for 430+ hours?”

After +100500 mods game was solid more or less.

“They’re casual and brief for a mainstream audience.”

Fable, Mass Effect? Yes.

but witcher 2, Risen 2, Kingdoms of amalur (from the creators of Morrowind, with writers like Salvatore) are NOT, Dragon Age 1 (not 2-nd)

SKYIM is already a mainstream game and it’s a fact. Producer just said: “We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,” + console SKU and port for the PC is enough for me.

24. UuBuU

@23 – Kingdoms of Amalur will suck. I don’t care if they have one of the designers of Morrowind, it looks awful.

Anyway, I guess it just comes down to whether you view mods as part of the game when considering how good it is.

Personally, I see them as part of the package. Even if Bethesda screw up in a lot of areas and dumb certain things down, mods will fix it and the Skyrim i’m playing well end up looking and feeling completely different to the Skyrim some console gamer is playing.

The mere fact that Bethesda continues to support the enormous modding community TES has kind’ve makes any comments about the game being a mainstream console port irrelevant.

25. Nozz

This is what I got from this article:

Basically have a blast through the game on my console and enjoy all it has to offer, then get it for PC once the modding community have had time to mod the living hell out of the game and enjoy it all over again.

The majority of stupid (using the term lightly) things that Bethesda do with this game with be “addressed” by the modding community over time anyway, so you could say this is a win/win situation.

26. LOLshock94

you guys are all dick heads when yous all so the trailer yous are like OMG good graphics and this is my GOTY and now yous are like this game is gunna be shit with shitty loading time and god aweful graphics i seriously hope PC gaming dies

27. Big_Boss

@26 Keep dreaming noob. Get your head out of your ass and you might stop being a consolefag. I like my PS3 and my PC, both have great games and both have shitty ports. It’s shitty ports that anger me. The system has the horsepower but lazy incompetent developers spend more time on one system (usually Xbox360) than all the others. I expect a game tailored for each system, if they can’t do that than don’t bother.

I’m sure Skyrim will look good on the PC even though it will be ported from weaker hardware but it will not look nearly as good as it would have, if the PC was lead lead SKU. BF3 will look amazing on PC, PS3, Xbox360 because it is developed for each system specifically, optimized for each platform. Thus everyone gets a quality game.

BTW, all you people saying Witcher on Xbox is gonna be amazing, I do not disagree but you’re gonna be looking at graphics equivalent to Low settings on PC. Enjoy :)

28. M. K.

@26: That’s how they roll :>

29. Drovidi

I’ll get it for the engine, then mod the hell out of it until it’s a TES experience. Until the appropriate mods come out, it’s back to Morrowind.

I sincerely hope the developers regret abandoning the the things that made the series great.

30. Stardog

How is this news? We’ve known this since Oblivion when they removed the entire shadow system because consoles are shit.

31. TVs Everywhere

No. Just no.

This seriously puts a damper on my excitement for the game, and it really was my most anticipated game of the year.

They better not even think about cutting back on modding capabilities. If they do this will go from “Day 1 buy” to “Wait until $5 Steam sale”.

32. jldoom

Still buying it.

33. OwnedWhenStoned

#26: Barely literate troll who needs to read #27.

I have a PC and a PS3. I actually bought the PS3 to watch blurays as all of my gaming was done on the PC, but I find that I like playing driving games and FIFA with a controller.

But what I expect is quality, regardless of what system I’m playing on. A crappy port is a crappy port, no matter which direction it was ported.

It’s pure laziness from developers and this whole pathetic Consoles V PC dickslapping handbags at ten paces shit serves only to let them get away with it.